• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Which Smart Level?

Mark Grubb

SoCal
Several people recommended a Smart Level for rigging purposes. I am going to buy one and was wondering which length people recommend as most useful.

24, 36 or 48 inches?

Thanks! Mark

I just picked one up from home depot. $39.99

Now I know it's not the best but it gives me an idea if my fuselage is straight. The ones to get are just a small component that is the sensing part of the system. From there it can be inserted into many different fixtures for a specific application. they also have multiple length traditional levels available for these to be used with. So to answer your question get one like the one below and buy the length level you need I would think a 24" would be fine.

smartlevel.jpg

12-21365.jpg

Smart%20leveler.JPG

Notchbend_aligner_blk.JPG

Level%20Module%20Installed.jpg

I'm off to Home Depot 39.95 is a hole lot better then 169.95 more fuel.

Dennis

I have one of these but haven't figured out how to make it 0 on a surface and take relative readings. Not possible?

Hold it on the surface you want to zero it on (10 seconds) -- Push the Calibrate button, it will read cal 1, Turn it end for end, wait 10 seconds (very important to wait) Push the Calibrate button, it will read Cal 2. You are set 0.0 to that surface.

I would get the 4' version, you can always just take the module out and use it on smaller projects. 4' reaches across the spars on a cub.

Gerald - you sure? The one I use, you need to hold it in the same manner, and calibrate for that angle. Doing the end-for-end swap calibrates it for earth level.

When you buy the thing, insist on the little instruction booklet.

:oops: Seems that Bob is correct - what I said just don't turn it end for end the get the relative angle. Earth level (is the earth level?) you turn it end for end.

The origanal Smart Level would "Zero" at any angle, the Smart Tool I have will only "Zero" if you are a few degrees from true level or plumb. Not very good for setting wash, you have to raise the tail. The more expensive digital levels I have seen will "Zero" at any angle.

Fabman - the answer is the same even if you don't zero. Look for something like 14 degrees at the but rib, then subtract 2.6 from that (or 1.5 if you like to live dangerously, like most of us) and you get 11.4 degrees (12.5).

It's a little more work, but not nearly as much as leveling the aircraft - and if your wings are set wrong on the fuselage, even leveling is not good enough. Measure the wing.

bob turner said:
Fabman - the answer is the same even if you don't zero. Look for something like 14 degrees at the but rib, then subtract 2.6 from that (or 1.5 if you like to live dangerously, like most of us) and you get 11.4 degrees (12.5).

It's a little more work, but not nearly as much as leveling the aircraft - and if your wings are set wrong on the fuselage, even leveling is not good enough. Measure the wing.

I got lazy using the "Zero" reset. You have to to do the math with out it. :D

Back