• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Liferaft when solo?

Amorl

Hi,

I haven't even had my first flying lesson yet, but I expect to get a cub of some sort within the next couple of years. It probably won't be on floats, as that is more trouble than it's worth here in Denmark (we're not allowed to land on any lake whatsoever).

Anyway, it got me thinking of going across water and safety, liferafts and the like.

Since a full-fledged liferaft is a tad on the heavy side (not to mention, bulky!), what do you guys use, if anything?

I have found a "Jonbuoy MOB Recovery Module", and although not a liferaft per se, I figure it's the closest to one for one person.

http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/life-buoys-and-life-saving/p4233s21/jonbuoy-mob-recovery-module.htm

Would something like that be worth considering for when going over water (I need to go over water to go basically anywhere)?

I also have some questions about fire, but I'll do that in another subforum :)

Speaking for myself, a liferaft for trans-ocean certainly but not continental North America. I live by the ocean where 50 miles over water is no big deal with a flight plan, good radio, transponder, life jackets, SPOT messenger or similar, cellphone etcetera. (The engine doesn't know it's over water.)

Denmark will probably have COLD water so getting out of the water will be important as hypothermia will be an issue. Certainly you will want a manually inflatable life jacket, auto inflation is not good and may trap you in the wreckage, and some form of lift raft would be a good idea if over water for any period of time. Things can go to pot in a hurry. Good luck in your quest.

Bill

You need a liferaft in those waters (period):

* To be seen
* Hypothermia

Talk to your local OCEAN SAR administrators. Get some statistics on what they find and don't find. Get fimiliar with the people that will look for you.

Who here has carried and deployed a life raft after ditching a Cub type airplane? Anyone? Where was the raft stowed? How do you access it and deploy it in a toppled, sinking plane? If I was concerned with crossing large bodies of cold water and thought I needed such protection I'd wear a survival suit.

I flew SAR's for many years and yes C150s, C172s, RV-8, Seminoles, Aztecs (but no cubs between Guam and PHNL) all have ditched and some actually made it out with a raft.

But, I have to believe that a Survial Suit would work better (along with a small liferaft) in cold water (I have not tested). So..., ask your local CG station to give you an actual egress test from a simulate aircraft upset in a cold pool! There could be trapped air (flotation) or mobility issues that should be address before wearing on a flight above hostile cold seas. I have done hours of egress and crash training (etc) at Pensacola and Barbers Point NAS. It is pretty serious and should be practiced if possible. When was the last time you shot a flare from the water in a 25 knot wind? I will always carry a small Raft, EPIRP, Flares as backup over long distances. I personally would do better with a small liferaft. Your milage may vary.

Ocean can hide things easily:

About 10 years ago I was seaching for a 40 foot motor yacht the seas were 30-35 feet and wind about 35-45 knots. We could not even see a 40 foot motor yacht, it was covered in white spray and seas! Could not see it at all. The Captain could see the aircraft. So we took vectors for about 2 hours on channel 16. Later we could bearly see it! But, would lose it here and there. Finally the yacht made it (!) into the lee of an island and anchored. The Captain thought he lost steerage (seas were just to big in reality).

Back