• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

First Plane...

ATCT

Big T Airpark - Senoia, GA
Hey All,
Just starting research into buying my first plane. (not sure if Im gonna go project or just something "cheaper" just for fun to fly around). Im a controller in the Houston area, grew up back in PA. Ive been looking into Piper Colts (seem to be decently priced, compared to equal 150's etc.) I dont know much about the Colt itself other than the basics. Any problems with AD's or outstanding lemon characteristics? Personally id love a beat up J3 as a flying project, but they are gettin more and more expensive as the days go by. Any advice? Thanks a bunch.

Clint
PPL, Workin on IFR
Houston, TX

I like Pacers better than Colts, and you can still get J-3's for a reasonable price if you look around. I recommend at least an 85 on a J-3, and the metal props are far more efficient.
JimC

Hey Clint

Houston has some of the BEST ATC in the country. Always a pleasure to fly through there. You guys do great work.

Thanks

Bill

Clint

I'm not trying to steer you away from a J-3, but if you're interested, try www.shortwing.org I understand they have a very active group - Not as good as this one, but maybe interesting none the less.

Jack

Colts are good inexpensive airplanes. Same pitfalls of any old rag and tube airplane but at least they were built in the late 50s early 60s. ADs are the struts like all rag wing Pipers. Nothing else really stands out off the top of my head. O-235-C1 emgine is a good engine with a 2400 hr TBO and burns about 6.3 gph. I have been messing with Short Wings for a long time. If you run across one you get serious about pm me and I will see if I can help with specific questions. You might consider joining the Short Wing Piper Club also. www.shortwing.org Their web forum is for members only but there is some good stuff on their site for a non-member. They also sell a pair of CDs with all of the factory drawings pertaining to the airplanes and they have 3 volumes of tips and tricks to help you keep them in the air. There are several Short wings in the Houston area. I would check some of the local GA airports. I can give you a few names.

Bill Rusk said:
Houston has some of the BEST ATC in the country. Always a pleasure to fly through there. You guys do great work.

That's right Bill. But you better be careful flying GA into Hobby. Those nuts in those orange 73's will run over you!

Hi Clint. Come on down and try a J3 or PA11. We are just south of you by Old Ocean Texas. O8XS. Call and make sure we are going to be around and come down and do some flying. Also show you some of the fun strips around here.

Clint-

Pretty much what Steve Pierce said.

You don't have to join SWPC to join their forum. You do have to register on the forum, even if you just want to lurk. That's free, though.

I've owned a Colt for about three years. They are simple basic airplanes, pretty good value for the money.

I bought mine with the idea that I would convert it to conventional gear. It had been completely restored by the previous owner, and, after flying it for awhile, I decided it didn't make sense to start taking a brand new airframe apart just to put it back together.

Yesterday, I resealed the nose strut for the fifth time in a little less than three years. I really should make a taildragger out of it, or sell it and buy a TD!

Mark

Clint,

Do you know Jerry Gardner? I was in a class with him at the Academy a couple of years ago. I want to say he is in the tracon or approach. Seemed like a real nice guy. I work a remote FSS on the northwest coast of Alaska. My avatar is my 1956 Super Cub on floats. Go for a Super Cub, you won't ever regret it.

Torch/Don

Hey Clint-

Did not realize that was you! Glad you got a job already!

You might want to look into a vagabond for just local type flights. They are not a rough field airplane but they are reasonably priced and inexpensive to operate. I guess it depends on how much weight you are going to carry around...

Tim

Hey,
Thanks for all the help so far.

Regarding the Academy guy, dont seem to know him. I dont know many people down in the TRACON yet.

John, Yea it was great to get back in town for a few. Sorry I couldnt make the christmas party that night. We had just too many errands to run that night.

I've casually glanced around controller, ASO, trade-a-plane etc., looking into Colts, Tri-Pacers, n such. I havent seen too many Vagabonds or Cruisers around. (other than one J5 thats been for sale for what seems like ages back in PA, and a little outside my price range). Lookin over the Supercubs.org classifieds, theres a guy in there with a project Super Cub. Im not an a&p so Ive never really looked into it in detail as I dont have a hangar/tools etc. Is this usually a cheaper option vs. buying an ok condition airworthy bird?

Anywho I'll keep searchin. Again, thanks for all the advice!

Clint

What about the Pacer in the want ads? There is a lot to be said for a electrical system and radio.

howdy clint,there a pacer on my field in ashland,oregon it has a 180hp on it and climbs like a bat out of hell if your interested let me no .marc

Back