• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Heard Jeff Cooper is dead.

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
Anyone hear the same,,, I only found a couple mentions on the internet...

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

xx

As printed in the local newspaper "The Daily Courier"
http://www.prescottdailycourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=41279

Cooper, firearms expert, dead at 86.

Instrumental in firearms training to thousands
World-renowned firearms expert Jeff Cooper, founder of the Gunsite firearms training center in Paulden, died Monday afternoon at his home near the training center.

Cooper, 86, had been battling several health problems in recent years.

The family plans a private burial ceremony and will announce a memorial ceremony at the National Rifle Association Whittington Center in New Mexico in the near future.

Cooper had been a member of the NRA Board of Directors.

Born on May 20, 1920, in Los Angeles, as John Dean Cooper, Cooper who always went by "Jeff," earned a master's degree in history and taught history.

He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II as well as in Southeast Asia and Korea.

In the 1960s, he organized a group called the Bear Valley Gunslingers and the Southwest Combat League. During the organizations' shooting competitions at Big Bear, he formulated the Modern Technique of combat handgun shooting which incorporates a large-caliber semi-automatic pistol, a two handed Weaver stance, breath control and a surprise trigger break.

In 1976, he founded the American Pistol Institute, or Gunsite, at Paulden to teach those pistol techniques and later added a full curriculum on pistols, rifles and shotguns.

Since then, more than 18,000 students, including celebrities like Tom Selleck, law enforcement officers, military members from many nations and many civilians have graduated from courses there.

Cooper sold the operation in 1992 and dissociated himself from the new owners but continued to live on the land in a home he called The Sconce. He became involved with the center again in 1999 when it changed ownership.

He was a frequent sight on the grounds clad in green military fatigues and riding around the sprawling property on a three-wheeled all-terrain vehicle.

Known in firearms circles as "The Gunner's Guru," Cooper taught about firearms in Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Costa Rica, the Philippines, Germany, Belgium, Sweden, South Africa and Rhodesia. Many have called him the world's foremost expert on small arms (rifles, pistols and shotguns).

He was editor at large of Guns & Ammo Magazine and a prolific writer on firearms.

His books include "The Art of the Rifle," "Another Country," Sports Car Annual," "Fireworks," "To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth," "C Stories" and "Gunsite Gossip," Volumes I and II as well as the many articles he wrote for Guns & Ammo Magazine.

He also produced "Cooper's Commentaries," a series of monthly essays on the Internet.

In his writings, Cooper coined the term "hoplophobia" to denote the irrational fear of weapons.

He hunted big game all over the world and especially loved Africa. He also was an avid sports car enthusiast.

Cooper received the American Handgunner Award in 1995 and the St. Gabriel Possenti Award. St. Gabriel is the patron saint of shooters.

Surviving are his widow, Janelle Cooper; three daughters, Christy, Mrs. Chick Hastings of Prescott, Parry, Mrs. Bruce Health of Denver, Colo., and Lindy, Mrs. Joe Wisdom of Tempe, as well as five grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

A gentleman of the "old school", he was a man among men. The world is a lesser place without him.

Jon B.

Jeff Cooper, A True Legend.

"To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth", What more needs to be said. Gun lovers, like airplane lovers are closely related fraternity, and have the greatest respect for experts in their respective fields. Jeff Cooper will be missed as a Firearms expert, and writer. Champdriver

I'm glad that I got him to autograph a couple of my books years ago...
We are loosing these types of folks at an alarming rate...

Alex Clark said:
I'm glad that I got him to autograph a couple of my books years ago...
We are loosing these types of folks at an alarming rate...

Actually I think there are just as many around, the problem is that the other types breed faster.

With Jeff's passing we have also lost a friend in aviation. Jeff has a 1800' dirt strip that he maintained at his Gunsight Ranch. Jeff loved it when friend or students flew in to the ranch and always came to admire the aircraft. He liked cub's and any plane with a round engine.

Jerry Jacques

Jeff Cooper
May 10, 1920 - September 25, 2006

For those of you interested:

A public memorial service will be held on May 10, 2007 at the NRA Whittington Center, Raton, NM, because of the number of people expected. The service will begin about 1:30 on that date in the "Coors Range Building".

Tom

DVC
Semper Fi

Back