• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

COMMENTS OPENT UNTIL 14 SEPTEMBER Proposed 3rd Class Medical Exemption COMMENT NOW!

Gunny

WA
Hey Pilots,

The comment period for comments on the proposed 3rd Class Medical Exemption is still open until 14 September at midnight. If you have not done so already please comment now. The more pilots comment in favor of this the more likely its success and it is a common sense proposal. Here is the link to the comment site. http://www.regulations.gov/#!searchResults;rpp=25;po=0;s=FAA-2012-0350

It is FAA Docket No. 2012-0350 if you are looking it up manually. I am posting this in the public (as opposed to members only) forum so max dissemination will occur I hope.

Here are a couple sample letters that you can cut, paste and edit to streamline expressing your views or of course you can type your own. Thanks to Doc Randy and energytech for sharing their sample letters. Remember folks, commenting on things like this is like voting - if you don't (comment/vote) you give up your right to bitch about the outcome. Nuf said....

SAMPLE ONE

Re: Docket number FAA-2012-0350
YOUR STREET ADDRESS
YOUR TOWN, STATE 12345
Phone: 125-456-7890
Email: yourid@address.com

Please accept this as a letter of support for FAA-2012-0350.

I am writing to you as apilot with 4000 hours. I obtained my private pilot certificate in 1983 and have flown in various parts of the United States since then, all in general aviation. Aviation has been a very important aspect of my personal and professional life. While I fly for pleasure, I also use general aviation as a means of transportation enabling me to provide care for patients who live in rural areas of Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana and Wisconsin.

As a pilot, I have remained current with my medical certificate throughout my flying years, renewing my second class certificate for the vast majority of that time (yearly examinations). During those years I have had many times when I felt that my physical condition was not conducive to safe flight and have chosen to “ground” myself, or self-certify, if you will. As a result I have been able to safely and effectively operate aircraft since obtaining my certificates. In those instances when I felt unfit to fly I simply sought care with my local physician, and used what I felt to be good judgement in grounding myself until I felt I could safely resume my flying activities.

I am also aware of the fact that my views in support of this Docket may not be shared by some AMEs , many of whom devote a large part of their medical practice to performing aviation medical examinations. It is my feeling that those who require a first or second class medical certification will continue to do so. I also feel that many of those who hold a third class medical certificate will continue to obtain that certification so that they may legally fly at night, etc. The overall benefit to the aviation community will be far in excess to the loss that AME’s who might see in a reduction in their medical practice. The argument can be made that this will free up their time to attend to other patients who are in need of their services.

Continuing medical education, for physicians, has been very important in keeping us sharp and aware of new concepts and breakthroughs in the practice of medicine. Continuing aviation education achieves the same for pilots, and I heartily encourage the pilots I examine to participate…and they do!

With these thoughts in mind, I urge you to rule favorably and approve Docket FAA-2012-0350. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
YOUR NAME

SAMPLE LETTER TWO

Re: Docket number FAA-2012-0350
YOUR STREET ADDRESS
YOUR TOWN, STATE 12345
Phone: 123-456-7890
Email: yourid
@address.com

Please accept this as a letter of support for FAA-2012-0350.

Sirs:

I was recently made aware of the joint AOPA - EAA petition for an exemption to the third class medical for recreational pilots carrying one passenger in aircraft of 180 horsepower or less. If anything should be changed, the horsepower limit should be raised to 200 hp in the interest of incorporating a broader spectrum of aircraft. This is the first intelligent proposal I've seen that would transform the private aviation community during these serious economic times.

I first began flying as a student pilot in 1969 and hold a private pilot certificate. My father and two brothers all hold private pilot certificates so you could say we were a flying family. My experience in years past has been one of restricting my flying to periods when I felt healthy, though I always had a third class medical. Flue, severe cold or simply the feeling that I was coming down with something would cause me to limit my flying activity by self-grounding. Increasing awareness of medical self-certification is much more important and relative to safe flying. Passing a third class medical is only a one in two, or one in five year snapshot of an individuals health. Self certification as described in this docket lasts a lifetime and is applied prior to every flight.

Having accumulated thousands of hours in flying the Alaskan bush I have come to a point in my carreer (retired) where flying to travel for work is no longer a part of my life. To fly recreationally would be nice, but it is certainly not a necessity and I currently have my Cessna 180 up for sale. I believe the driver's lisence medical exemption with the proposed training should be put into effect immediately if for no other reasons than to improve safe flying and arrest the decline in general aviation flying activity.

I recently offered to pay for flying lessons for our son and daughter, 35 and 32 years old respectively. My intention is to provid to them the 'gift of flight', as I know it will better their life experience through an enhanced sense of organization and mechanical and technical knowledge. Both are all for doing this but the overall cost to maintain a private pilot certificate (repeated medicals included) is of concern to them even though I have offered my financial support in paying for their flight training. The drivers license medical exemption would be a great asset by improving their medical understanding on a personal level, thus flying safer, while reducing the expense to maintain a recreational involvement in aviation. And, we now have seven years of LSA experience that has proven this to be a non issue.

I recently looked into purchasing an LSA aircraft and tested a couple of models I thought would be suitable for us. These turned out to be too light, too underpowered and too expensive for our mission of recreational use. I found that they were more difficult to control in practically any wind, all were without adequate cabin heat and every one of them would be over-gross for two people, fuel and baggage to allow traveling distances between our towns and villages. Perhaps if I had more experience in flying ultra-light or LSA aircraft the transition from a heavier plane to such a light 1,320 gross weight limit would be easier. However, limiting recerational flying to such light gross weight and underpowered aircraft is, in my opinion, dangerous. An old equipment operator once told me "The bigger they are, the easier they are." I find this generally applies to aircraft also and my pilot friends driving 'heavy iron' agree.

In addition to the above noted safety benefits, much of the technology incorporated into LSA models (read engines, instruments, airframes) is imported from foreign sources and is economically damaging to our country. Sending money outside our borders does nothing to heal or improve our economic well-being. Shipping jobs offshore to China, as with the Cessna Skycatcher, is neither patriotic nor wise for our country. Austria is another recipient of the LSA fortune as the great majority of engines used in this classification are manufactured there. At some point we need to say enough to this nonsense.

In closing, many pilots I know would continue flying were this exemption approved. Aircraft meeting the limits outlined within the AOPA/EAA request would increase slightly in value and desirability. New pilots would enter the field of aviation and A&P mechanics and instructors would be put back to work. What could possibly be negative about this?

So, this is my testimony. My recommendation is that we must make our industry healthy again, safer and affordable. We may accomplish much of this by allowing FAA-2012-0350 to become a reality.

Respectfully,
YOUR NAME

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE COMMENT AND ALL WHO WILL COMMENT.

Thank you. That makes more sense.

I suggest shorter letters. I think it is quantity, not quality, that drives these things. Mine will be about four sentences long, and will mention how much more devastating a sudden health problem would be on the Interstate.

Bob and All - The comments you choose to make are entirely up to you. I agree - quantity will influence the decision although concerns about potential negative consequences must be address (but I think AOPA and EAA have that fairly well covered). A strong volume of "in favor comments" can only enhance those efforts. I posted the samples only because they were there before and those who desire can edit them a bit and come up with a satisfactory letter. I think the key points to make are that we are in favor of the exemption, it will likely reduce costs, increase GA interest, not negatively impact safety as well as free resources to serve the commercial end of aviation where it is much more necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment Bob.

The only problem I have with this is that EAA should have set the H.P. limit at 200 instead of 180.

ADMIN- Could you delete the letter "T" at the end of the word "OPENT" in my title? Apologies for my bad typing skills and thanks.

ndill - Thanks for the comment. Be sure to include that remark in you letter/message to the FAA.

ALL - This is a bump to the top for this post. Pushing for max exposure from here to 14 Sep and praying common sense ultimately prevails.

To be clear I am all for this and feel we should all take a couple of seconds to write and support it. Only way the folks in DC know we care is if we make collective unified noise.

However at OSH I went to several medical forums, specifically to learn about Special Issuance and what the EAA and AOPA were up to with this waver request. My conclusion........don't hold your breath waiting for the medical waiver EAA and AOPA are petitioning the FAA for.

First it is a real stretch of the waver process to include a whole group. Waver process is intended for individuals looking to get relief for a specific regulation that doesn't really fit them. Only way they could shoehorn this to fit is by saying anyone that is a EAA or AOPA member is seeking relief. A tad self serving and stretching the process to the maximum amount. Would not be surprised to see request bounced on that issue alone. Don't get me wrong it would be clever if they could sneak it by that way but it's not the sort of thing the folks in power go for.

In my opinion the single biggest problem is there is not a unified front on the flying side. AME folks are pushing back (they are doing God's work) coupled with the LightSport people who don't want the competition from an estimated 80,000 some airplanes that could be flown on a drivers license. Then the FAA doesn't like LightSport and is not likely to give up the power connected to those 80,000 airplanes and the pilots who fly them without a fight. Even if the waver did pass it is pretty much just for C172 and Warriors, no floats, not even sure if they would allow tailwheel. Big holes still remain in the proposed program, sounded like education component has not even been roughed out.

Odds are greater for what they are calling "Plan C" (proposed by the AME's) which is a way they can fast track Special Issuance Medicals. It is unfortunate that the AME supporters are bringing this "Plan C" idea forward now as it will steal attention from the waver request and give the FAA an additional reason to say no.

Hope I am wrong but I just don't see the waver happening.

So if you are on the edge thinking Light Sport or Waver you really need to think Light Sport or Special Issuance. They did make it clear that you can let a Special Issuance lapse along with your medical and then drop to Light Sport (for now???). This is also how they are handling the Light Sport Catch 22 for those that have had their medical denied and now want to fly Light Sport. Go through the process of getting the Special Issuance, obtain your medical, then let both lapse and you can fly Light Sport.

at least that was how I saw it

I "commented" in the middle of the night two nights ago. Woke up and couldn't sleep...Something I needed to do.. What was it. Oh yeah! Get up - go to government regulations website - comment - sleep soundly!! This thread should be bumped daily till the comment period is over in three days!

Even though it will not apply to me, I submitted a comment in favor of the proposal for all those to whom it will apply.

Deadline is midnight tonite. Thanks to all who commented. As my good buddy Mike Butterfield likes to say,..."Good Luck to us all"!!

Back