• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cerified easy great meals on a jetboil

Fortysix12

RanchAero Grand Vista, Brooksville
I am assembling my back county manual - dining section and could use all the good recipes I can get.

Jeff,

I pretty much use my jetboil with a french press to make coffee. Then I have the will to fly somewhere and buy lunch...

But seriously, if you are trying to make it easy, some of the Mountain House stuff I have tried is pretty good - not stellar, but easy, nourishing, nearly self contained and very light to carry.

sj

Mountain House requires water, though, so take it or camp near it.

Some of the self heating meals aren't too bad for road food, quick and easy. Not light, and wind up with some trash after, but no dishes to wash, and it comes with the water.

MTV

Fortysix12 said:
I am assembling my back county manual - dining section and could use all the good recipes I can get.

Ask Crash... he has some great recipes! Screw the Mountain House, bring on the steak and Yukon kings! You guys wouldn't believe how much sh$t I took from him for bringing out Mtn House & MREs for dinner!!!

To each his or her own....

To me, eating is something you have to do to keep your energy level up for the next adventure. The quicker and simpler it gets done, with the least dishes to do, the better.

I don't like cheap beer, though :) .

I'll take a nice Merlot with my heater meal, thank you very much.

MTV

After emptying my wallet to fill the tanks in order to get to the back country, I'd give serious consideration to a case of ramen noodles. They're cheap & light! :wink:

Building on what SJ & MTV said, the coffee pot w/Starbucks and a bottle of Crown would have to come along too. Gotta draw the line on "roughing it" somewhere. :drinking:

Just a rifle and a few shells, all the great food you could want!

Fruit on the trees.

Bring the beer, because it is not available out there. :drinking:

Guess what I got for fathers day.

Group cooking System Jet boil. I boiled water today. Great outdoors here I come.

Jeffy,

It is not lost on me that you posted this in the "flying humor" forum... :)

Cristina:

Most of our cubs are nowhere near as light, fast, or out short at Crash's so we can't back so much beef, propane, charcoal, condiments, crudites, hoers d'overs, croutons, on our trips... :)

sj

I hate to offer a serious thought in a humorous forum but food is close to my heart...

One week when my wife was out of town I cooked with the jetboil exclusively. (She wasn't particularly happy when she found out I was using gas canisters indoors.)

Here are the results:
Popcorn is great for an evening/morning snack/meal.
Oatmeal (the real stuff that has to be soaked the night before) is good.
Anything can be cooked with rice including canned chicken,turkey,beef.
Rahman noodles with anything (egg, cheese, meats)
Tabasco is good on everything, including macaroni.

Best of all, whatever is left over from dinner can be covered and eaten for breakfast with a little bread.

Steve, if your Cub didn't have every mod known to man and didn't weigh over 1300 lbs empty, maybe you could eat like a king when camping out as well. :lol:

Seriously...one of the reasons I own a Cub and not some spandex shorts and hiking boots is so I can take some stuff along when heading out in the boonies. I back packed the Alaska mountains as a youth and have no desire to go back to shortening my tooth brush handle to save weight.

Some of the things I like to carry for food.

Three days of normal food to start with backed up by seven days of Mountain House and a Jet Boil or MSR stove. The Mountain House and Jet Boil stay in my survival gear bag unless absolutely needed.

One quick meal I like to take is Lloyds BBQ ribs you can buy at Costco. They're pre-cooked and come vacuum packed with extra BBQ sauce. I open the package at home and cut the ribs into single rib pieces. After rolling each one in the extra sauce, I then double wrap them three to a pack in tin foil.

The first day out is usually the hardest with getting launched and a long day flying. The last thing I want to do is fix a meal from scratch. I just build a fire and drop several rib packages into the coals. Fifteen minutes later you're chowing down on some pretty good hot BBQ ribs.

I also par-boil (boiled till a fork goes in them but not too soft) a bunch of potatoes at home and double wrap them with butter applied to the skins. These also go in the coals for about 15 - 20 minutes as well. With sour cream and butter they're a great addition to the ribs.

The par-boiled potatoes are also great sliced up and fried as home fries for breakfast. Or sliced up and fried with onions, served with fresh Trout or Grayling (Moose when in season). A lot of things you can do with a bag of potatoes and a couple of onions.

Sliced Black Forest ham and Tillamook cheese make a great grilled ham and cheese sandwich with soup make for a quick hot meal after a long day flying.

I also usually take some frozen steaks and salmon along. These are dense and stay frozen well. I purchased a small "super insulated" cooler that doubles as my camp stool. I store the meat, eggs and cheese in it.

I usually can catch several meals with a fly rod which allows me to space my "home brought" food out for several more days.

I don't like bringing a lot of canned stuff. It's a hassle packing the trash along during the rest of the trip. A lot of soups can be found in boxes. One of the best tomato soups is Pacifica brand and it comes in single 16 oz and 32 oz boxes.

Just some ideas I've picked up over the years.

If you really love the taste of MRE's or Mountain House then just take it along. I for one really don't like the stuff unless that's all there is to eat.

Nothing I like better then taking off in the Cub with a tent, sleeping bag, some grub and no place in particular I need to be.

The richest man in the world doesn't know fun like this.

Take care.

Crash

Great menu ideas Crash. I just printed it out and am going to the grocery store. I just bought one of those high-tech MSR stoves that runs on 100LL Avgas to keep in the plane at all times, and noticed the damn thing has two cooking temps, extra hot, and super hot, and it seems to me cooking over the fire is going to be prefered. The ribs and spuds sounds great. The MRE's will remain in the emergency ration pack. The stove will be used for boiling water for coffee.

Leaded fuel does work in the MSR stoves, but you'll wind up having to do more maintenance, and cleaning them a LOT more often.

I use white gas whenever I can with these stoves, and assume that the 100 LL option is there in an emergency.

MTV

This one is approved for 100LL, I suppose that's why they get $150 for it. Can also change the jet (they give you a little kit with different jets) and burn diesel, JetA, unleaded auto fuel, white gas, and damn near anything else. I haven't used it enough to find out if 100LL builds residue. As I mentioned before, it is noisy and only runs real hot. Definitely not a cook stove for simmering something on. They do give a process for cleaning it occasionally if the jet plugs up. I wanted something that in a pinch, I would always have fuel for it right in my tanks, without having to carry white gas. It weighs 12 oz and packs up real small. One of those stoves they take to the top of Everest. In hindsight, I probably would have just bought another Coleman Peak 1 for $40 and hauled the white gas. You can actually do some cooking on those, other than just boiling water in 23.5 seconds. I could find no other stove that was able to burn 100LL.

Superchamp, I've got an MSR Expedition too, for similar reasons. And eeyup, on the simmering performance There is an accessory flame diffusor which helps some. I've only run white gas in mine, and have NEVER had to clean it since 2001: The shaker thingy seems to really work. If I can find a good used Coleman 1 burner at a garage sale, I'll have a really "hot" two-burner setup.

By the way, does anyone have a good recipe for boiled water? I seem to have lost the one I wrote down from my Mom when I went away to college. :roll:

I suppose for another $75 or so, I will have to get the flame diffuser. I'm in to far to get away from it now. I rigged up a piece of stove pipe and flex tube to go over the thing, to pre-heat my plane in the winter when away from home base. I think it throws enough heat to melt the engine block. I will carry some brazing rod too- I think I could use the thing to weld field repairs if needed it runs so hot.

My favorite MSR stove for general camping is the Dragonfly. It has a second fuel valve that makes it infinitely variable down a very small flame.

http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/dragonfly.asp

I also have a scorch plate that sits on the burner for spreading out the heat. I use it for cooking pancakes or scrambled eggs. If you don't use a scorch plate they will be burned in the middle and raw on the outer edges of the pan.

Also, never use 100LL if you can help it. One or two tanks full will plug up the works.

Crash

Where did you get the scorchplate -I can see the need for that. Supposedly the Expedition stove handles the 100LL, and the dragonfly doesn't, thats why I went with that one-we will see. Also, keep the recipes coming. And is there any little pot lid combo that this stove fits right into-sort of a cooking kit? Lighting-I can't seem to find the small single mantle coleman lanterns anywhere-and wonder if they are still made. The one in cabelas for $89 is a big model. Trying to keep the whole cook/camping kit as small as possible. I always have a boat, motor, tent, etc etc already in the plane, and don't have room for the kitchen sink also.

I would say Mountain House. Sure, they aint Mom's cookin', but its pretty good. They are easy to pack, are pretty light, dont take up too much room, and easy to prepare. Everyone has got their own thing. I've been on camping trips where it was nothing but pre-made home cooked meals and it was good. I've also lived off of nothing but Mountain House on other trips, and the experience was just as enjoyable. Also doing a bit off both isn't a bad idea, mixing it up makes things more interesting.

Not yet. I suffered a severe setback at the hands of Kevin from Ely Lake. PM me if you want the details.

superchamp said:
Where did you get the scorchplate -I can see the need for that.

REI.... this is what it looks like. It's stainless .040 with ribs so it dosn't warp. Also shown is the MSR base plate for the Dragonfly that spreads the foot print out. This is handy for cooking on tundra or soft surfaces like beach's. It also keeps the legs locked in a triangle so they don't fold up and dump a pot.

I have tried a pile of different stoves over the last 30 years. Now I just take my MSR Dragonfly. In the past it seemed every time I tried one of my other stoves I spent the entire trip trying to get it to put out some heat or just light. The Dragonfly just works!

Take care.

Crash

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

Thanks crash - I got it ordered. Looks like the ticket for dispersing the heat. Paul - I PM'd you. Russ

Back