• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

VGs again

Tim

FRIEND
Petersburgh, NY
I've had VGs on my wings for 3 or 4 years and like them. A couple months ago, I let a line boy put fuel in the plane and he knocked one off. I finally got around to order some replacements. When I ordered them they asked me if I had them under the horizontal tail surface, I didn't. He talked me into putting them on, it made a difference. When slow it keeps the tail up longer when landing, very noticeable. These are experimental lexan ones, spaced an inch and a half apart near the elevator hinges. I like it.

Tim

I think the VGs under the tail are the most important part of the Micro Air kit. It's where I noticed the biggest difference. Mr. Piper designed a great wing.

V.G.'s on the Bottom

Hi Tim. Did the guy that talked you into putting them under the horizontal tell you that they would help hold the tail up at low speeds? Jerry B.

Hi Jerry
I think I remember he said they would help when slow. I did notice a difference, or is it wishful thinking or the power of suggestion :eek:

Tim

V.G.'s

Hi Tim. I hope he said they would help hold the tail down. When you have the elevator in the down position (down as compared to the horizontal) the camber is in the direction of up as is the lift. Which is why you can carry the tail by adding some power and using forward stick. You would have to have them mounted on the top to provide benefit to that airfoil.
The idea of having them on the bottom is to provide additional down force to allow higher AOA and shorter landing. Using power of course. In a glide to landing they provide little assistance. Jerry B.

Jerry, I'll have to make more landings to know for sure if they do anything
I only made two landings with them on and I forgot they were on the first landing, it was blowing about 20

It got knocked off on the way back from the OK flyin, I don't remember where.

Jerry:

I'm certain my tail "flies" much earlier in the takeoff roll than before. The elevator has quite a bit more authority. Would that be due to energizing the airflow over (well, actually, under) the elevator? I've read where some people say that the VGs underneath accomplish something of the same function as gap seals.

Andrew

Two questions.. How much are they? And, what is the consensus, do they change the "feel" like elevator gap seals do?? Oh, and I guess a third question, are they available for Boundary Layer VGs too?

The VGs I have are for experimental use, $100 for I think 100. Glue and different patterns for different applications come with the kit.
Harrison Designs is the company.

Tim

The most noticeable thing Ive done to the tale of my cub was gap seal tap, huge difference in authority at all speeds.

DW

DW what did you use for gap seal tape?I have VGs under the horizontal.I run out of nose up trim and wondering if sealing the gap will help.

Bill

Bill go to your local travel trailer dealer and get 3" wide awning repair tape and put it on the top of the elev./horz. gap. I'm going to try it on the rudder next.

Dennis

Back