• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

TSA's Role in General Aviaton Security

aktango58

FRIEND
18AA
Inspector General of the Department of Homeland Security report came out.

I have a press release from the Alaska Delegation

From the report: "We determined that general aviation presents only limited and mostly hypothetical threats to security."

also: "The current status of GA operations does not present a serious homeland security vulnerability requiring TSA to increase regulatory oversight of the industry."

Will they listen to themselves?

George there you go getting me fired up.:D I just today spend over an hour in Doc's office here doing the "training" so I can have my GA ramp badge. 36 minutes of a video showing where the hold short lines are on a taxiway and how to call "local law enforcement" if you have a fuel spill. You just can't make this stuff up....we sure are a lot safer now, though. :crazyeyes:

gb

I had a call yesterday from a TSA representative who wanted to make an appointment to visit. She seemed to be only interested in whether or not there was a flight school here. When I convinced her that there was not, and that there were no instructors, she lost interest. She will not be visiting. This call comes once a year with the same inquiries and the same result. Last year they no showed their appointment, when they called to reschedule I told them I was not available. They stayed away. The first year three people showed up. They seemed to be young bureaucracy employees in training. They didn't seem to be very knowledgeable about aviation, appeared to have been trained with some talking points and told to go harass. They didn't get very far from their car.

At my airport TSA as mandated a security change that affected qualifying for access to our hangars.Back ground checks were completed for anybody who owned or rented hangars. We were required to attend a mini security class which consisted of watching a video on various subjects relating to aiport movement , signage and so on. Then more computor driven educational tools with testing along the way. Then we got our new TSA security cards for our access drive gate. We are required to wear our badges around our next neck when ever on airport property. Ya right. Mind you this is basically the same group of people that have had access to the airport for the last 25 years. What ever. I hope there is a decline in security with regard to our community International airport. The reality is the whole process was a little inconvenient but wasn't that bad and eliminated cards and people that had no real business any at our condo hangars.

I agree Fortysix12, no real big deal. I've had 3 background checks in as many months. All Dept. Homeland Security. Two of them on the same day, both full on FBI checks with fingerprints. All were fairly painless. I do however believe that apathy for this process and our government officials is the beginning of the end.

gb

Justin,

I will just let them through me off the other airports.

I submitted a request to the Southeast Chief of Leasing, Statewide Airports person and got nowhere... :(

I have been told on by someone! :bad-words: :crazyeyes:

Maybe if I moved my snowmachines out of her parking spot and the three tons of hydroseed mulch from her spot in the garage I might get approved :lol:

George

Back