• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

amphib trip from Central Oregon to Santa Catalina Is in California 12-AUG, need info

8GCBC

Oahu
I am planning an amphib trip from Central Oregon to Santa Catalina Is (California) 12-AUG. Need local, first hand, information

Has anybody spent the night here:

Lake Oroville, CA
Don Pedro Lake, CA
Clear Lake, CA
Lake Berryessa, CA
Trinity Lake, CA (KOA campground)
San Luis Res., CA

Thank you for your input!

(Posting SPA also)

I've never spent the night at those places. Last time I drove past San Luis Res, it was pretty low. I'm not sure about Don Pedro. Haven't flown over it in a while.

I've been told that you can land in Millerton Lake on weekdays which is a stone's throw from Fresno. I think that is a state park so I would call in advance and get details about it. There is not a float plane dock there so you would have to beach it. I don't think there is a float plane dock at San Luis either.

Hi Kevin:

Thank you for info..

Contacted the Park Service(s) regarding seaplane operations and reading up on camping, invasive species, weather, and mooring/beaching areas. The Park Service seems to be OK with a seaplane on those lakes (some Rangers have never seen them on the lakes, however).

The reservoirs are outflowing, I have been watching the graphs on the internet. Will hopefully have some information to share when I get there.

Check out Clearlake info via the seaplane fly-in group that holds an event in September. I think they have a lakefront motel that is Seaplane friendly. http://www.clearlakesplashin.com/ I don't have waterwings so I don't have first hand experience beyond it is good fun even from the dry airport access.

Re San Luis. Be advised that this lake is an in transit storage facility for the Cal aqueduct system and can vary in level quite a bit, even over night. Also can be quite windy there. I've never seen a sea plane there, and have flown over many times being based at Reid Hillview in SJ.
Frazier Lake airport near Hollister does have a water strip and I see folks using it from time to time. It looks tight (narrow) to me, but I know nothing about water ops. No fuel, but camping should be great. Sounds like a great trip, have fun.

I have flown over San Luis Reservior many times and it was just windy to touchdown! I will check out Fraiser Lake. Thank you.

Since you are posting on the Supercub forum I assume you are taking the trip in a Super Cub with floats. If so, please note that Catalina can be quite a handful for a float plane with some pretty big swells. Be prepared to put your wheels down and land at the hilltop airport.

Since you are posting on the Supercub forum I assume you are taking the trip in a Super Cub with floats. If so, please note that Catalina can be quite a handful for a float plane with some pretty big swells. Be prepared to put your wheels down and land at the hilltop airport.

Hi Dave:

Flying an 8GCBC on 2100A. Lived on Catalina and attended Catalina Is. School in Toyo Bay. Very familiar with Catalina Wx, have rowed, sailed, flown the channel many times. Have kayaked around the Island 5 times. I usually land at the Airport on wheels because of swell and chop and do not recommend water operations unless conditions are perfect!

Thank you for the post, you have a very valid point about ocean there.

Last edited:
I forgot about Frazier Lake. It is a haven for antiques. If you can get there on a Saturday, lots of guys open their doors to show some way cool antiques...much like Santa Paula does. Fuel and a good diner is just down the road in Hollister!

Looks interesting...Like the Maule Factory water strip in GA
FAP.jpg

Attachments

• FAP.jpg
    FAP.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 124
Back