• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Landing lights

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
Has anyone any advice on aiming landing lights. I have 4 x 100 watt GE Quartz lenses to install in the leading edge, (2 per wing) as supplied by Back Country/Turbine/Smith. Maybe 1 for taxi 3 for landing???? Parallel to the wing or ??????

Preference mostly. And adjust what you have till it works for you.

In general, however, you might try this:

The lights with a waffled glass are spread beam for taxi. The clear lenses are spot beam landing lights.

Mount the spread taxi light full down and a bit towards the nose and see if it lights up right in front. Take the spots and with tail down aim them till the beam is just visible on the ground as far out as possible. If you three point at night, you'll still have light on the surface, and if you wheel land the beams will be closer, but still on the surface. If you always wheel land, you may want to adjust more tilt up.

Setting your lights this way will compensate for gear length and tire/tailwheel size.

And to answer original question....

I always find myself more dependent on good lighting for taxi than for landing. Hopefully your primary instructor taught you no landing light technique back when. The runway edge lights provide a lot of perspective for flare and directional guidance. It's the taxiing that can be difficult.

IMHO.....I'd skip them (too much added weight for the amount of usage) and put one HID light mounted to the cabane V if you plan to do some night flying. With a waterproof connector you can remove it when it's not needed.

Take care,

Crash

Back