• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float prime paint?

ksecub

Portland, OR
I am rebuilding my floats and putting new bottom skins on them. I have stripped all the paint off inside and out and want to prime the insides. I was thinking I would use PPG DP70 epoxy primer on the inside and DP70 with a polyurethane top coat on the outside. The floats are anfibs and will not sit in the water for extended periods of time. I am looking for paint suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

funny no one has answered you, Doug.

Any 2-part epoxy primer will do well. The 'zinc-rich' DP series would be my first choice(not the white, it has less zinc).

2nd choice would be Axxon or Crown-Metro, also known as "Boeing primer" around here. These second two choices are "amine-blush" type epoxy's and require one to scuff them before applying the topcoats.

Some one else out there must have an opinion, too???

DAVE

PS.......amphibious floats are called amphib's.

I gues it allright if country cousins call them anphib's.

Surface preperation?

After using a striper to remove the paint, what would you use to remove or neturalize the striper that is down in and around the rivet heads?
Something that might (will???) come back to haunt you after doing that nice paint job.

Thanks!

Thanks Dave for the response. I will stick with the DP70 epoxy primer.

I used water soluble stripper, water is suppose to neutralize the stripper, at least I hope so. I will acid etch and alodine before appllying the primer.

We use water soluble stripper but it seems to leave a waxy film after being rinced. We wipe with paint cleaning solvent or MEK to get rid of it. Etch will probably do the same thing.

Dave Calkins said:
PS.......amphibious floats are called amphib's. ..............

Until you (try to) land on the water with the gear down, at which time they are called damphibs!

Back