• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Owyhee River Airstrips Campaign to ReOpen!!

58skylane

SW Idaho
Hello Back Country Pilots!

Have you personally flown in and out of any of the airstrips along the Owyhee River in Idaho and Oregon anytime before they were closed? If so, Bill Miller from the Idaho Aviation Association would like to hear from you.

Bill would like to know the following information if your interested in helping to reopen some of the airstrips that were closed and even possibly build new airstrips near the "Scenic River" boundary.
1. Pilot name and home base of your aircraft
2. Name of the airstrip you visited. If you do not know the name, Lat & Lon would be helpful
3. When and how often did you visit the airstrip
4. Any comments and info to offer?
5. If the airstrips were reopened and or new airstrips were built, would you make use of them? If so, how often?

You can forward the above information directly to Bill Miller at millerwilliamc@msn.com

Or, you can PM me and I'll forward you information to Bill. Any comments on this thread will be great, too. I plan to forward a link to this thread to Bill, too.

It would be great to hear from as many pilots as possible Bill has been working very close with the Vale District BLM office and sounds like the talks are moving forward. But very slowly. It may pick up steam if we all get involved Thank you for your help!! Pat

I did not own my plane when they were open therefore didn't get to enjoy them, but would love to see them reopened for everyone to enjoy.

I was fortunate to learn to fly my SuperCub in the spectacular Owyhee River area. While we landed on a number of open cub strips, my instructor pointed out several that he used to fly into that are now closed. There was one area that we weren't even allowed to fly over! What a loss! I live in western Oregon and would probably visit these strips once a year. Let's make this happen!

Linda Fore
N4378Z

This is the Pinnacle airstrip, 2001. The Owyhee River is between the Cub and the cliffs. Unfortunately, I don't have a bigger scan of this slide.

Cub pinnacle.jpg

Attachments

• Cub pinnacle.jpg
    Cub pinnacle.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 129
Back