• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

nav to oregon area?

AviatorPA11

Fallbrook, CA
Hi guys, just looking for any advice on a flight from Sacramento area to Bend, Ore. Just wondering what would be the safest route? I know there are alot of tall mountains in the area between. I would be in a pa-11 with a 90hp. Possible klamath to bend? would it be safer to stay west and then cut over? Any other info would be apprieciated or advice. Thanks

Klamath to Bend is easy, but boring. The thing to watch is the run up the Dunsmuir canyon - there is no place to land but the freeway, and those trucks will roll right over you. But you probably should stay within gliding distance of the freeway anyway. The river is an option for a forced landing, and you will be close to civilization.

At Weed, hang a right and follow the road to LMT - then skirt the class D and fly the highway north. Piece of cake.

I am recommending the PA11 as maybe the finest "have fun on a budget" airplane of all time, with the J-3 right behind . . . I am telling all my students to get a PA11 (or a Legend if they are wealthy).

I've done this a few times from Woodland. Just fly up the valley, stay west of Shasta and stop at Montegue. Then right on up east of the Cascades to Bend. Nice trip! :angel:

I haven't made the trip from central CA to Klamath in a number of years and I never had the good sense to stay west of Shasta. There are a number of strips to the east if you want to navigate it but you won't find a thing in the way of services at any of them if you have a problem, including fuel for the most part.
I really second the stop at Montague, Dave and Christine are good folks trying to keep the operation going there. Make the trip on Sunday AM and plan for the morning cinnamon roll arrival.

I also like going up the valley to Fall River and then cross the mountains at the pass at Lakeview, Oregon. Weed, CA, Alturas, CA and Lakeview, OR all have very good FBOs (although someone just told me that Marty at Lakeview recently died; a shame; he was a very nice man and a great Cub driver).

375HandH

I recently took my 65HP J-3 from WA down the same route all the way to Redding, CA. This was July 4th mind you. We stopped in Grants Pass, OR and Eureka, CA. We too stayed west of Mt Shasta and did most of our flying in the early morning, getting down by lunch each day. You won't have near the issues in a 90HP PA-11 as we did. But the trip through the valleys don't leave many options in a pinch as Bob indicated.

Mike-

As a matter of fact, I was able to make a call to Santa Paula from my luxurious Afghani resort. The engine has been gone-through, a new Sreve's gascolater installed. The verdict is a bad batch of fuel. I'm not interested in pursuing this. I'm not the litigation type, and sure wouldn't want to cause pain for some well-meaning FBO. Plus, I can't prove where it came from anyway. I filled up about 4 times that day.

The fuselage had the 12" registration numbers removed, paint re-done and the black lightning bolt restored. The Rudder now has 3" black checkers so I don't lose my Cub in the parking lot. The wings will go on next week and a good (and patient) friend will fly her back to Olympia by the end of September. He also flies a P-51 and F4F Wildcat, so he should be able to handle that kind of power. She should be waiting for me in the the hangar when I return in November...just in time for the rain festival!

Mike-

Back