• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaskan Sunset Flying on Floats (video)

Nice Alex, That is an interesting glow in the middle of the power flow exhaust. I landed in Homer once on my travels, 1980 or 81. There was an old Travel Air (6000?) in the hangar with the wings off. I often wonder what happened with it? I've always been fascinated with the 1920s and 1930s vintage planes.

Nice Alex, That is an interesting glow in the middle of the power flow exhaust. I landed in Homer once on my travels, 1980 or 81. There was an old Travel Air (6000?) in the hangar with the wings off. I often wonder what happened with it? I've always been fascinated with the 1920s and 1930s vintage planes.

I agree Alex, another neat video.

Skywagon, this should answer your questions about the Travel Air 6000
http://www.alaskaseaplanes.com/book.html

Or it may have been this one:
travel_air.jpg

Attachments

• travel_air.jpg
    travel_air.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 158
Skywagon, this should answer your questions about the Travel Air 6000
http://www.alaskaseaplanes.com/book.html

Or it may have been this one:
View attachment 17279

Thanks spinner2, I suspect that it may have been the first one N9084. I saw it in August 1980 in the back of the hangar without wings and tail, covered with a thick layer of dust. It had a ground adjustable prop and this one seems to have Hamilton-Standard 2B20 or 2D30 controllable. The wheels are different too. This one has the axles penetrating the hub caps. The one that I saw did not. It also had an oil cooler hanging under the engine. I don't see one in these pictures.

I also found another one (N9966) on 6470s with a P&W 985 and metalized fuselage at Phillips field in Fairbanks. And a third, dismantled and uncovered at Birchwood.

Nice video Alex. Looks like we'll have to put the floats away for the winter in another week or so.

Skywagon, there's a book about Bill deCreeft's 1929 Travel Air 6000 (NC9084) titled, "Travel Air NC9084" by Jim Rearden. That might be the one you saw in Homer. Lot's of info about that model of plane. Like all of Rearden's books, it's a pretty good read.

Jim W

My dad and uncle used to own N9966 in the 60's. They sold it to Cliff Everetts and Cliff's son Rob restored it. Its BEAUTIFUL!

G44

I want to put the C-172 back on wheels in a few days... I am looking for a copy of a 337 for a field approval to install the heavy duty nose wheel fork.

Nice Alex! How is the 172 working out for a float trainer? I would imagine pretty good.

Kurt

I want to put the C-172 back on wheels in a few days... I am looking for a copy of a 337 for a field approval to install the heavy duty nose wheel fork.

Alex/Float Pilot,

I don't know if Mel is still there but when I was flying for Cook Inlet Aviation, he was the IA and had a 337 when I put a 206 nose gear and 8.50 on my 79 172. There should be others around ANC.

Video is very nice...made me relive the trip to Seldovia when you turned out over the spit and across the bay. Kinda miss Homer but the Winter is a lot shorter in Idaho!!

Back