• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C185: Flint tip tanks or fuel bladders in a cargo pod

BritishCubBloke

SPONSOR
Bellingen, NSW, Australia
Hopefully, I am going to be buying a C185 for ultimate use in Australia, where distances are massive and fuel can be scarce, though places to land mostly aren't. Being able to carry more avgas would be incredibly useful.

Flint tip tanks are good, but they are basically a $20K install: http://flintaero.com/kits/extended-tip-tanks/185-2/

If there is an existing cargo pod, what do people think about:

a) Legality of carrying unvented fuel bladders in the pod?
b) Safety of carrying unvented fuel bladders in the pod in potentially 110 degrees Fahrenheit of heat?
c) The advisability of refuelling from the bladders at a tinder dry desert strip under the blazing sun in the above 110 degrees, whether I use an earthing rod and an earthed funnel or not?

Hmm, by listing a) b) and c) above have I talked myself out of carrying fuel bladders?!

I want to keep the belly pod for cargo when I want to carry it, so fuel pod is no good.

I use a Mr Funnel for refuelling, which is supposed to be bonded. I earth the aircraft first, using a copper rod and some jumper cables to the exhaust, then put the funnel in, touch the metal jerry can to the funnel, then fill up. Wrong? Right?

I like my internal Flints. They add that little extra edge that gives you a nice comfort factor on long trips. Particularly when on floats doing an out and back to no man's land. $20K installed sounds extremely high, however you are down under perhaps that is the difference? As I recall it was about 30 hours of labor. The Flints eliminate the time to land, refuel, take off and climb back to cruise altitude. Also the engine burns less fuel while leaned out cruising along in flight than it does when adding in a stop along with another climb. Thus you get greater range being able to transfer in flight while chasing the setting sun.

Maybe you want to investigate Jerrie Mock whose story is written in "Three Eight Charlie". In 1964 she flew round the world in a Cessna 180 that was pretty much a flying gas tank. I expect the FAA records for N1538C are an interesting read. I just talked myself into ordering the records. jrh

I like my internal Flints. They add that little extra edge that gives you a nice comfort factor on long trips. Particularly when on floats doing an out and back to no man's land. $20K installed sounds extremely high, however you are down under perhaps that is the difference? As I recall it was about 30 hours of labor. The Flints eliminate the time to land, refuel, take off and climb back to cruise altitude. Also the engine burns less fuel while leaned out cruising along in flight than it does when adding in a stop along with another climb. Thus you get greater range being able to transfer in flight while chasing the setting sun.

There are two different Flint tank mods for the 185:

1. The internal, slip in tanks, which you're describing. They add ~ 12.5 gallons per side, and are a FAIRLY simple mod.....remove wing tip and tip rib, slide tank into outboard bay, install pumps/plumbing/wiring, replace tip rib and tip. Pretty simple. And SHOULD be far less than $20 K to do.

2. The other Flint tanks for 185 are wing extensions. They beef up the outboard section of the wings and extend the wings, much like the Wing X mod, but these incorporate a fuel tank inside the tip extension. This mod is a pretty big undertaking, and $20 K may be realistic cost. Adde benefit, however, is that this mod also bumps gross weight to 3600 pounds, and 14 or 15 gallons/side, depending on which model 185.

If you're going to be hauling big loads (like with a pod), that GW increase may be important for you.

Both the Flint tank setups work fine, and are a way better way to carry fuel to me than bags or a belly tank.

MTV

Last edited:
Where is the fuel line junction when adding flint tip tanks?
The fuel line "Ts" into the main fuel line where it goes down the rear door post.

My buddies 182 has them and they are transfer tanks to the mains, one at a time.
They are placarded to "transfer one at a time" but can both be transferred simultaneously. The one at a time placard likely came from the original gravity feed STC. I suppose it could have been possible to get an unbalance situation if you were not paying attention.

There are two different Flint tank mods for the 185:

1. The internal, slip in tanks, which you're describing. They add ~ 12.5 gallons per side, and are a FAIRLY simple mod.....remove wing tip and tip rib, slide tank into outboard bay, install pumps/plumbing/wiring, replace tip rib and tip. Pretty simple. And SHOULD be far less than $20 K to do.

MTV
They are placarded for 12.5 gallons but actually hold 13.5 gallons for a total of 27 gallons.

Thanks everyone. Solid gold advice as usual. stewartb there is nothing rational about my decision-making!

I am love with Cubs and 185s. What is a man to do?!

If you do install Flint tanks be sure to test them for pin hole leaks prior to installation. I'm sure that the quality is better now than when I bought mine a long time ago. It is a pain in the neck to remove a few rivets to pull them back out.

I have internal Flints on my 185 and really like them, great for tankering fuel when in remote areas.

If you don't already have WingX extensions I would say external Flints are the best deal. They hold more fuel than the internal ones, increase gross weight and increase lift noticeably for STOL with no cruise penalty and maybe a slight benefit to cruise when heavy and high.

What about a "Turtle pac" in the cargo pod. Can plumb it into the plane, or not. Roll it up when you dont want it. I think thats what I am going to do when I cross the ditch. Google them as I seem unable to post the link. Made in Aus too.

Back