• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna 180 float kit

ak2711c

Soldotna, AK
I know everybody cringes and gasps at the thought of installing a float kit on a 180 and looking at the parts break down it does look pretty extensive.......or is that expensive. :lol: What I am looking for is someone that has done it that has an idea what it takes and costs. I have called several repitable shops and the cost estimates range from $6000.00 (parts, labor, and paint mind you, they are crazy) all the way to $30,000 (also I think a bit crazy). Only one of the shops had ever done one before and he said about 12 years ago it was $10,000 and the price of the parts has gone up a bunch since then. So I am hoping someone has done one more recently for a comparative. I'm guessing $15,000 on the low end $25,000 on the high end.
Shawn

Seaplanes West... $16,000 is their advertised price.

Have it done by someone like them that has done it. Looked at quite a few planes that have aftermarket kits... all missing parts.

Shawn:
I think there is 3 different float kits depending on A/C year and Model number. The first kit was for 170, early 180s. They were simple, light and easy to install. The other 2 were more complicated, heavier and harder to install. The hardest part about the install is bucking the rivets on the door sill.
I don't have any recommendations for an installer.

I installed the float kit on my 1955 C-180. About 180 hours and $9,000 worth of parts. Had to make quite a few owner produced parts as well,mainly doublers, as those were no longer available for purchase. I have drawings for all year C-180 float kits if you need them.

Thanks for the input TJ. Yeah those door sill rivits are a bugger. I've installed several baggage doors in 170's and I fought it everytime. However I did find a new bucking bar that at least made it doable on the last one I did. We don't live too far apart so if you ever want to borrow it just let me know.
Thats good info Jake, that atleast gives me some idea. I would love to have a copy of those drawings if you don't mind. I'll PM you my info. Thanks,
Shawn

Jake, I'd really appreciate a copy the float kit drawing you used, I have a really nice 55 I'd love to look into putting on floats.
thanks, Jeff

Jake

I would also like a copy of the float kit drawings for the 55 C-180 as I want to install one this winter.

Thanks

Dale

To everyone that wanted float drawings-I have some stuff I need to catch up on, but should be able to send them out by the end if the month.

Well I decided to just install the float kit myself. I am planing on starting the float kit install in the next week or two. I have installed one in a 170B before and this is a 1957 model so it is not as extensive as some of the later models. I was able to buy a wrecked 55' 180 that had an undamaged float kit on it. I have most of the float kit removed from the wrecked plane. However it was not a factory installed kit so I still need to make sure the kit was complete.

Jake, if there is any chance of talking you out of a copy of those drawings I would be very gratefull. I think having that drawing would make this much easier. Thanks,
Shawn

55 and 56 have a different gear position I believe...

Beware, there are a number of differences between those year models, and I don't remember all of them.

Have fun with the project!

Are you refering to the forward swept gear legs? As far as I know the gear boxes on all 180's are in exactly the same position it is just differences in gear legs. The research I have done says that everything pre S/N 50662 uses the same float kit and mine is S/N 50114. By all means though if I am missing something, I am all ears. Thanks,
Shawn

ak2711c, you are right, the gear boxes are the same. 1953 and 1954 have gear legs that come out of the fuselage straight and starting in 1955 they rake forward for less of a nose over tendency.

Well I decided to just install the float kit myself. I am planing on starting the float kit install in the next week or two. I have installed one in a 170B before and this is a 1957 model so it is not as extensive as some of the later models. I was able to buy a wrecked 55' 180 that had an undamaged float kit on it. I have most of the float kit removed from the wrecked plane. However it was not a factory installed kit so I still need to make sure the kit was complete.

Jake, if there is any chance of talking you out of a copy of those drawings I would be very gratefull. I think having that drawing would make this much easier. Thanks,
Shawn

Not sure what year this started, but the later 180 s all require the. Ella skins to be doubled,which is the biggest part of the task.

MTV

OK Mike, I'll bite, I have looked at lots of 180 and owned a couple with float kits, what is an "Ella skins"?

Thank's
Tim

ak2711c, check your Personal Messages.

I have the drawings and the Cessna service kit instructions. Also, some of the doublers for the kit. DAVE

Thanks Dave I messaged you back.

Your right Mike those belly doublers are going to be a challenge. Thankfully the early model ones use a separate doubler for each side instead of a one piece doubler that wraps the whole belly and up the side of the fuselage so that will help. I do have those doublers off of the wrecked 180 but I have my doubts that the rivits will all line up, if nothing else atleast it will give me a templete to make a new one. Another challenge with this particular aircraft is back in the 60's it was owned by the Forestrey in Montana and they modified it with three camara ports two of which are in the baggage area and one under the pilots feet. Go figure. One of the ports is massive in the baggage area. It is tear drop shaped and roughly 18"-24" wide and about 24"-30" long. They rerouted the cables in the belly and you can pull the cover off of the belly and off of the baggage floor and it is open all the way through. The thing looks like you could mount a belly gun turret to it. I would rather not have to remove that whole conversion to do the float kit just because how much extra work that would be. Once I have some good drawings I'll be able to tell what I have to do.
Shawn

After looking at the page after page of the float kit in my parts book, I consider you a brave sole!

Last edited:
Another challenge with this particular aircraft is back in the 60's it was owned by the Forestrey in Montana and they modified it with three camara ports two of which are in the baggage area and one under the pilots feet. Go figure. One of the ports is massive in the baggage area. It is tear drop shaped and roughly 18"-24" wide and about 24"-30" long. They rerouted the cables in the belly and you can pull the cover off of the belly and off of the baggage floor and it is open all the way through. The thing looks like you could mount a belly gun turret to it. I would rather not have to remove that whole conversion to do the float kit just because how much extra work that would be. Once I have some good drawings I'll be able to tell what I have to do.
Shawn
If I were you, I would have a nice talk with your friendly FSDO inspector or DER before I drilled another rivet. With those big camera holes, I would have serious doubts that it could be approved on floats. At one time Cessna offered an extra large stretcher baggage door. You could not get the float kit with that door because the seaplane loads just were not compatible with the big hole.
Good luck. You have an enormous job in front of yourself.

Last edited:
:) I was thinking how handy that might be for some preditor control. LOL

If I have to I can replace that belly skin and the baggage floor to return it to stock configuration, and I do have that skin and a spare floor to do it with but I would rather not. The camera bay goes through the floor between the float attach bulkhead and the bulkhead at the rear door post. So it consists of a tear drop hole in the belly skin with a really beefy tear drop doubler that is a good 8"-10" bigger than the hole and extends beyond the bulkheads on each end. The floor has an equally beefy doubler on it as well as and 1/8" aluminum plate over that for the rear seat tracks to bolt too. Other than that the only change was another set of pulleys to route the cables around the hole. The bulkheads are not modified at all. Structurally I think it is stronger than stock. Ether way our FSDO is not known for common since or friendliness so I don't think I will be talking to them about it. About 10 years ago I would have agreed with you but sadly things have changed there.
Shawn

Why would he want to talk to a DAR? The way I read it, all they can do is issue certificates.

T.J., I meant DER.

ak2711c, I am not an engineer. However, I do know that when you are trying to combine two major alterations such as you are describing, that you definitely need some good and valid engineering input. The seaplane structural loads will have to be carried through all of those photography holes. If you choose not to do this, you could end up with a very expensive yard ornament. I'm not trying to discourage you. Just a heads up.

This could also then need a field approval to combine the two.

Last edited:
T.J., I meant DER.

ak2711c, I am not an engineer. However, I do know that when you are trying to combine two major alterations such as you are describing, that you definitely need some good and valid engineering input. The seaplane structural loads will have to be carried through all of those photography holes. If you choose not to do this, you could end up with a very expensive yard ornament. I'm not trying to discourage you. Just a heads up.

This could also then need a field approval to combine the two.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep that in mind.

If those "holes" could handle it landing as a tail dragger... I can't see them being any bigger deal landing as a float plane. TD.. tries to stretch the lower tailcone floor as you paste it on on all three..... and floats will try to compress everything behind the rear float attaches during an "arrival" !

Skin wrinkling just aft of the rear float fittings is common on Skywagon seaplanes. The need for adequate reinforcement is real. Floats are hard on the airframe. That's why lots of sellers note "never on floats" in aircraft descriptions.

Back