• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Spam Can almost ready for SES clients...

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
As many of you know I sold the old PA-11 to Ernie up north and two of his sons. I really miss that plane.

This year I will be trying a C-172-160 with a Power Flow exhaust (flies about like a 180 horse) on PeeKay-2300 floats.
While everyone said it would be a dog on the water, it is actually doing just fine.
Right now I am waiting for a couple days for the ventral tail fin to arrive.
Installing PK floats when you are used to all things EDO is really an experience.

The PKs are a big flat top float with an odd sized float pump out and weird sized plugs. But they do not sink with I walk my fat butt to the aft section.

Attachments

• 2013-01-01 031 (1280x575).jpg
    2013-01-01 031 (1280x575).jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 2013-01-01 047 (1024x767).jpg
    2013-01-01 047 (1024x767).jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Hi Alex,

Just to stop perpetuating the misconception. Adding a power flow DOES NOT increase your power from 160 to 180 HP. It allows your 160 hp engine (rated without an exhaust) to achieve closer to its rated power. So if the Cessna exhaust sucks up 10% power (144 'on the prop' , and the Powerflow only 5% (152 on the prop), then you have 8hp more.

I'm not knocking the product, have one on my 180 hp C172 amphib, and it does help.

Don

I gained 200 feet per minute more climb, an additional 130 rpm in level flight and knocked a good bit of distance off my ground take-off run.
All at the same temps, and baro pressures as compared to the original exhaust.
It seems to perform very closely to the numerous standard exhaust 180 horse C-172s that I have flown for the CAP.
It is annoying loud though..

Now, Alex....not EVERYone said the PeeKays would be doggy off the water. :lol:

They're great floats, but they do require that the pilot participate in the takeoff.

Congrats on getting her going.

MTV

I was referring to some folks who said 172s were doggy on floats. Maybe compared to a Husky... But she does better than I thought she would.

As for working the PKs off the water... I had some very good advise from some old fish-cop.

I'd rather not have to pump out floats, but I'd rather pump out PeeKay's than EDO's.

What did that ol' fish cop have to say about PeeKay ops? :)

Back