• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New wheel skis

I did that and came to a stop fast,
Big no no to not track it first, plus i had a tail ski on that did not help.

I don't know how I missed this post last spring. You need more friends to gaji up the lake before you fly in. It's soooo tempting after new snow. :)

Termination Dust showed today. Ski season's coming.

PS, those are some nice wheel skis, too.

Last edited:
Nice, Looking forward to ski flying ,these are Trickair skis they work great on Super cub, i have a pair on my cub and i will not go back to strait or hydrolic, lite and simple.

How do they work in deep fresh snow or sticky wet snow? Never been impressed with "penetrators" when compared to straight skis.

Greg

Watching that video they sure don't ride on top... not enough nose IMHO, but hey I build skis. :smile:

I did that and came to a stop fast,
Big no no to not track it first, plus i had a tail ski on that did not help.

Unless he had already landed a few minutes earlier a little ways away, giving him a current heads up on the snow conditions. AND.... as long as his last landing wasn't significantly lower or higher elevation, AND had the same sun on the snow conditions, either of which of course can make a big difference! But yeah, if he just arrived from who knows where and committed without laying down tracks he's asking for trouble. Ski flying really make a guy think harder then just about any other type of flying, especially landing slopes with double fall lines and cross winds. Can't wait!

There you go, AKflyr, internet ski flying lessons to get you up to speed. :)

After last winter being grounded, I'm itching to put the Fluidynes on the 180. I'm always in a hurry to get the skis on but truth is I almost never fly before February. There's plenty of winter ahead.

Last edited:
Crash check the pic on my avatar its 1.5 feet of fresh snow, and for the sticky stuff its the same i was quite impressed with them ,this cub was fitted with strait ( 2000 with plastic ) when i got it ,then Fli lite 3000 ( not very good compared to Trickair and slow) the only downside to them is ground clearance (1 in ) but the plastic are .250 thick ,for now i have 3 season on them and far from ready to replace the bottom ( our strip is gravel ) imho its a very good inexpensive choice ( compared to hyd ) .

Interesting comments. I absolutely loved the FliLites on the -12. They were every bit as good as straight skis in the snow. And no slower than the 31s they replaced. The weight never bothered me. Straights are the best if you have a good parking situation. Hydraulics are a better compromise for guys who don't. Ground clearance? Choose your skis with that in mind. Advantage Rosti. AirGlides are right there as well. I'll run my AirGlides on the Cessna until somebody makes a Rosti-style 3600 or 4000. That would be sweet. My next Cub? Rostis or Rosti clones will be on the menu.

I think Rostis are closer to AirGlides in function and FliLites in shape. Airglas hydraulics aren't the same. They're more like FliLites but with fixed tail wheels.

Back