• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Twin Champ? - Interesting.....Very Interesting

Grant

FRIEND
At Work.....
There were 26 of these aircraft produced; all in 1963. This one is Serial #9. The Lancer was produced to provide inexpensive multiengine instruction; however Piper came out with the Apache at about the same time and the Apache could be used for Charter Service as well as multiengine instruction while the Lancer was two place and was equipped with fixed props.

lg_1158425552_402Lancer1.jpg

lg_1158425556_402Lancer2.jpg

lg_1158425559_402Lancer3.jpg

I found this aircraft while surfing. Thought it worth talking about, Not a cub but.....interesting, very interesting.

Any comments? Has anyone ever flown or seen this aircraft? Seems to be pretty rare

Wgilbirds here on the site was always wanting to get one of these years ago, there were a couple for sale. He found out I think that even with two engines it was underpowered...

sj

It is a strange bird. I wonder if it was a stick or a yoke... Oh okay I get it. It's a tandem seat twin. This begs the next question. Is it the only tandem twin?

I never knew!

I like the looks.

Steve, "...He found out I think that even with two engines it was underpowered..." THAT is funny.

I've always wanted one myself - for awhile anyways. The one pictured above is for sale on Barnstormers.

If I remember correctly, they have a control wheel/yoke mounted on a stick.

Grant said:
There were 26 of these aircraft produced; all in 1963. This one is Serial #9. The Lancer was produced to provide inexpensive multiengine instruction; however Piper came out with the Apache at about the same time and the Apache could be used for Charter Service as well as multiengine instruction while the Lancer was two place and was equipped with fixed props.

I found this aircraft while surfing. Thought it worth talking about, Not a cub but.....interesting, very interesting.

Any comments? Has anyone ever flown or seen this aircraft? Seems to be pretty rare
Grant,
There are a few very serious Lancer interested folks on John Rodkey's champ list (http://aeronca.westmont.edu/). Nancie

You've no doubt heard the old adage about light twins that says "all the other engine is good for is to get you to the scene of the accident"?
Well, they say that on the Lancer, if you lose an engine, the other one won't even get you to the scene of the accident!
:onfire:

There's a fellow in the DFW area who is building one from the remains of two wrecks, and plans to put O-290-D2's on it. Might make it a little better, but it will still have fixed-pitch props.

There are a few very serious Lancer interested folks on John Rodkey's champ list (http://aeronca.westmont.edu/). Nancie

I wasn't trying to sell this because I read the post recently about selling stuff in the forums. I only thought it was a cool/interesting airplane. If some folks want to buy one they can find it without me posting a link to the site where it is for sale. and thanks for the link by the way I do intend to look at it but I am not promoting the one that is for sale.

Sorry Steve....didn't want it to turn in to a "for sale" sign

OK, guys, here is the scoop. First the good news:

1.) It has tandem seats.
2.) It is the slowest twin ever made. (I think)
3.) The engines are O-200 Continentals, so overhauls are about as cheap as you can get.
4.) The gear is fixed, so low gear maintaintence costs.
5.) It would be a ramp magnet. Everyone would want to see it.

Now the bad news:

1.) It has a yoke.
2.) Worse than that, the props are fixed and not capable of feathering, so guess what, if you lose one engine, you are going to land SOON.
3.) It is the slowest twin ever made. (I think)
4.) I'm not sure if it is IFR capable, but many of the Champion 7 series aircraft were not certificated for IFR.
5.) If you don't already have a twin rating, it is going to be extremely difficult to find a designated examiner that can give a checkride in this airframe.

Airplanes on the internet are like women on the internet....very fun to look at, but you probably don't want to live with them!

Bill G.

Bill, that was a great synopsis. I remember when you were looking at them quite closely - must have been 7 or 8 years ago. Is that the same one that was for sale then?

sj

I think Bill's plan was to get his ATP in it, but then he decided it would be better to get it in his Citabria since that would be one of a kind.

sj

That's my plan. A VFR only single engine ATP in my Citabria. Should be a really short checkride!

For those that are not aware, if the airplane that you take your ATP checkride in is not IFR certifiable on the type certificate, then your ATP license becomes VFR only. This provision was made for some old airframes.

Bill G.

Bill G. said:
OK, guys, here is the scoop. First the good news:

1.) It has tandem seats.
2.) It is the slowest twin ever made. (I think)
3.) The engines are O-200 Continentals, so overhauls are about as cheap as you can get.
4.) The gear is fixed, so low gear maintaintence costs.
5.) It would be a ramp magnet. Everyone would want to see it.

Now the bad news:

1.) It has a yoke.
2.) Worse than that, the props are fixed and not capable of feathering, so guess what, if you lose one engine, you are going to land SOON.
3.) It is the slowest twin ever made. (I think)
4.) I'm not sure if it is IFR capable, but many of the Champion 7 series aircraft were not certificated for IFR.
5.) If you don't already have a twin rating, it is going to be extremely difficult to find a designated examiner that can give a checkride in this airframe.

Airplanes on the internet are like women on the internet....very fun to look at, but you probably don't want to live with them! Bill G.

The Champion Lancer was produced as Model 402 under a separate Type Certificate -A3CE beginning March 1963. Interestingly, unlike most of the early 7 series craft champs/chieves (excepting the L-16A,B models), the Model 402 Lancer acutally was issued a Flight Manual. The October 2003 (13-4) issue of Bellanca-Champion Club Contact also had an article+photos on it (http://www.bellanca-championclub.com/) as did an much earlir P. Pilot issue. Here's an interesting photo of one at: http://1000aircraftphotos.com/GeneralAv/ChampionLancer.htm and some other bits describing the plane (from same author) at http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...tml+model+402+lancer&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=9

The TCDS is here: http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/bead91c1f5a947968525672e00466554/$FILE/A3ce.PDF

There was one on the ramp at LRU (Las Cruces,NM) for a long time, haven't seen it lately, maybe Ruidoso Ron Has it stashed next to his Cub.
Patrick

I saw one many years ago and wondered then how the wood spars
could take the weight and vibration.With the spar AD's nowadays the guy flying those planes has got two bowling balls he's sitting on! :eek:

Hey ,I'm very glad to hear the Lancer had metal spars . I never could see how it would have worked with wood ones .They must not have had any wing failures .........which is a good thing. :D

Back