• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Quick Question - Gas Welding

Grant

FRIEND
At Work.....
I picked up a small torch kit and was wondering about how much welding time I'll get out of these small bottles.

2003portatorch.jpg

Not much. I have about 200 bucks in medium size oxy and acetylene bottles. Not bad and they keep me from going to the local welding house too often. The large bottles are big and unwieldy. Your setup should work with the larger bottles.

Brad

Those would probably be ok for short practice sessions. Check Craigslist for used bottles. When you take them in to get filled they will give you different bottles anyway. I have the bottles that are around 5ft tall. I have filled my bottles 3 times during my project.

Grant
Check with the welding supply or gas distributor BEFORE you buy used bottles.Most suppliers will NOT fill bottles over certain size if they are not purchased or leased from them.
These bottles are coded with production dates and mfg info.Lots of bottles out there for cheap but you can't get them filled.
If you are planning on doing a lot of gas welding I suggest getting bottles that will last a while.
Bottles about 3-4ft tall will last and are relatively cheap to buy and fill.Spares are always good!
Bill

Ive seen setups where a couple of transfer hoses are used from big to small to be able to keep the using the handyness of the small ones. doug

The little mc acetylene has a conversion fitting to fit a large bottle and I believe the oxygen will automatically fit a large bottle
John

Back