• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Leading Edges

Skip

Savannah Ga
What is the best way to pull the new leading edge back tight against the nose ribs. Thanks Skip

Contact the Cub Club for a reprint on the article Clyde Smith wrote about leading edge installation. It includes a diagram for building an installation tool (may be the same tool that Steve Pierce is using).

I've used the tools shown in the Cub Club newsletter and they work great. I've used ratcheting cargo straps (around the rear spar) and they worked well too.

John Scott

Steve sent me a couple of his installation tools to copy. I took measurements off of them and then transferred them into my CAD program. I have not completely finished the drawings yet, but I can probably do so and then transfer them into .PDF format and upload it here so that anybody who wants to make a set can do so. I also know that Steve can get them water cut for you if needed.

Brian.

i'd be VERY interested in these tools as I have 2 bent wings to repair this coming winter. Any idea on how much these tools might cost?

Well, being that the tools are probably not copyrighted...Once I get the drawings finished, they will be free. Your main cost would be in how much the material is at the yard and time to build them up.

As for water cut parts via Steve Pierce, you would have to ask him how much that would run.

Brian.

It is funny this came up. Jr was asking me last week about making him a set of these tools. I drooped them off at the machine shop that milled out the handles and water jetted the frames. I will post some pictures when I get Internet at the hanger. I was getting prices for about 6 sets. Also made a simple puller for installing new bushings in the rudder, elevator, and stabilizers. I have been using the two prototypes. Looking at $20 for this tool. I will post some pictures.

Here are some pictures of the tools I made. I am waiting for my machinist friend to get me a price on water jetting the frames and milling out the handles.

100_2361.jpg

100_2365.jpg

Add me to your customer list - how many do you think it takes to put the normal length section on? One of these and a bunch of Harbor Freight straps?

Steve, I just today bolted my wings on the 12 project and am also interested in purchasing as many of these you need to put skins on...

Hey those look slick. I wish I'd have known about them a year or so ago. I used cargo straps and some thin wood shims between the straps and the L.E. to take the slack of the strap when I put the new ones on the -12 wing.

This is the standard tool.

100_2373.jpg

This is the tool that goes around the lift strut fitting.
100_2371.jpg

There are 5 clamps shown here holding the skin on.
100_2370.jpg

From the quote from the machine shop it looks like the clamps will be $100 each. You can do the job fine with 3 clamps. I prefer 5 so I can clamp at each rib, drill and install screws without having to move any clamps. Does a lot better job that the wood clamps I used to use which push the skins forward and leaves a slight gap sometimes between the skin and rib. A lot easier than ratchet straps also. I have thought about building a set to rent out because a lot of people will only need them one time. Any thoughts?

I'll take 2 normal ones and one that will go over the strut fitting. Tell me where to send my $$$!!! Will the one that goes over the strut fitting work only over the strut fitting or could it work in other places as well? Thanks!

Bill

Having a couple of sets to rent would be handy for guys not in the business of rebuilding Cubs.

At $500.00 a set, I can't see myself buying a set for the few times I replace a set of LE skins. I'm building a set of wings now and will be at point where I'll need a set for a few hours in the near future. A rental program would be nice for my purpose.

Maybe a 5 to 10 day rental for $100.00 plus freight.... In five rentals you could recover your cost.

I've used ratchet straps in the past and they work, but can be a pain at times. The key to tight leading edge skins is like in your picture, even pressure across the entire skin at each rib. There should be no air gaps between the skin and the nose of the rib. None! I like to see good work like that.

Take care.

Crash

dhc2boy said:
I'll take 2 normal ones and one that will go over the strut fitting. Tell me where to send my $$$!!! Will the one that goes over the strut fitting work only over the strut fitting or could it work in other places as well? Thanks!

Bill

Bill, Yes, you can use the special one anywhere on the wing.

Crash, I agree 100%. Not everyone builds wings a lot. I will build up a couple of sets to rent out.

My plan is to make 5-6 sets. Will wait a short while to see what the response is before I order the materials.

My address is:

Pierce Aero
196 Hwy. 380 East
Graham, Texas 76450

Thanks.

Well, I got the leading edge clamps from Steve Pierce and they worked great. Was not able to get that final 1/16th gap out from the rib to the leading edge with ratchet straps, etc.
Put those clamps on and two hours later I have one wing done perfectly. (well at least I think so)
Thanks Steve!
Dave

Now that you mention it, the last wing I did with new leading edges had that last 1/16" gap in there. I admit, I made the LEs out of flat sheets, but still, it would have been worth it to use these tools. Guess I better save my pennies and go visit Steve - and drop in to Sulphur Springs on the way.

Dakota Cub has a LE installation guide at:

http://www.dakotacub.com/new_page_40.htm

Near the bottom, figure 6 shows an easy to make tool that I made and used. I used cargo straps to get the LE close to tight and then this tool to do the final tightening. It is significantly better than cargo straps alone, but probably not as nice as Steve's tool. On the plus side, it is very easy to make yourself from a strip of sheet metal and some scrap 1"x"4 boards.

Back