• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Snow skis

Hi Thom. Where are you from? Welcome.

You've asked a broad question. Could you be more specific? Do you have some experience you could relate? ...or are you researching for a planned purchase of skis?

A new discussion is fine, but if you want information gleaned at your leisure, try the search function here. There is much prior discussion available at your fingertips.

Again, welcome to SuperCub.org

Hyd. skis are heavier, more expensive, but more efficient on (in) soft snow.
Wheel penetration skis are cheaper/lighter, but have a big drag penalty (wheel drag in snow).
Kinda depends on your mission/budget. :)

What do yall think of F. Atlee Dodge board skis?

Relatively tall pedestals, which is good, but could give more lever arm to stress landing gear.
The wider boards are great, the narrower boards don't seem to float as good as some other skis.
The plywood boards aren't lightweight, but they are coming up with a composite board that is incredibly light......All The Credit For That Goes To Randy Apling From Plaschem. It is available to experimentals now. There is a lead time if you want a set.

Dave,
Thank you. I have not flown on skis before. I purchased a used set from Jeff Walker at Seaplanes North. He is putting them on my Husky now. I will be flying with Steve Williams to learn skiplane operations. I have Cubcrafters 3" Extended HD gear and AOSS on my Husky. Jeff told me these are the wider boards too. I have the Baby Bushwheel tailwheel, Steve recommended not using a tail ski. Jeff thinks I should have one. But like Jeff said, Steve is an expert and will be teaching you ski operations, so go with his recommendation. I am curious of your opinion, just to add to what I have already received, Pro's and Con's of adding a tail ski. Thanks,

Relatively tall pedestals, which is good, but could give more lever arm to stress landing gear.
The wider boards are great, the narrower boards don't seem to float as good as some other skis.
The plywood boards aren't lightweight, but they are coming up with a composite board that is incredibly light......All The Credit For That Goes To Randy Apling From Plaschem. It is available to experimentals now. There is a lead time if you want a set.
Where do you find Atlee Dodge skis?? I saw a pair about 10 years ago, but never see them come up for sale anywhere...
JD

Call them to find a pair...or keep an eye on Craigslist.

As far as tailski I have an opinion........any heavy tail, light a/c (Husky, -14, -12, C-180/185, etc.) can benefit greatly by the floatation provided by a tailski.

Most guys who don't want a tailski state that they can lift their tail with power or drop the tail in the snow and stick it there as a brake.....which can be true in a decent -18 flown light on snow that isn't very deep or fluffy-light.....but a guy will pay for it with a longer takeoff run (significantly longer) when he's heavy or aft-loaded, and can't use power to lift the tail, or also in deep fluffy snow ..........that tailwheel?? .....it's a brake, right?

Another significant benefit of a tailski on any of these a/c..........the birds can turn better, with more precision, using less throttle than an un-tail-ski'ed a/c. This comes into important play when maneuvering on a narrow ridge-top. It's so nice to have a sweet-turning a/c that doesn't takes lots of throttle/rudder/elevator to turn around when it's a long ways down both sides of your "perch".

These are my opinions.......and yeah, I've been on a narrow ridgeline

Dave,
Thank you. I have not flown on skis before. I purchased a used set from Jeff Walker at Seaplanes North. He is putting them on my Husky now. I will be flying with Steve Williams to learn skiplane operations. I have Cubcrafters 3" Extended HD gear and AOSS on my Husky. Jeff told me these are the wider boards too. I have the Baby Bushwheel tailwheel, Steve recommended not using a tail ski. Jeff thinks I should have one. But like Jeff said, Steve is an expert and will be teaching you ski operations, so go with his recommendation. I am curious of your opinion, just to add to what I have already received, Pro's and Con's of adding a tail ski. Thanks,

not very familiar with husky, but make sure any if any belly tail pans are mounted strong so they can't get front lip pealed down and act like a hug snow scoop and fill aft fuselage with snow when in deep snow...esp without tail ski....

I think NimpoCub pretty much covered the question of penetration vs hydraulic skies.

Regarding Dodge skis: they're "Ford Tuff". I had a set of old ones that were in really good shape and I liked them. I changed to 1.5" axles, and they were fixed for 1.25" axles, so ended up buying a set of Landes 2500's. They were narrower and a bit shorter than the Landes skis. Atlee Dodge told me they were early ones, but that wider bottoms could be put on. Apparently you could really get your ears boxed if you mentioned "plywood" to him when talking about the skis. :smile: They have a tall pedestal, so helps if you have standard length gear and a Borer prop. It's been a long time, but I recall they weighed close to what the Landes weighed. Dodge-Aero-Federal-Landes,...they're all good.

Jim W.

With all of this great advice I have ordered a tail ski today. So, my 200 HP Husky with Cubcrafters 3" extended gear, AOSS suspension will ride on Atlee Dodge 2500's and a Burl's tail ski. Sounds like I should be fixed pretty well. Thanks guys.

Just curious what basis you're using to install those skis on that aircraft,since I don't think there are any STCs. Are FSDOs still doing field approvals on ski installations?

I think Dave did an excellent job discussing tailski vs no tailski. The Husky REALLY benefits from a tail ski in my experience. As do many Cubs. To some degree, conditions dictate how beneficial a tail ski is, but at least in my experience, a tail ski is generally much more often beneficial than it is a liability.

So, are you actually in Texas, as shown in your avatar, or are you going to be ski flying somewhere sorta north of there?

MTV

Plus, having a tail ski makes deadstick hill takeoffs possible, like a Flexi-Flyer with wings! We have a few sites here where you can make multiple takeoffs and touchdowns (glance downs really, just drag the skis a bit and keep going, all deadstick, starting high and ending low (of course) great fun with skis!

MTV,
Jeff Walker at Seaplanes North is getting all of the paperwork done, I left that up to him. My Husky lives at 4AK6, I fly on the airlines to Anchorage, rent a car to get to Wolf Lake, and then go play. I've been doing that for a couple of years now. It works out great. I rented space in a large private hangar at the West end of the airport. The plane is inside and all of my gear is safely stored too so that I don't have to haul much back and forth.
Thanks,
Gary

Thom,
I have Park Rapids skis. :) Need new bottoms soon.
Spend lot's time @ Granddad's place on Portage Lake when i was a pup.

Trickair skis are very good in snow imo as good as any hyd skis out there ( i had flilite 3000 and stait 2000 before ) and so much lighter and faster,i have a set on my PA18A-150 and i have a buddy with strait skis and we did some drag take off and we could not determine a winner ( same engine same propeller ) the only thing that is not good is the ground clearance probalbily why they are good in any snow and i tried them in any kind of snow i could put my plane in ( overflow included ) and still very happy with them ( on the plane for 3 years now ) and one more thing you dont have to pump back and forth when you go from pavement to snow vise versa.

How about it spring compacted wet snow? Was on a lake one time with a touch of wheel down and could not get out due to the heavy compressed snow. Lifted the wheel and was fine... that is the big issue with most fixed penetration ski.

No issu at all with wet compacted snow, flew late spring , a buddy of mine was picking on me with its PA 12 on strait skis and he was pointing me were he would take off and lined up in the same spot and gave him a take off to remember 8),kind of funny now no more picking he his wishing Trickair had a STC for a PA 12 ,maybe next winter they told me.

I'm on the verge of changing over my tailwheel to a chainless free castoring system. This would be on an experimental aircraft, tailwheel by Matco. A third party has come out with a retro kit that does away with the detent/breakaway device, along with the steering chains, with a set up that features an adjustable friction setting. Really pretty simple, a threaded a vertical axle in effect with a big nyloc nut that you play with, sandwiched in between some delrin washers, until you get the swivel set up (adjusting for your individual tail weight) just right so no shimmy but very smooth and easy breakout for steering.
I fly on Datum wheel skis with a tail ski during the winter months, and have been thinking the last few days on how it would be on the skis to have no direct tail wheel steering.....sure I can usually lift the tail and use the rudder to get turned but I'm not sure that'd be the same? The good thing is all the parts on the tailwheel change out are easily retroed back, and I may just go back to direct chain steering when I put the tail ski on. Any thoughts in general on going chainless on the tailwheel, tail ski installed or not?

I'm on the verge of changing over my tailwheel to a chainless free castoring system. This would be on an experimental aircraft, tailwheel by Matco. A third party has come out with a retro kit that does away with the detent/breakaway device, along with the steering chains, with a set up that features an adjustable friction setting. Really pretty simple, a threaded a vertical axle in effect with a big nyloc nut that you play with, sandwiched in between some delrin washers, until you get the swivel set up (adjusting for your individual tail weight) just right so no shimmy but very smooth and easy breakout for steering.
I fly on Datum wheel skis with a tail ski during the winter months, and have been thinking the last few days on how it would be on the skis to have no direct tail wheel steering.....sure I can usually lift the tail and use the rudder to get turned but I'm not sure that'd be the same? The good thing is all the parts on the tailwheel change out are easily retroed back, and I may just go back to direct chain steering when I put the tail ski on. Any thoughts in general on going chainless on the tailwheel, tail ski installed or not?
I have a Baby Bushwheel with the guts removed on my Experimental so that it free castering. I feel it is the best way to go on rough stuff when taxiing. I don't have a shimmy problem because I wheel land but if the tail comes down early on smooth or hard ground I notice a little shimmy. When on skis I use a 3200 tailwheel with Burl's tail ski and I do use chains then for better steering on the ground. And on my home airport I usually land on the paved runway when I'm on skis.

Research the actual pedistal height, most all certified skiis have a pretty low height, in deep snow that becomes a big issue. The Dodge
Skiis always had a better (higher) height than any of the other certfied skiis, with that said a cub with 6" extended gear works great with a standard 9" pedistal, but on standard gear your pretty darn flat on AoA! Good luck with your choice

Back