• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

skil cutter??

mike mcs repair

chugiak AK
any one try one of these yet?? saw one on the checkout counter at AIH today....

looks cool just curious if works & if its worth the $55 AIH wants for it???

or is it another cool looking thing that just looks useful to add to the collection useless "seemed like a good idea"tm things in my shop!....
thanks

http://www.skiltools.com/en/AllTools/Category/Product/default.html?pid=2352-01&cid=36

r02169v15.jpg

Lithium Ion Power Cutter - Model #2352-01

* Lithium-Ion Power Battery holds charge up to 18 months
* Lightweight - Weighs less than 1 lb.!
* Auto Sharp Blade Design for clean results
* Battery Fuel Gauge
* Cuts through hundreds of materials* including: Carpet, Plastic Packaging, Fabric & Leather, Paper & Cardboard, Vinyl Flooring, Wallpaper & more
* *up to 1/4" thick
* Powered by an ENERGY STAR qualified battery charger (for a better environment)

Hmmm, Haven't seen one but it looks like it may work good on fabric.

Re: skill cutter??

With several knife/razor cutters, several sizes of tin snips, av-snips in the arsenal, I think you're right...

mike mcs repair said:
another cool looking thing that just looks useful

Mind you, if your arms are broke & can only use your teeth, I think this would be a heckuva GoodThing (if you don't get your lip in it).

Steve Pierce said:
Mike, I have thought about it too. Too bad it doesn't have a pinking blade.

ya... mount the Florian pinker parts to it :)

well I might have to be the Guinea pig then... just figured with all the eyeballs here someone would have tried it.....

Ever since I saw the Phlatprinter on the RC groups website I have wanted to build one and modify it enough to cut aluminum sheet. Have yet to do so, but I am still tempted. Here is the website www.phlatboyz.com

It is a CNC cutter that uses a router motor. They use it mainly for cutting out foam sheet to make RC airplanes out of.

Brian.

Steve's Aircraft (Brian) said:
Ever since I saw the Phlatprinter on the RC groups website I have wanted to build one and modify it enough to cut aluminum sheet. Have yet to do so, but I am still tempted. Here is the website www.phlatboyz.com

It is a CNC cutter that uses a router motor. They use it mainly for cutting out foam sheet to make RC airplanes out of.

Brian.

ya those are cool, but i am sure alum is out with that too..

oki I bought a cutter.. I was wrong $60 at AIH here.... only $45 with free ship from amazon on skills site though..

will let you know if its worth it....

will let the girl friend try it on some scrap moose hide and fur....

seems to do ok on ceconite, kydex, poster board, vinyl interior...so far zipping through everything.....

kydex? now I'm impressed.

I've thought about this setup with Franken-FlorianPinker attachment since I first saw this.

Actually, I had thought about a Florian Pinker mated to a Makita angle drill many years ago. Someone oughtta make this happen :D

Dave Calkins said:
kydex? now I'm impressed.

I've thought about this setup with Franken-FlorianPinker attachment since I first saw this.

now ya made me go grab the florain pinkers and hold it up next to it.... looks some how doable... but my pair of florains are in pretty bad shape....dont turn well and have chunks out of the bottom roller.... are parts still available for them?

hmm well instead of tearing apart the florain pinkers for parts...

think I will try these if they measure close enough... Olaf pinker blades

I might have a trip to Joanns fabric in the morning see if they have the blades....though only stainless so not sure how hard/hold sharp edge they would be....

figure this blade on shaft and just a ball bearing on bottom mounted on a plate....

400053695231_1.jpg

the parts break down on the skill
http://mdm.boschwebservices.com/MDMCache/t10/0000000/r00979v-1.pdf

(skil if you are reading this I did not disassemble my 2 day old tool yet.... really, I would not do that....so you are still cool with that warranty right? ) :eek:

LMAO!! You sound like me....buy a new tool an immediately try to modify it to work better.
Looks like your idea would work. Just need to cut a slot in the new blade from what I can see. Hopefully it is the same diameter.
Good Luck!!

umm ya, hello... Skil tools??? about that autosharp warranty.....

this is a totally doable project :D :D if I can find the pinker disc when I run to anch tonight....

ok.....10 good disassembly & gut pics http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.skup/Information#

got rid of the safety.. next batch of pics might have shorter fingers....

so now I know what to take apart to change that bottom plate to a bearing...

I'd recommend not shorting out that Lion battery......

DCAM0010.JPG

Ok, found the pinking cutter blade at Michaels crafts......

OLFA Brand P/N PIB45-1 looks just a touch bigger(45mm) than original blade... but should not matter too much, as we are making a new bottom plate for mounting bearing to....

not sure if upper silver plastic blade guard will stay, but looks like it can, might have to space it out a hair..... maybe open the inside of it slightly..... but looks good...

I guess I will make some flavor of adaptor/washer to mount blade onto shaft and space out a touch..... tomorrow when I get to shop.....

pictures in a half hour added to http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.skup/Information#

for those that haven't seen one, this is kinda the cutter bearing setup that is the goal...
09-01400.jpg

that we want to add to this
r02169v15.jpg

to be able to cut tapes with........ now whether it will be useful when done is another matter....

mike mcs repair said:
now whether it will be useful when done is another matter....

Mike, I think you'll need to install at least a 3 speed transmission so you can slow it down for cutting curves, patching, etc. :)

Shouldn't you be fixing an airplane or something?

NimpoCub said:
mike mcs repair said:
now whether it will be useful when done is another matter....

Mike, I think you'll need to install at least a 3 speed transmission so you can slow it down for cutting curves, patching, etc. :)

Shouldn't you be fixing an airplane or something?

we will figure out the useful later once it is working ....or not...

but i think it will be done today if i find a suitable bearing.....

trying to keep it simple so anyone can convert one and not need a lathe and such to do it.......

ya ya..... been working on the plane too..... seems half my time is spent making tools and jigs & fixing equipment, cleaning, if I am lucky, other half on the actual paying job I making the stuff for.. boy someone got there project done and.... :D

NimpoCub said:

eeeek you are right!!

dam that cuts fast with the pinker blade and bearing on it.... hmmm might have to figure out how to slow it down, before bothering making a prettier bearing mount...

still have all my fingers though....

DCAM0032.JPG

Back