• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

old 180

m wittler

Agar South Dakota
I'm looking at a 1955 c-180 been sitting for 20+ years, it is relatively low time, in comparioson, to other 180's. 3800tt,1100smoh. all the logs and NDH, I would like a project, to polish out and try to keep light, bare bones interior, and avionics.. It is located in Utah and posted on TAP for 45k.

I know that I'm not the only one lookin for one like this, but before I go look, I would love to here, what the knowledgible people on this forum have to think, Maybe it will still be there next week!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance Matt

Matt, I'm looking also but didn't see that one yet. Check the thread, "my other plane" there have been several comments to the questions I have asked on the 180.
Keith

PS. If it isn't sold yet I would be very surprised.

The trouble with tis one, is it has been for sale for a while, and he has had quite a few people look at it.. That is why I posted here on this site obviousley something wrong, or it will just take to much capitol to get it going again, I wish I knew more, I only know enough to be dangerous!!!!

Thanks Keith I will check old threads. Matt

My friend recently purchased a 1976 , 172 that had been left out side for ten years. It looked in good shape until he started taking things apart. Lot a work later and much more cash than he hoped it is about ready to fly any day soon. Look deep!
Ron

That sounds like an intriguing a/c at that price. I'd love to do it, but will it pencil out to what one can purchase a servicable a/c for.

I'd consider what sitting for 20+ years means to that 1100 hour motor and prop. If you add the 30K or so dollars it might cost to get a fresh engine in it, and another 5K for a fresher prop it equals 80 grand and we have yet to total up dollars for fuel bladders, instruments, tires, corrosion potential, etc, etc, etc,.

I'd suggest that you know everything about the airframe before deciding to start throwing money at it.

It may pencil out, it may not.

Still, good luck and enjoy. If I were close to Utah, I'd go take a look. If I didn't know what I know, I'd take a good 180/185 mechanic. DAVE

Early model 180's are in high demand from certain people that know airplanes. Probably safe to say, not as "in demand" as a Cub....but similar.

From the brief discription you gave, my own opinion, and taking into account Dave Calkin's comments...>you should go look at it with a check in your pocket, AND an open mind.
Keep an open mind and be realistict about how much time & money you'll have into it making airworthy.

Couple of questions I'd ask myself:

1) Do I want a C-180 to fly, or a project?
2) Do I have the skills to rebuild this plane?
3) Do I really have the money to put $40-50k into this plane, what will it be worth when I'm done.
4) Plan to keep it forever, it maybe sell it someday. Most folks ALWAYS think they'll buy a plane and keep it forever, however circumstanses change through life and planes get sold
5) Am I interested in this plane PRIMARILY because of the "low" sticker price.

By the way, I've been keeping an eye on the market for an early 180 also, seems to be some good looking planes-well equiped- for around $80-90k.

Nothing is life is free, and there is no such thing as a "good deal" in the airplane buisness. True, you can find a fair deal....which to me means a reasonable price agreed upon from both seller & buyer. However buying airplanes ain't like a garage (garbage) sale. Probably a good reason why it has such a low sticker price, same reason its advertised nationaly. Any posible "bargin" plane that I've ever seen, or bought, was done locally way before it was ever advertised,....> espesially nationally.

Back