• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Termination of 121.5 Satellite Alerting

Greg Smith

Merritt Island, FL
At first I thought "there is plenty of time." Then I realized that is barely a year and a half away. The way time has been screaming by for me recently, it'll be here in what seems like about two weeks...

--------------

FAASafety.gov - General Information "Termination of 121.5 MHz Beacons for Satellite Alerting is Coming Soon"Notice Number: NOTC0981

On 1 February 2009, the International Cospas-Sarsat [1] Organization (U.S. included) will terminate processing of distress signals emitted by 121.5 MHz Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs). This means that pilots flying aircraft equipped with 121.5 MHz ELTs after that date will have to depend on pilots of over flying aircraft and or ground stations monitoring 121.5 to hear and report distress alert signals, transmitted from a possible crash site.

Why is this happening?

Although lives have been saved by 121.5 MHz ELTs, the downside has been their propensity to generate false alerts (approximately 98 percent of all 121.5 MHz alerts are false), and their failure to provide rescue forces with timely and accurate crash location data. Both of which actually delay rescue efforts and have a direct effect on an individual's chance for survival. Rescue forces have to respond to all 121.5 MHz alerts to determine if they are real distress alerts or if they are being generated by an interferer, an inadvertent activation (by the owner) or equipment failure.

Is there an alternative?

Yes, the Cospas-Sarsat System (U.S. included) has been and will continue processing emergency signals transmitted by 406 MHz ELTs. These 5 Watt digital beacons transmit a much stronger signal, are more accurate, verifiable and traceable to the registered beacon owner (406 MHz ELTs must be registered by the owner in accordance with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulation). Registration allows the search and rescue authorities to contact the beacon owner, or his or her designated alternate by telephone to determine if a real emergency exists. Therefore, a simple telephone call often solves a 406 MHz alerts without launching costly and limited search and rescue resources, which would have to be done for a 121.5 MHz alert. For these reasons, the search and rescue community is encouraging aircraft owners to consider retrofit of 406 MHz ELTs or at a minimum, consider the purchase of a handheld 406 MHz Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) which can be carried in the cockpit while continuing to maintain a fixed 121.5 MHz ELT mounted in the aircraft's tail.

Remember, after February 1, 2009, the world-wide Cospas-Sarsat satellite system will no longer process 121.5 MHz alert signals. Pilots involved in aircraft accidents in remote areas will have to depend on pilots of over flying aircraft and or ground stations to hear emergency ELT distress signals. For further information concerning the termination of 121.5 MHz data processing visit www.sarsat.noaa.gov

to bridge over until 09 I ordered a PLB ACR MicroFix, that works on 406 MHz, with built in GPS. A better deal than the old 121.5 ELT anyway.
PreparedPilot.com, Rob Hunter has a good deal.

Note, however that the FAA doesn't say you'll be required to replace your existing ELT with a 406 beacon, only that the satellites won't report it if it goes off.

I have to believe that prices will come down however at some point on the 406 ELT's. Is there more than one available for under $1000 yet?

In the meantime, the PLB is a good deal.

MTV

This subject has become even more relevant with the disappearance of Steve Fossett. Would all those people still be out there looking if he had been equipped with either a 406 ELT or the equivalent personal locator beacon with GPS? with either i think he would have been found the day after he went missing.
several years ago i had occasion to order batteries for some ACR marine EPIRB's that we used in my workplace in SE Asia. i contacted ACR regarding a local agent and was told the nearest was in Japan and that the dangerous goods nature of the Li batteries made them difficult/expensive to ship anywhere. Subsequently i ordered 3 complete new items from french manufacturer who had an agent nearby in Singapore. With the hope that a local agent would make battery replacement easier in the future.
i took one of the old ACR EPIRB's home with the intention of installing it on my boat, knowing there was an agent in Australia. when i called and asked about the cost/availability of a new battery i was told that they cost more than the original EPIRB!! not including the cost of the installation.
i went out and bought a personal GPIRB from a local manufacturer and hope that when it comes time to replace the battery in a few years i won't have to purchase a whole new unit! The batteries are not classed as dangerous goods, and it's easily moved from the boat to the Cub or the truck.
i think the lesson here is that it's advisable to check at the time of purchase that batteries are available locally (no matter where you live) and at a reasonable price.
That being said, GPIRB's are definitely the way to go if you want to be found in the shortest time.
cheers,
Phil

Bought my PLB from Rob Hunter @ PreparedPilot yesterday and got it today.Struggled with the cost a little but I fly in some really remote places as well as hunt in some really remote places. When you think about laying outside your airplane or laying up on some mountain chewed up by a grizzly in need of some serious help $650.00 really doesn't seem so bad I'm sure.

Mike,
Its my understanding that Rob sells that exact PLB for $550.00 which appears to be the exact same price as your link. However the one for $100.00 more is smaller in size than the one for $550.00. I talked to Rob on the phone and asked him exactly why this model was $100.00 more and that's what he told me. Maybe you want a bigger one and I want a smaller one. For me I guess its worth a $100.00 more for what I'm going to use for. Not that I'm apposed to getting the best deal I can.

ELT & EPRB

ELT’s and EPRB’s

Elt’s and EPRB’s are guaranteed to do one thing only.

The one thing they are very good at and continue to improve at is the following:

They take the thought process of risk assessment and preparation for life out of the psychic.

They propagate the idea that someone else will take care of you when you can’t take care of yourself.

This is a self defeating idea and gives one the wrong, wrong, wrong mental set.

This is also the idea behind the ballistic parachute. Do you want to be in charge of your life when your engine fails or do you want someone else in charge?

Point well taken, arcticairalaska. I think we can have it both ways, though, and be prepared for the unexpected mentally, from a training standpoint and from a technology standpoint.

...my 2 cents...

Randy

PA11,

Sorry, but the man misled you. The unit I referenced is cheaper because it is a different color, PERIOD. Same physical size as the one he's selling, same features, precisely the same machine except it's being marketed to BOAT people, as opposed to AIRPLANE people. Check out the web site I referenced, and READ the specs, then compare them to the unit you just bought. Same machine. This has been discussed on this site several times.

I completely agree with Arcticair on his assessment, with the caveat that there may come a time when you simply CAN'T save yourself or someone else without some assistance. That's when the PLB comes into play.

Nevertheless, I don't know of anyone who's ever suggested that they got braver because they have an ELT in their airplane or a PLB in their pocket.

It's a tool, like any other.

Hope you never really need it.

MTV

Full functional self-test of internal circuitry, battery voltage and power, 406 MHz transmission and GPS acquisition—an ACR exclusive.

n The MicroFix™ is the smallest, 1.4 x 5.85 x 2.21 (35.5 x 149 x 56 cm),

lightest, 10 oz (285 g), and most function-rich in existence.

n Typical operating life: 40 hrs at -4°F (-20°C) and 8 hrs at -40°F (-40°C).

n Two Class II lithium battery packs. Batteries are non-hazmat making shipping safe, fast and easy. Five-year replacement cycle (11-year storage).

n Waterproof up to 16 ft (5 m) at one hour and 33 ft (10 m) at ten minutes.

n A flat, stainless steel antenna wraps compactly around the unit for easy stowage, and is ready for rapid deployment.

Full functional self-test of internal circuitry, battery voltage and power, 406 MHz transmission and GPS acquisition—an ACR exclusive.

n The MicroFix™ is the smallest, 1.4 x 5.85 x 2.21 (35.5 x 149 x 56 cm),

lightest, 10 oz (285 g), and most function-rich in existence.

n Typical operating life: 40 hrs at -4°F (-20°C) and 8 hrs at -40°F (-40°C).

n Two Class II lithium battery packs. Batteries are non-hazmat making shipping safe, fast and easy. Five-year replacement cycle (11-year storage).

n Waterproof up to 16 ft (5 m) at one hour and 33 ft (10 m) at ten minutes.

n A flat, stainless steel antenna wraps compactly around the unit for easy stowage, and is ready for rapid deployment.

Specifications

Size: 1.74 x 5.71 x 3.03 in (4.4 x 14.5 x 7.7 cm)
Weight: 12 oz. (343g) w/o holster; 13.3 oz. (378 g) with holster
Batteries: Two Lithium battery packs with 2,500mAmp Hours @ -20oC; 5 year replacement life (11 year storage)
Material: Glass reinforced polycarbonate blend
Color: ACRtreuse with Black holster
Storage: -40ºC to +70ºC (-58ºF to +158ºF)
Deployment: Manual
Operation: Deploy antenna, press both test buttons simultaneously
Accessories: P-ELT Holster, Bulkhead Mounting bracket; GPS Interface Cable with LED
Certification: FCC Approved (Model: PLB-200)
Limited Warranty: 5 years
Radiated Power: 5 watts ±2dB (406 MHz) 50 mW ±3dB (121.5 MHz)
Operational Life: In excess of 24 hours @ -20ºC (-4º F), longer in higher ambient temperatures

Sorry Mike,
The two he sells are different sizes and weights.I don't think the "man" wants to be accused of saying something that just isn't true when infact it appears what he told me was exactly right.

PA11,

Here are the specs of the machine from Puget Sound Inflatables, for a hundred dollars cheaper:

Size: 1.4 x 5.85 x 2.21 in (35.5 x 149 x 56 cm)
Weight: 10 oz (283.5 g)
Batteries: Class 2 lithium battery packs, (non-hazmat)
min. transmit 24 hrs @ -20°C
5 year replacement life (11 year storage)
Material: Engineered polycarbonate blend
Color: Hi-viz Chartreuse
Storage: -40°F to 158°F (-40°C to 70°C)
Deployment: Manual
Operation: 2 steps: deploy antenna, press ON button,
giving clear view of sky
Waterproof: 16 ft (5 m) @ 1 hr., 33 ft (10 m) @ 10 min.
Factory tested @ 70°F
Exceeds RTCM waterproof requirements
Certification COSPAS-SARSAT and FCC approval
Limited Warranty: 5 years
Radiated Power: 5 W ±2dB (406 MHz) 50 mW ±3dB (121.5 MHz)
Operational Life: In excess of 24 Hours @ -20°C (-4°F)
Typical performance is: 36 Hours @ -4°F (-20°C)
20 Hours @ -40°F (-40°C)
Longer in higher ambient temperatures

Does any of that sound familiar?????

Do some research. I did. Same machine. The one HE'S talking about being cheaper is in fact larger, heavier, and cheaper.

THIS is the same machine that HE'S selling, only $100 cheaper. He and I have had this conversation before, by the way, on another site. He doesn't believe it, but I have a PLB in my possession and the invoice to prove it. He just keeps saying that ACR won't give him that price. That's because he's selling the AVIATION version, which is identical.

PLEASE read the specs from the website I provided, and forward them on to the guy who sold you the unit.

Though, he's already seen them....

MTV

Hi pfjay52. I read that Steve Fossett had a 406 / watch combination. Don't know that it had the gps function. Jerry B.

pa11/mike,

You guys are both correct. The old version was larger than the newer more expensive one. BUT there is an "aviation" specific and nautical version of each version that are identical but for price. In fact, of the new ones, the nautical version comes in a pouch that allows the new unit to float (the older one did float by itself). I bought the nautical version of the new unit.

freestone,

That is correct. There is an older version of these machines, that sells for less money. It is larger, and requires more monkey motion to activate.

Of the newer version, there is, as I noted, a "marine" version and an "aviation" version, which by the way are identical, except the marine version comes with a "wet suit" cover which makes it bouyant.

The marine version of the same machine does precisely the same thing, and is available for about $100 cheaper than his "aviation" version pricing.

I don't have a problem with folks promoting an "aviation" version of something, but we've had this conversation before, and the guy selling the "aviation" version should know that there is a version of the machine that is cheaper than what he's selling, and it's the same machine, for all practical purposes.

He has been provided with the Puget Sound Inflatables web site, at least.

MTV

This probably has been pointed out before, but it might warrant repetition:

An ELT is set into operation by g-force, which is expected to be the impact of a crash. If the crash is so severe that the ELT does not operate, then it might take longer to find your body.

A PLB is manually set into operation. My ACR MicroFix has a setup sequence that requires that you be alive, mentally functional, physically able to get to the gadget, open the antenna and push the "on" button for at least 1 second, and then set it up properly on the ground - preferably on its back with the antenna pointed upward and away from blocking objects. It is an impressive electronic machine that will probably do what it advertises, as long as you can meet all the requirements.

If my cub is going down, my MicroFix will get opened and turned on in the cockpit, and then thrown out the window. I probably will quit flying nearby. It looks tougher than me and will probably land in better shape than I.

My suggestion for the future would be to link a 406 MHz ELT with a navigational GPS, so that the ELT remembers a nearly last Lat-Long that the GPS sent it. (The last position may be garbled by the impact.) That position can then be transmitted continually to a friendly SARSAT. This should be more reliable, and cheaper, than incorporating a GPS in the ELT itself.

McCub said:
If my cub is going down, my MicroFix will get opened and turned on in the cockpit, and then thrown out the window. I probably will quit flying nearby. It looks tougher than me and will probably land in better shape than I.

McCub,

I don't think your plan to activate the PLB and then throw it out the window is a very good idea. The main reason being that there is a good chance the PLB will not survive the impact. The ACR PLBs have undergone impact testing but only drops from 1-2 meters onto wood, steel and concrete. The forces involved in being jettisoned from an airplane would be much higher. If you dropped it in a lake or into deep snow the forces might not be too high but the unit can not transmit effectively underwater or significant snow. Humans are much more likely to die of ejected too. That is part of the reason we wear seat belts. We want breaking trees and bushes and bending metal to absorb as much of the force as possible so our bodies don't have to.

ACR does recommend activating the PLB prior to impact if possible in case you are rendered unconscious by the crash. Personally, I think I will concentrate 100% on making an emergency landing as survivable as possible instead of taking attention away from flying to activate a PLB in an emergency. I just do not have enough experience making emergency landings to be comfortable dealing with another distraction other than flying the airplane. Based on the number of people that crash a perfectly good airplane due to a distraction, such as a door that pops open on take off, I doubt I am the only one. There are exceptions of course for example if I was at altitude over a fog layer I would likely activate my beacon.

Another point to keep in mind is that it takes a PLB with a built in GPS about 15 minutes to find its GPS location so it is unlikely your location would be transmitted before impact. Your distress signal would be transmitted within a minute of pressing the button but with out the GPS location or multiple transmissions so that the satellites can make use doppler shift, it would not do as much good as you would like.

Best Regards,
Rob Hunter

Back