• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Special Issuance Authorization Letters - New FAA Policy

Bill G.

FOUNDER
Kansas City, MO
To my pilot friends:

You are not going to believe this. At first I didn't believe it, but then I called the FAA Regional Flight Surgeon's office and it was confirmed. Here is the story:

I logged on the the AMCS website to enter a pilot's recent medical exam via the Internet to the FAA. Here is the notification I was met with:

Attention all Aviation Medical Examiners
Please remind your airmen they must carry their Authorization Letter at all times while exercising their pilot's license privileges. The Authorization Letter must be in the possession of the airman or be readily available in the aircraft. Airmen must present this Authorization to you at the time of each FAA medical application.

Here is a link to the web page if you want to see it yourself:

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/designees_delegations/designee_types/ame/amcs/

As most of you know, there are 16 separate diagnosis in FAR part 67 that require "special issuance" medical certification. As part of the "special issuance" medical certification, the airman is issued an "authorization letter" which is reviewed by AME's during the medical exam. The last time I checked the FAR's possession of the "authorization letter" was not a required item in order to exercise privileges of an airman. It still isn't, BUT according to the regional flight surgeon's office that instruction will be included in all future authorization letters AND the FAA is in the process of putting this regulation in the FAR's.

This is just plain NUTS! No FAA inspector that does a ramp check is going to be able to understand or interpet the information in the authorization letter without an MD or DO degree. Hell, I even call the FAA once a month or so to ask for interpretation help and I do about 200 airman physicals a year! I urge all of us to ask the AOPA to fight this STUPID proposed FAR and write our congressmen/senators about this.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit!

Bill Gilbirds, M.D., FAAFP, Senior AME

Why doesn't the FAA get caught up with technology and just issue a new Pilot Cert every time you get a new medical?

Just make the license expire like a drivers license so you don't have to carry a suitcase of paperwork with your every time.

I sent this thread and the FAA page with the "directive." to Gary Crump and Jacquie Brown in AOPA's medical dept. I'd like to know what problem FAA sees that might be solved by carrying around that piece of paper.

My last letter of Sept. 30, '08, didn't mention anything about this other than take it to your AME the next time you apply for a medical cert.

Jim

Here is Gary Crump's reply:

Unfortunately, that is correct. They originally intended it to be for international operations only, but then the lawyers got involved and now it is expected that you carry the authorization letter with you as part of your required documents. I'd suggest just making a copy of the auth. letter and keep it in the flight bag you carry when you fly.

A pain, yes, and thanks to our FAA attorneys.

Gary

What is the authorization letter? I have to carry a "Demonstration of Ability" "No useful vision left eye" Is that what they are referring to?

My dog barks when I start my cub do I need to carry a waver in the plane for that to. :nutz:

DW

SSSHHHH!!!!
Don't give'em any more ideas Dennis!

I will try to explain what an "authorization letter" is. When a pilot has a common disqualifying medical problem, say diabetes or coronary artery disease, the FAA medical folks will review the pilot's medical condition based on current status reports from treating physicians, lab values, medical records, etc. If the review is favorable, the airman receives a "special issuance authorization letter" which may have a duration as long as six years. In the letter are listed specific requirements for medical follow-up and intervals that these follow up test must be performed and provided to the FAA. In addition to these specific follow-up tests, the pilot has to perform routine FAA medical exams on a yearly or biannual basis depending on the class of the medical certificate.

Hope this helps explain this rather complicated process.

Bill G.

Regarding carrying a copy of the letter, if the feds stick with their previously documented policy, a copy of the letter is not THE LETTER and therefore you would be found non compliant with the regulation. Perhaps this is more of AOPA's less than well thought out advice.

Rich

AOPA 426339 since 1970

I see now that the new requirement to carry "Special Issuance Authorization" letters was in the recent final rule which changed the duration of medical certificates depending on age.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/E8-16911.pdf
See discussion on page 43063.

The revised 14CFR §67.401 will no doubt be on the back of our future medical certificates under "Conditions of Issue" although not yet on mine issued after this final rule.

9. Amend § 67.401 by revising
paragraph (j) to read as follows:
§ 67.401 Special issuance of medical
certificates.
(j) An Authorization or SODA granted
under the provisions of this section to
a person who does not meet the
applicable provisions of subparts B, C,
or D of this part must be in that person’s
physical possession or readily
accessible in the aircraft.

Back