• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

"SAFE" wheels down amphib landing (gear)

NimpoCub

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital o
Mike Hirshfield here. I’m the Membership Chairman of the BC Floatplane
Association. I’m also a private pilot with 60 years flying experience. I’ve
been an amphib pilot for 19 years.

In response to your invitation to comment on amphib safety flying…on your
subject of wheels down water landings of amphibious aircraft.

The certified amphib aircraft are locked in to some form of check.
Example.. a checklist, voice recorders, lights, buzzers, mirrors, visual
retraction flags..all help but are not foolproof. The homebuilt aircraft
on the other hand, would be free to design safety into their machine, to not
flip. I have done this with my aircraft. The solution is an engineering
one.

My amphib is a homebuilt, so I could design it so that it would not flip at
landing speeds with wheels down on the water. There was no intention of
testing this feature but test it I did. Twice. Raven Lake in Pitt Meadows
and Schoolhouse Lake in the Cariboo (both within BC). A great lot of spray
and a very quick stop was the result. And a pilot that felt very stupid was
all that happened on both occasions.

My aircraft is a stretched TriPacer with a designed wing and a systems
designed automotive engine. The floats were specifically designed so as the
aircraft they carried, at landing speeds with wheels down, would not flip.
However, there was much more than designing the floats. The entire aircraft’s
centre of gravity, the distance from the fuselage to the floats, extra
floatation in the front of the floats, fuel carried in the floats rather
than the wings, the length of the fuselage, the design and type of the spray
rails, the size of the floats (2500’s), many items contributed to a safe
landing amphibious float plane with wheels down.

The two landings I made with wheels down – one was with two people up front
and the other was just with the pilot, which would be maximum forward CG.
With passengers in the rear there would be much less likelihood of a flip.
The large slotted flaps (designed by Abbott and Doenhoff in the Theory of
Wing Sections) contribute greatly to the low landing speeds in the 45 mph
range.

Stephen, thank you for this opportunity to comment on your topic of flying
safety. I too hope other pilots will have successful wheels down landings
on water.

Sincerely,
Mike Hirshfield

Pretty cool idea...

Wonder how often the "it can't flip so I can relax" brain cell would take over and cause even worse accidents?

A great quote from a Chief Pilot: No amount of engineering and warning systems can replace brains in the cockpit.

George, you're absolutely right for a change, but I thought his engineering was cool. :)!

it is cool... but at the same time I read he has "tested" it twice through brainfart, and did that in how many hours???

Is this going to be like a Capstone where folks start believing it is ok to not keep track of what they are doing????

I like the engineering, very cool idea and great that it works. But I hope folks don't train with that and then decide to go to a 185...

Amazing what "reasons" that someone can come up with after a gear down! :lol: From past history...I know that you can land a North Star (SCub clone) on amphibs gear down and not flip... just a good thing my neighbour always lands at under 50mph. I watched the short slide from the dock. CH701 on Zenair amphibs.. no issue landing gear down I've lost track of the times my father in law has done it, bastard has 49 lives. Murphy Rebel on Amphibs... you can have a hydraulic failure that generally will drop the mains due to gravity. It will not flip the airplane as the gear only sticks out about 2 ". This is the big issue with most amphibs, the main gear is out 6/7/8 inches.. the airplane hits on the tires and pivots nose forward into the water until the nose forks catch and become a hinge point QUICKLY. Also another reason I dislike the EDO, 2700 series I believe, that have the "dog leg" front wheel assembly and the Clamar nose wheel assemblies. That wheel hanging below the bow takes some wiggle room out of the equation.

Hi,
My husband and I are seaplane pilots. We are in the process of purchasing an aircraft nearly identical to yours and we're considering our options as far as putting it on floats. We were very interested in this post and wondering if you are Mike or you were just posting this for him. We'd like to engage you or Mike if you were just posting in further discussion of his experiences with the plane. Thanks so much. Barbara

Eire, I know of one amphib Clamar 2200A equipped Cub here that landed gear down in the water. Lots of spray and drama, but stayed upright at the end without damage. (other than to his shorts and ego...being witnessed by the crowds of a local supper cruise vessel.) He reacted the instant the tires hit the water, went full left rudder, submerging the right float, which popped back in the air and probably half submerged the left float, which popped back up and left the Cub sitting there soaking wet and idling after a very short stop...

Back