• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J-3 fuselage rebuilders

thaefeli

FRIEND
Who would be the best for rebuilding my J-3 fuselage. In or close to Colorado would be best. Will probably need a jig as it is in pretty sad shape.

Keep in mind that Univair sells new ones for around 10k. People that have had there fuselage repaired due to substantial damage or corrosion seem to regret it in the end as the difference in price for a new one (remember to double what you think the repair is going to cost) is far outweighed by the delay and the fact that you end up with a repaired 50 year old fuselage vs. new. Also consider difference in resale value. Personally, I would think the value would increase with a new fuselage. However, I'm sure some J3 purists may devalue it for not being original. Also keep in mind that jigs can vary significantly in accuracy. Univair's PA18 fuselages have historically measured well and if my memory is accurate, are compatible with Mark's Thrustline Mod. Search this site as I remember other posts verifying the accuracy of Mackey's jig and craftsmanship.

Fuselage Repair

Consider the new fuselage. New is nice! It has never been bent. It has never been unstraight. It is as light as it will ever be. A friend has completed straightening a PA18 fuselage. Many sleeves. More weight. Seven thousand dollars. His response was for $10,000 I could have had a new one.

I would blast it and see what you have before making a decision on new. Wayne's jig is dead on and Warren's have one in TX.

Back