• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Strippers!

ulpilot

FRIEND
Yea, I knew the subject line would get your attention.

I got myself talked into heading up the committee to repaint on of my flying clubs 172's.

My question is, what kind of paint strippers are you guys using? We are going to do the stripping outdoors at a county owned airport, so need something more environmentally acceptable. Thanks.

My son used Soygel http://www.franmar.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=010474045ae960684c3d21c677452ae3 to strip the control surfaces of an Arrow, and it worked well. No fumes, didn't attack the aluminum, cleans up with water, you don't need to wear protective gear. Can't say how it reacts to plexiglass or plastic.

You paint it on, cover it with plastic (like a really thin painter's plastic drop cloth), let it sit for 4 - 8 - 12 hours, then scrub off the dissolved paint with a ScotchBrite pad and running water. It's really pretty easy. Still some elbow grease involved, but not a miserable experience.

I thought that this was going to be another string on stripping naked!

By the way, I don't recommend it. That stuff is hard enough on the hands. You can imagine how it effects some of the more tender tissues. :yikez:

strippers

For the record I am PRO strippers. But all BS aside I just took some cessna and weatherly Spray plane parts to a local soda blaster to have the old paint removed. Worked perfect with no mess and no damage to the aluminum.

Dave

I strip parts with the aircraft paint stripper I get at O'Reily Auto Parts. Put the part in aluminum foil, coat with stripper, fold it up and walk away. I have forgotten it and come back the next day and it was still wet and took all the paint of with little effort. Si did the same on some early 1980s metal SC controls. They were a pain. Piper used some tough paint and primer back then.

Thanks for the replies. We are looking into to different brands right now. The painter recommends Klean-Strip Aircraft Remover, and he said the fumes are pretty nasty, so he only uses it with the hangar open. The other is EFS-2500, which is supposed to be environmentally better.

A lot of the strippers are enviromentally friendly, the paint is not. Catch the paint, let it dry and sweep it up.

Just used the EFS2500 product recommended above to remove 5 to 7 layers of fuel tank sealant on an ole Mooney. Man it works great! Wish I had know about it before I stripped the paint of the ole girl.

Pat

Back