• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Toad River, B.C. on the Alaska Highway

Christina Young

Andover-Aeroflex, 12N
Hi All,
Here's another cool cub stop - this time for those flying the Alaska Highway between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake.

On all the previous trips between Watson Lake and Fort Nelson I simply flew the airway because it is about an hour shorter in my cub, and also usually better weather because of lower elevations.

But on the way up this year there was some beautiful weather between these two points, so decided to take the scenic route and follow the Alaska Highway instead. I'm glad I did, lots of interesting wildlife to observe in those mountains!

About an hour out of Fort Nelson there is a wonderful little mountain village called Toad River, and it has a gravel strip across the highway from Toad River Lodge. You can land here and have a bite to eat, or get some autogas from their pumps if you need it. I stopped for lunch.

Here is a picture of the strip on final, landing to the west. The strip is the gravel area just to the right of the highway, and the lodge is on the left side of the highway (you see mostly their parking area in this picture).

IMG_3822a.jpg

Cool! Thanks again.
Any details on the runway? Length? Elevation? Suitable for tiny tires?

Phil

Toad River

I landed there last year from the opposite direction. There is a small hill directly north of the runway, so it is a semi-blind approach. When I turned on short final from around the hill, I was about 25 ft off of the highway and headed straight for an RV (Recreational Vehicle, not a Van's aircraft). The driver was wide-eyed as I came over.

The diner across the street from the strip had decent food and auto gas. We filled a gas can, had lunch and went on down the road.

All in all, a worthwhile stop.

Ed

Christina did you happen to see the price on the auto gas????

DW

PS great shot do you have a wing strut mounted camera?

AntiCub said:
Cool! Thanks again.
Any details on the runway? Length? Elevation? Suitable for tiny tires?

Phil

Hi Phil,
The chart says 2400' elevation and 3000' length, but I can't see how they got that length.... maybe it used to be that long? The strip is actually longer than it appears in the photo, but seemed something like 2000' to me. If you are flying something heavy you can climb out over the highway on your way out.

Okay for small tires (define "tiny"? 8) ), the rocks aren't that big. I didn't hesitate to recommend this stop to a guy I met up in Alaska who was ferrying down an 85 HP 1946 Commonwealth Skyranger he just bought, with small tires. His plane had short legs (just 23 gal total in both wings) and needed to land and get gas somewhere.

DW said:
Christina did you happen to see the price on the auto gas????

DW

PS great shot do you have a wing strut mounted camera?

No, sorry didn't check on the autogas price since I didn't need any. Photo was taken from backseat through the sliding glass window by my cameraman. :wink:

Coming through there a couple years ago, it was noted to me that the Toad River strip is a PRIVATE strip. I asked of the folks around there, and they said as long as you bought lunch and/or gas, nobody has any problem with landing there without permission.

I don't know the official length, but it's plenty big enough for anything short of a TBM 700 :lol:

Somewhere in official publications, Toad River is listed as Private, no public access. I was welcomed there as well, and the folks were nice.

Spent the night there due to late hour and weather.

MTV

Christina
Actually I ditched my "tiny" tires a few years back and upgraded to a set of whopping big 6.00x6 mains. :eek: I still have the tiny training wheel though. :-? As for legs, I only have 22.5gal usable, but then again at Cub speed I only burn 3.8gph. ;)

If it's reasonably smooth, 2000' feet will be plenty, but if it's rough or soft that's a different story with my small tires and small engine. :crazyeyes:

Phil

AntiCub said:
If it's reasonably smooth, 2000' feet will be plenty, but if it's rough or soft that's a different story with my small tires and small engine. :crazyeyes:

I don't think you'll have any problems. It's basically about as smooth as an ordinary gravel road.

Drove through there a few weeks ago. As far as "tiny" tires there was an RV6 (or 7) sitting there.

Back