• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA15/17 VAGABOND

GYPSY

WYOMING
Any opinions on the PA15/17 Vagabound for use as a sight seeing plane and general fun for 2 adults? Economical, low and slow is all that is in mind with an occasional couple hundred mile trip. I just found out one is for sale in my area but presently know nothing about it.

Pretty cool rigs. Not so exciting with a 65, pretty dang impressive with a C90. Cuter than a speckled pup under a red wagon. I knew of a guy in Oregon with a 65 Lyc powered Vagabond that flew it to Barrow AK several times. He must have liked his. :D

A friend has a PA15. He just upgraded from the Lyc. 65 to a C 85. It was a dog before, now it's a real performer. We are at sea level and it had a tough time getting 2 adults off the 2700 foot grass strip with the 65. He loved it then, now he loves it more.

Rich

PA15/17

The minimalist (?) aircraft. I like mine because it's inexpensive to feed and my kids feel a little more secure ( who knows why) sitting next to the guy flying rather than in front of him. Plus it's full of Cub parts so we can keep them flying. Loved my Pacer, however it soon became apparent that my wife didn't like flying in anything other than a jet, so the Vag was it.
I would have a Super Cub but I can't afford it on pilot pay.

My Dad has a Vag with the 65 Cont. It is a blast. Faster than a Clipped wing Cub but flies a lot like it. I think the 65 Cont works great. My brother and I flew it alot in TX before we delivered it to Mph. It is LSA legal too.

A local guy here has a -15 with a Lycoming 65. I've ridden in it acouple of times. Even with a couple of guys bigger than the FAA 'average', it flies just fine.

Be aware though, that the -15 has only the tires for 'suspension; no bungees or anything else (if stock). The -17 has real suspension in the gear. The -15 is not a good match for rough strips.

Jon B.

Briefly talked to the seller by phone. It is a project with no engine or mount. Two years ago,in Alaska, the plane went down between two trees and tore the wings off. This guy bought it and has since transferred to Wyoming. He tells me he has the wing parts to rebuild it but it will need struts, engine and mount. He said it was powered by an C85 that the previous owner kept. It has been converted to a 17 with bungees and dual controls and has "bush wheels". The fuselage was recovered a year before the crash (3 years old now) and has two repairable tears. He claims to have all paper work back to day one. He is asking $3,500 OBO. Any initial reactions???? I have not seen it.

PA15/17

I second that opinion to just buy a good one unless you want a project.
There was just one in the Short Wing Piper Club website with a C-85, two doors, that needed cover soon. $11,500. I think it was still in annual, just had old cotton on it. If you want a project, buy one that is intact.

Back