• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Floats on a pickup

bob turner

I just moved a pair of Edos from Minnesota to Seattle. You all helped with suggestions, but I wound up with my own system. It did well, putting not even a blemish on the floats, with speeds up to eighty and sometimes wind and rain of unbelievable ferocity.

I promise to post photos and details - but I got so excited about the float business that I decided to build up the spare J-3 and find some smaller Edos or something similar for it. So first a question: Can a C-85 actually fly with amphibs? Are there ways to do it as an experimental, and use kit floats?

Photos next post. I promise.

First photo - someplace in Montana:

Banana_1.jpg

Very nice Bob.

Oh, the floats & truck look good too.

I think it is Forsyth - I'll check the gas receipt. Here is a photo of the vee-shaped mount. The angle of the vee is approximately 20 degrees from horizontal. The rear vee must be under the bulkhead right in front of the step, and those notches are necessary to clear the "strakes" (somebody correct my nautical terminology). The keel is the important part - it rests solidly on the 2x12, and the chines contact the wood vee. Another set of vees is forward four feet, to catch another bulkhead area - but all that set does is make sure the floats ride pointing straight ahead. I was going to use foam and rugs and stuff, but once the floats were securely strapped on, there was no movement at all, and not even the paint got scuffed.

banana_v1.jpg

Those ratcheting straps are the real secret.

Looks just right, Bob... if ya came across 2, you drove right past my front door! (well..ok...I'm 2 1/2 miles off the hiway, but you know what I mean.) I'm about 25 miles West of Kalispell.
JH

Came mostly I 94 and I 90, but I have a very soft spot for Kalispell, and love that grass runway. Say Hi to Bernie Gregoire for me.

Back