• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

floats

pilotski

FRIEND
canada
good morning
can anyone out there tell me if pk floats are good or comparable to edo thank you

pilotski

hi clay
no i never read that but there a pretty good deal on a set of pk floats up here and i was wondering how pk's work

thanks

A friend of mine has a pair that PZINK used to own on a 150 SC, I think they are 1800 PKs, they kick a$$ over EDO 2000, standard prop and it's off the water in 200' or so. PM, PZINK about performance.

Glenn

I have a set of PK 1800s on my cub , cant tell you about differences in performance to the edo 2000s but the only complaint I have with the PKs is the hatch covers , mine are square flaps and they tend to dent if stepped on and will leak easily , the edos are round and seal better

The big question is...WHICH PK floats are you talking about?

There are PeeKay Devore floats, there are PeeKay, and there are PK, but the most important factor is the MODEL number. Without that, you can't say much about the floats, good or bad.

Let us know what model you're talking about.

MTV

MTV, it's talk like that, that got Soupy Sales thrown off TV years ago. Anybody remember that. He said on the air, how come when I show you an F, you see K.

Glenn

Heh, heh.... 'A', 'B', or 'C' model? Big difference, as I'm sure MTV will attest to....

PK is a good company. Ive not bought from them, but they are only 40 or so miles away. Pretty sure they are supporting parts for all models. They have spent a lot of money in the local economy, and employ several people. Manager Keith Strange is one of the best guys ever in GA.

Jim

I have heard that they are great rough water floats... easy to patch because they are flat.

Performance???? light they seem to do good.

Most guys prefer the Edo or Aerocet performance.

PK Floats

Pilotski:

If you want the shortest takeoff the EDOs or their plastic version the Aerocet 3500s are the deal. The later model PKs are a great rough water float and well made but are a bit sticky on flat water. The PKs are a little
disappointing on a 206, but fine on 185's. I would prefer them on a 185 if working a lot of big water or if I wanted to save a few bucks. If you are working short stuff stick with EDOs.

Dan

Definitely find out which SPECIFIC model of 3500 you're dealing with. As Randy says, there are HUGE differences in performance.

ALL the 3500's (and in fact, most all PK floats) are built like bridge beams, solid. Their amphib gear is about the stoutest and most trouble free gear systems in any amphibious floats.

But the early floats, A's and B's were really dogs in the water. They are great rough water floats, which is good, cause you may have to go well offshore to get waves big enough to get airborne. These are the floats that really gave PK (actually PeeKay Devore) a bad reputation, which is too bad, cause the later floats are really pretty darn good floats.

The later C's and D's are really good floats. I'd put them up against the EDO 3430's (and did, actually) most days.

Find out which models they are. If they're the later ones, in good shape and not too expensive, they'd be a good float.

MTV

hi again
i got more info on the floats there pk 3500 model c with c-184 gear
my friend wants to use them on his helio courier his stc says pk b-3500
thanks

The C and D floats were good floats. I have no idea what was approved on the Helio. I'd contact Alton Bouchard at PK for an update on that.

MTV

PK floats

I was going to suggest that you also post on the Seaplane Pilots Assoc. website, if you haven't already done that. As others of have mentioned PKs have a reputation for good rough water performance, the EDOs, better (quicker) takeoffs mainly because the PKs have a deeper hull and the EDOs are flatter. But as MTV points out, model differences and the aircraft carrying them also important. And you can't beat this forum for getting straight answers. Good or bad, but never indifferent.

Rob,

For several years and a few thousand hours, I worked a good strong 185 on PK 3500 D (I can never recall if the C's or D's are the straight floats, but these were the late model straight floats) from the Fairbanks International Float pond. Many of those launches were at MGTOW 3350, often on hot days.

The pond in FAI is narrow, so it's easy to "calibrate" where you should get airborne, by noting which airplane on the bank you launch next to.

That airplane and those floats went away, and I started operating a good strong 185 on EDO 3430's. I was delighted when they handed me the keys to that plane, cause I always thought precisely what you posted.

Reality sank in, when I realized (after a bit of getting used to the plane and floats) that I was breaking water almost exactly where I had with the PK equipped airplane, with the same loads/wind conditions, etc.

That was a wake up call for me, and I've since talked to others who've worked both extensively and they say pretty much the same thing.

This is NOT true of the early PeeKay floats, the A's and B's, and THEY are where this reputation came from. Those floats were really doggy. THey'd definitely test your skill at getting a seaplane airborne.

MTV

PK floats

Thanks for sharing your experiences Mike. Sure beats the hangar talk that influences many opinions. And most private owners don't have an opportunity to compare different float designs and models on particular aircraft, in a variety of operating conditions, unless they buy and sell frequently or are unusually careful shoppers.

good morning from manitoba
thank everyone for you reply's and info i did call pk and there is a stc for the pk-3500 C for the helio
i have a homebuilt pa-11 on home built northair floats plans from wag-aero

pilotski

Pilotski,

If you're calling PK, talk to Alton Bouchard, the President. He'll give you a straight scoop on all those older PeeKay designs. He flew those floats for a lot of years before becoming involved in it, and they've never produced the early 3500 floats since he got the company, so he doesn't have a dog in that fight.

Course, he'll probably try to sell you a set of their new 3050 floats.... :wink: Alton is a straight shooter, give him a call.

MTV

Back