• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

main master switch question

teeweed

GONE WEST
Hempstead, Texas
Three questions that I need some help on. First... the master toggle switch that is over head on most cubs can be flipped either on main or aux. Which one should you use and when? Second question..... I have no power when I flip the toggle switch to the main... I get nothing........this just started a couple of weeks ago. Can someone tell me where I can start looking to fix this and three... is it hazard to fly with out both working? Thanks teeweed

Teeweed,
There should be a fuse holder by the master solenoid, in the battery box. Two fuses in there. Bet one of them is bad.

There are two fuses at the battery. The switch is using one fuse in the up position and the other in the down. You either have a blown fuse or a bad fuse holder. The only hazard is if you lose one fuse in flight you don't have any electrical power.

Do you still have the two-fuse system? If so, check to see if one of the fuses has blown, or try cleaning the contacts and connections.

If you still have the old, original master switch, could be it's giving you trouble. But if you have the fuses, I'll bet they're the problem.

Jim

Thanks everyone. I still have the two fuse system and I have checked both fuses and they look ok. I will clean the contacts next. The only thing left would be the toggle switch itself or wiring. teeweed

Toggle switches do fail - I just had a strobe toggle switch disintegrate. Master switch is a pain in the neck to replace, but often the panel itself comes out, and makes it a bit easier.

The great thing about the old system is it didn't have a master solenoid. If you didn't have radios or lights, you could forget to turn the master off, come back a week later and still have a good battery. :oops:

Back