• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Another stretched pacer build!

SClow303

Mansfield, Ohio
I was alerted over at Back Country Pilot that there was so great activity and discussion in regards to the stretched pacer build going on over here so I just had to show up! My name is Streeter Clow and I am in North Central Ohio and I just brought home a new project this past Sunday and tore right into it. Back in the 1990's while I Was in high school a good friend on my dads was working on a Javelin V6 STOL build that I was in love with.... not the Ford engine by any means but the 4 place Bush style aircraft as a whole. After seeing the Producer on several sites over the past 3-4 years building a stretched pacer has been all I could think about. This past month I found out that my friends build from the 90's was in a warehouse about 1 mile from my home airport and was in need of a new owner. It has been sitting for quite sometime and needed some love. I went to look at it and was just to overwhelmed by the great deal I could it for and decided it just had to come home with me. The first day was simply getting it to my shop and taking inventory of all the parts. I could not stand to look at it with that Ford engine hanging on the nose so off it came before the airframe was even rolled into the shop. Yesterday I nicely removed all the electrical and labeled it. I left everything for the ignition on the firewall and removed it as a whole. The instrument panel came out and placed on the shelf. Today was the first real day of work. The entire airframe was uncovered and I started to remove the floor. I was really surprised how the nice tubing was underneath. Saturday will be getting ready to inspect the tubes and formulate a plan for what will be changed. My good friend who is building an experimental cub right now has an engineering background and is helping me out. I LOVE the gear on the producers and plan to go that route. I will make two sets up front since we will be doing them here in house. My friend also owns a full fabrication shop so that comes in handy! After reading all the Blanton manuals and reviewing the plans I can see some things that need major changes. I really look forward to all the expertise on here. I was blown away when I say Airwrench offering help up in D.A.'s thread. One thing about me is that I have thick skin and mostly want a SAFE, good performer.

A little wish list for the build is as follows...

- 60 inch sky light.
- Elongated and squared off rear windows.
- Super Cub style gear, hopefully with AOSS.
- Second smaller baggage door above the stock one for the top baggage area.
- Second light set up in the right wing with LED lighting.
- ACS billet yokes.
- Gullwing patroller doors on both sides.
- Squared off PA-18 sized tail.
- O-360 up front.

Right now the wings are extended 18 inches each with the ailerons pushed out to the Hornier tips. I am still trying to process the semi cantilever design as mine utilizes the heavy duty 5/8 fork struts in the standard PA-22 length. My flaps are 87 inches long.

I was trying to link some picks but the post kept getting denied. As soon as I figure it out I Will post some of the progress so far!

Congratulations, And the best on your build. If I can help or offer any particular advice, let me know. I won't give away the STC information, but being experimental there are many different ways to go and I have opted to go that way on a few builds also. Saw the pics on the other site - it looks good. And it sounds like you make a good first move in losing the Ford motor. Good Wishes. - Steve

Thanks Steve! Your producer has been my screen page since I started looking for a project to build! This weekend we are going through the fuselage bottom to see what we need to change to allow running a set of gear like yours. I like the idea of using the stock rear mount with a new mount at the forward station under the panel and the external Vee setup. I like the look the wider top section a lot. I am not sure if we will take the cross tube out in that section and and sleeve it or need to do more reinforcing. I am anxious to get into it tomorrow.

IMG_1634.jpg

Did it start life as a colt? Saw the pics after blue powder coat. Post up more pics of the changes to the entry doors and removal of the hydrosorb framework please.

That blue one posted on my thread was someone else's that they built. Very nice. I am trying to get him post more pics of it. I will be beginning the process of removing my hydrosorbs this week.

image.jpgI built my bushmaster 15 years ago - still think it's one of the best airplanes I've flown. Built mine with a 31 inch stretch - continental 0-470 - seaplane doors - full skylight - supercub style gear - edo 2790 amphibs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 272
I love my pacer. I'd love to build a stretch one day. Keep the pics of yours coming!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

It is kind of how the pic came out with the lighting and the old glue / two tone primer on the longeron. There is a 2 degree bend just behind the baggage door and right at the rear handles that account for the stretch area. The tubes in between are nice and straight but it does look funny in that pic.

This past week I got the firewall all removed as well as all the flooring. Today I am hoping to start wrapping my mind around what I want to do for the gear. I was originally going to go with a set of gear that were wider at the top then standard PA-18 gear but now I think I am going to stick with stock 3 inch extended gear. I am sitting with the Northland Drawings looking at the gear attachment structures and hopefully getting ready to start fabbing. I think today will be a thinking day... making sure I have all my ducks in a row. I will be using a hybrid of others builds to reinforce the lower fuselage structure. Most likely the battery will be removed from under the right seat and an Exp. lightweight battery will be placed on the firewall. I have also started to lay out the plans for the 60 inch sky light. I will be ordering the steel channel and other things needed for that later today.

I just finished my stretched Pacer and I am really enjoying flying it.

Two of us are trying to assemble all the Bushmaster drawing on a CD. But, we are missing SAC-2100, SAC-2200 all sheets and SAC-2700 sheets 2,3 & 4.

If anyone can help out please contact me at steph3339 at gmail dot com

We wil return the drawings and provide the CD

Steve

Back