PDA

View Full Version : how many friends does it take

swoeric
01-10-2013, 03:25 PM
so i have a pair of skis not that ill get to use them much here in oklahoma....how many friends do you need to bring to the party to enjoy skis...in this video they have several

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPF7EtZTO9s

cubdriver2
01-10-2013, 03:49 PM
That was good. It's just like snowmobiling, it's a blast till it stops moving. The best friend they had was the snowmobiler but they didn't use him. At the least lay down a set of tracks on the first pass to park it in.

Glenn

On Patrol
01-10-2013, 04:05 PM
I guess in Quebec you never drag it first and as Glenn says where was the snow machine beisdes laughing.

swoeric
01-10-2013, 04:28 PM
it looks like a fun time as long as you knew you could get out of the deep stuff....I have a set of heath wood skis that i have not yet had a chance to use...they appear in really good shape.....would it be worth adding plastic bottoms

JP
01-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Wow. That's quite the bit of vid.:smile:

My 1500s have wider UHMW on the bottom to give me lots more float on deep powder, making it a joy to ski on. :-P

Slush, on the other hand, is a no win situation.:wink:

If I'm out playing on the lakes I'll go down and skim the landing area then go circle around for a low pass to look at the tracks I just laid down. If I see any grey snow in the tracks, no way am I landing. 8) Slush = bad. :evil: I got my fill of that in the 70s on our dear old Yamaha 292 snowmobile on the lakes of Northern Maine. I can still hear my dear old Dad cursing at me for burying the sled.....:oops:

cubdriver2
01-10-2013, 05:03 PM
it looks like a fun time as long as you knew you could get out of the deep stuff....I have a set of heath wood skis that i have not yet had a chance to use...they appear in really good shape.....would it be worth adding plastic bottoms

No. Remember, the plastic is nice but thousands of hours have been put on skis just the way they were originally built. Keep your classic skis classic, the wood is probley better then the Al bottoms. I have plastic on the bottom of the yellow skis I had in the video but I also run the Al bottom SC-1 without a problem. Taxiing makes friction, friction makes heat. When you park wait a minute and then move the plane back and forth after they cool and you will minimize the chance of freezing down or put a block of 2x4 under the ski. I've seen guy's use those plastic roll up sleds to park on. BUT if they freeze you've got some work. You need a way to get the frost off of the bottoms. If you have friends with you they can lift up the wing and you can scrape the bottoms with a credit card or alone you can pull a rope under the ski from front to back and saw the frost off, a 1/8 cable 4' long with handles works best for me but since I started moving the plane back and forth after the skis cool I haven't gotten stuck, yet.

Glenn

RaisedByWolves
01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Weird, i don't see Tim's plane stuck....

Wait

Found it, looked on this months calendar shot...

S2D
01-11-2013, 12:49 AM
so i have a pair of skis not that ill get to use them much here in oklahoma....how many friends do you need to bring to the party to enjoy skis..

Just call SteveE and MikeS if it snows I'll bet they'll be out

Dave Calkins
01-11-2013, 01:42 PM
I had a dream last night. Dreams are weird.

I shook the wings of a Cub to unstick it so it could taxi away.

The next Cub over at the tiedown area was tied down and I gave it a quick shake to see that the skis were free. I had to jump out of the way as it instantly sunk, just the top of the wings and the vertical fin sticking out of the snow. Funny dream! For some reason I left it where it sank. I remember being perplexed. :)

Dave Calkins
01-11-2013, 01:49 PM
right at the end of the video....about 4:21....the Aeronca Chief is getting pushed at the beginning of a takeoff run. The last guy pushing gives an extra shove and follow-through and it appears like he just 'hand-launched' a giant model airplane. Cool.

swoeric
11-25-2013, 12:23 AM
ok so not a plane but might come into play

http://www.snowaddiction.org/2013/11/you-will-not-believe-how-these-russians-get-this-car-out-of-a-frozen-lake.html

wirenuts
01-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Very cool, thats a hell of a way to start a day of ice fishing. the winch was the best. I like the idea and how they rigged it up.
Dave