• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

There it is

Tim

FRIEND
Petersburgh, NY
We went ski flying today. Landed on lake George where they were having a winter festival. We landed a ways out on the ice to stay away from the crowd. Some of the local guys were going across open water with there sleds. We knew it wouldn't be long before one went in. The guy got back on the ice and had ahold of the sled when 5 of his buddys came to help. They all fell in got out and left. Quite a site.
There_s_my_sled.jpg

Tim,
Help me out here. Being from Louisiana I don't understand
ice. Is that it? He just lost his sled in the lake? Do they come
back in the summer and get it out?? Or do they just
have another beer and laugh it off??

Joe

Hey Buddy can I get a ride with you to the bar and who has the Yamaha catalog I am going to need a new sled.
Typically they come get the sled out Joe. The problem is the environmental police once aware of the gasoline burning oil laden device is in the lake start a clock for the assessment of fines. In Maine the first 24 hours is relatively free then If memory serves me right the $10,000 a day clock starts.
Most sleds and trucks come back out real quick.
John

Man oh man, John,
I would really like to see the recovery of a truck
through the ice!

Joe

Sleds and TRUCKS?! People drive over the ice in trucks and sometimes sink into the water!? I don't think any of y'all up there need to be talking trash about those of us who live down south. I've never seen anybody down here try to use their pickup to do what their bass boat was meant for.

I was at our place at the lake the other day. It was 8 degrees out with a good wind. Guy from Arkansas visiting the area got confused and drove right into the open water off our point (3 mph current keeps it open all winter).

He had to be the luckiest son of a gun you ever met because he managed to do it right on the very edge of an underwater island and went down in 4 feet of water. The front of the sled stayed up on the ice and he climbed over that onto the ice. Then he decided to try and rescue the sled and jumped into the water up to his midchest to try and push it out...

About 10 seconds after he jumped in he decided that wasn't a good idea and climbed out over the sled and made a beeline to our guest cabin and kicked in the door. First smart move of the day. He then shed his clothes, put on some of my Dad's, and covered himself in wool blankets. The clothes he took off were frozen solid and upright when we noticed the sled and went to assist. We took him up to the main camp and parked him in front of the rinnai heater.

His mates showed up to assist. I crawled out onto the edge of the underwater island (I know where it is shallow) with a life jacket on, rope and pokey poles and ran a sling through the skis. The sled popped right out with a pulley set. Those are good rigs to have around.

It was his lucky day. If he'd been ten feet to the right of where he went in he would have been in 15 feet of water and current. Unless you've got your wits about you and two pokey poles (usually sharpened screwdrivers carried in a little holster) he would have been unable to get out and paralyzed in about 3 minutes and off to harp lessons shortly thereafter.....

O B G Is sooo correct. My mama taught me to stay in
the cabin when the temperature gets below 32!

Sue was in St Louis last year during an ice storm and caught a cab
from the hotel to the University. The driver was breezin' along the
expressway at 45+ with frequent fishtailing. She asked him
if he had some sort of special tires. No, he said, you just have
to learn to kind of stay in the ruts........

NO THANK YOU. Like O B G, if you can't float the boat I'll
just stay on the dock, thank you.

Joe

(And I've been told some guys actually LAND CUBS ON
FROZEN LAKES!! YOIKES)

Sooo, 'den Joe, I guess it's time we retell the epic tale, "Sven an' Olie go late-season duck huntin' ", eh? Dat dog, Bruno was a heckuffa retriever.

Meet ya at 'da Wayside Tavern, back booth as ususal.... :D :drinking:

Tanks, eh? cubscout

Back