• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float parking/fuel in Whitehorse

NimpoCub

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital o
Got this from a friend in Whitehorse. The City Fathers there want to further restrict transient parking near the fuel dock (above the dam). Please take the time to answer the skill testing questions on the survey, with an eye to transient parking. I also wrote to "Erica" (one of the planners) her eddress is on one of the pages. Pass this on you your float flying buds. Thanks ****Good day! We Yukon float flyers need your assistance in the worst way ....in short, the City of Whitehorse is planning on restricting your float access to the only suitable float flying lake in the City of Whitehorse. For years, our float facility has been less than adequate for transiant float flyers and with our Alaska/BC friends input, we may be able to make significant changes. Our city meeting is November 7th, thus we would like as many Alaskans/BC residents to complete the online survey. http://www.whitehorse.ca/schwatkalake

We thank you very much ahead of time for your cooperation,and we ask that you pass this message along to all of the float flyers/organizations you know.

Sincerely, your friendly Yukon flyers!

Jean-Michel Sauve
Director - COPA 106 Yukon Chapter
Whitehorse, YT
867-335-7889

To: copayukon@hotmail.com
Subject: Schwatka Lake Planning Process
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:07:39 -0700

Hello All

A topic of concern that needs your full attention:

The City of Whitehorse is looking at revising the Schwatka Lake Waterfront Policy, which, amongst other things, restricts the number of float planes that can be docked at the Lake. We urge all interested parties to complete the on-line survey which can be found at:

http://www.whitehorse.ca/schwatkalake

There will also be a Public and Stakeholder Workshop to be held on
Thursday November 7, from 7 to 9 P.M. at the Public Safety Building at 305 Range Road.

Please make your voice heard!
Christoph for COPA Yukon
http://www.copayukon.com

Thanks Nimpo,

I might try to go to that meeting... spent more than one night in Whitehorse waiting for weather!

Thanks for the heads-up Nimpo, just completed the survey. As of right now there is no "transient parking" as such on Schwatka lake. The dock adjacent the fuel tank is a private dock. However the owners typically allow transient parking.... I believe they still offer fuel sales as well.

Im sure that it wouldnt hurt. I am unable to make it as I'll be out of town but I think that the more people that show up the better. I think your voice would be important as an out of towner who would really benifit from a transient dock.

As of right now there is no "transient parking" as such on Schwatka lake. The dock adjacent the fuel tank is a private dock. However the owners typically allow transient parking.
Luckily we met a Judge in Atlin who told us to use his (& a bud's) docks. JM Sauve took us into town & bought lunch! Then to the museum for an hour or so, he came back & told us we'd have to grab a cab as he was on a code 3 call to an accident. Gas was 20c a liter cheaper than Dease lake. Nice country up there! Yeah, go George! He asked for attendance from Ak & BC float fliers to complain about transient parking @ the fuel dock.

If the rest of you SCubbers FWD the survey info to anyone who might be interested, that'd be good too!! Thanks.

This sounds similar to Churchill MB, one of the worst float facilities in Canada and they rely on tourism. I plan on going northwest on my tours next season and Whitehorse could be a option if I go further west to AK from MN. They are forcing us straight float guys into Amphibs, more government in action!

Forum folks, the response to the Schwatka Lake Survey was a success. Between all the associations and Forums that pitched in there was a outstanding showing considering the short notice on this subject. I have copied the response from the COPA rep in the Yukon and will also respond with the report on the meeting when I receive it

Bill W. CSPA V. P.
icon_e_biggrin.gif

"Good day Bill, we attended the meeting last night. The survey showed an overwhelming percentage coming from float flyers, as a matter of fact, 302 surveys total were completed and 95% were from float flyers! 27% of the respondents were from outside of Whitehorse, that's probably all of the great work you and Tom George in Fairbanks, Ak did spreading the word around. "

"As for the meeting, our President Randy Shewen was present and will be writing a short resume which I will then forward to you as soon as I receive it."

"Thank you very much for your support Bill, it is very much appreciated,"

"Cheers, J-M "

Schwatka Lake Survey Report

The Schwatka Lake Report:
As promised by Jean-Michel Sauve, Director - COPA 106 Yukon Chapter, I have received a recap of the meeting and Survey that was conducted concerning the Schwatka Lake waterfront and its uses into the future, see attachment. The recap of the survey is very encouraging from the standpoint of support for floatplane uses. All who responded are to be thanked for their contribution of time to make the importance of this seaplane base very clear to the City of Whitehorse.

I have also copied, from Jean-Michel’s email, an exchange with Erica Beasley, City Planner, concerning the position of the City. “
The City of Whitehorse recognizes the importance of Schwatka Lake for float plane use (local and transient) and understands the transportation, economic, and recreational benefits that float planes bring to our city. “

Bill Wainwright
CSPA Vice President
SPA Field Director for Oregon

Jean-Michel wrote:
”Hi Bill, as promised, here is the survey results that was handed out at the meeting. Please share and thank you very much for your support. We will keep you updated as the process continues.

Cheers, J-M

Jean-Michel Sauve
Director - COPA 106 Yukon Chapter
Whitehorse, YT
867-335-7889”

Erica Beasley wrote, on November 4th :
“Hi Jean-Michel,

Thanks for speaking with me today and for sharing our project info with your association (and the Alaskan associations) regarding the Schwatka Lake planning process underway for the area’s west shore. As mentioned, there seems to be some mis-information circulating about the goals of the project…

The City of Whitehorse recognizes the importance of Schwatka Lake for float plane use (local and transient) and understands the transportation, economic, and recreational benefits that float planes bring to our city. Through the planning process, we are seeking to maintain the lake’s aviation function, while improving the management structure of the area and developing a long term vision (20+ years). These goals, as well as other project info, are listed on the project website: www.whitehorse.ca/schwatkalake

We are certainly interested to hear from local and Alaskan pilots about any challenges they have with using the west shore, and ideas/opportunities for improvements. The City is also aware of recreational interests expressed for the area (which include sailing and trail development) – we’re excited to provide the opportunity for different user-groups to come together to explore if such uses may be compatible with the aerodrome function of the lake.

If any of your members are interested to attend the Public and Stakeholder Workshop this Thursday, November 7[SUP]th[/SUP] (Mount McIntyre Recreation Centre, 7 to 9pm) please have them send me an RSVP at erica.beasley@whitehorse.ca – this will allow us to coordinate enough staff and refreshments for the event. I would also be pleased to speak with anyone that is unable to attend, and can be contacted at 867-668-8600.

Thanks! I look forward to engaging with you and your association further as the process unfolds.

Erica Beasley
Planner II
Planning Services

City of Whitehorse
Phone: (867) 668-8600
www.whitehorse.ca

Attachments

• Schwatka Lake Meeting Handout.pdf
    909.7 KB · Views: 116
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: SCHWATKA LAKE AREA PLAN DRAFT FOR REVIEW Whitehorse – The Draft Schwatka Lake Area Plan is now available for public input. Residents are encouraged to provide feedback until September 1. The Plan focuses on aviation, recreation, environmental protection, and other land uses and activities on the west shore of Schwatka Lake. The Plan’s recommendations have been developed following public consultation that has included two public workshops, two online surveys, and stakeholder interviews. An informational open house is scheduled for Thursday, June 26 at the Mount McIntyre Recreation Centre from 6 to 9 pm. Residents are invited to drop in any time to view information panels and speak with staff. Public input received on the Draft Plan will be considered before the final document is presented to City Council for adoption in the Fall. Visit www.whitehorse.ca/schwatkalake to view the Draft Plan and submit comments. For more information, contact Erica Beasley, Planner, at 668-8600 or email erica.beasley@whitehorse.ca.

DRAFT 2: SCHWATKA LAKE AREA PLAN

Draft 2 of the Schwatka Lake Area Plan is now available online at www.whitehorse.ca/schwatkalake. The Plan provides 37 recommendations for infrastructure and management improvements for the western shore of the lake.

Back