• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Can aliens own RVs in the US?

BES

Esbjerg, Denmark
I hope you won't mind my picking your brains a little bit? The thing is, Mrs. Mette and I are very fond of visiting the US. We usually rent Hertz cars and live in hotels along the way. Now we have fostered the brilliant idea of buying a used RV to keep in the US for us (and the kids, I guess - they'll want to borrow it as soon as we have it :roll:) to use for our meanderings when we come over. Please could you share your view on such a plan?

• Would it be legal for us as Danish citizens to own a vehicle in the US?
  • Can you park an RV in a self-storage facility for a couple of months at a time, or would you have a different solution to that?
  • What would we have to do about insurance?
  • Looking at different websites, it seems that a good choice would be a Ford F350-based RV that sleeps four. We don't need at large one, but would appreciate a sturdy, good quality one. They seem to run approx. $20K if they are 5-6 years old and with 50K miles on them - does that sound resonable?
  • If we decide to go ahead, we would need the RV around the Seattle area in July 2016. Does anyone have experience with dealers it the Pacific Northwest?
Sorry for the many questions, but it seems like a good idea - at least from here. Best,
Bent,Denmark

I doubt there's a restriction against you owning a vehicle as long as it's registered here so the government can get some taxes from you. Honestly it may serve you better to rent. Let somebody else take the depreciation hit. You always get to use current equipment and you wouldn't have to worry about storage, insurance, maintenance, etc.

I had a conversation with an old friend a couple of days ago where he complained about a $750 per month motor home payment 12 months a year for a toy he uses for 2 weeks a year. Do an honest balance sheet on something like that and you can stay in the Ritz Carlton for those weeks and save money. I told him that thinking applies to my airplane, too. I could charter whenever I wanted to go for less than the cost of ownership. But I don't plan to sell anytime soon. Things we do don't always make sense on paper. Enjoy your travels. Add Alaska to your list!

My first thought was " why would they want to? An RV couldn't possible fly as good as their saucer. Unless they wanted to fly around a little more incognito"

I have more or less just gone through this process, the problems you may have may be with the insurance,not a deal breaker.They will kill you if you don't have a US drivers Licence,US social security number or a US credit reference.If you are looking to finance these guys will do almost anything for you at a price - http://expatride.com
May be easier just to use Cruise America are any of the similar RV hire companies,much less hassle and probably more cost effective in the long run.

Oregon has no sales tax and registration prices are very reasonable.

i would search craigslist for a used RV.

Yes, you can store vehicles at some self-storage sites. I don't know the typical rates.

A friend of ours has this one:

FOR SALE: Asking 39,700.00
Low Blue Book Is 43,000.00
1997 40' American Eagle EV Diesel Pusher.
I am the 2nd owner and I purchased it in 2006 with my parents.
as time as gone on and my parents getting older I have been the only one to use the RV and well as the only one it has become just to big for 1 person, so I have decided to let it go to a new home.
I have done upgrades as time as gone on and has been well maintained.
In April 2006 I had installed a new Fridge, Oven and Automatic Winngate Salitite Dish on Roof.
In 2007 I had installed new Shades in the front of the RV.
Just in the past few years, I have had a new water pump installed, new bathroom fixture, new shower head, Installed New Flush Toilet, new equipment replaced for front air suspension, new motor for step, new tires, new front wheel hub covers, installed new parts for outside awning, installed new cover over slide, & just engine completely serviced last year with only 1 outing since serviced.
Xtra's that were installed on RV a Really Nice Bug Shield, Bigger Bed (Queen Size Air Mattress with a his and her's adjustment) TV's front and back and the front TV can work on it's own cable box and the bedroom TV can work on it's own cable box so that you can watch 2 different shows if wanted. Both TV's have there own dvd players in them as well and work. It Comes with Tow Bar as well!
It runs great, rides great, very easy to live in, travel in and drive.
Cons: 1 small conpartment door does not work and is locked, it so small I never used it.
Buyer is responsible for delivery & If close by I may go ahead and deliver to you for just the fuel cost.
I have a clear title.
I AM SORRY FOR IT BEING DIRTY ON THE OUTSIDE WHERE I HAVE IT IT WILL JUST GET DIRTY WITH IN A FEW DAYS, AS IT WILL BE DETAILED BEFORE IT LEAVES MY HANDS!
THE INSIDE HAS BEEN COMPLETELY CLEANED AS HAS THE ALL THE STORAGE AREA'S ETC.
Asking 39,700.00
Low Blue Book Is 43,000.00

Storage varies on cost greatly. Always storage somewhere you can get easily

When I first saw this I thought he meant a van's RV and thought it was an odd question to ask on this forum! You can definitely own pretty much anything here. I live in an area with about 100,000 winter visitors, RV storage is everywhere here. I would guess it is about $100 a month. I don't know how you can get an American driver's license on a tourist VISA though, you can drive it with your Danish license though.

Back