• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J5 Shock Struts

rrb

FRIEND
Another J5 question -- my next project when I decide to give up a weekend of flying is going to be to replace my shock cords, blast and repaint my shock struts and I imagine replacing the rubber/leather pads inside them. If I run across any cracking, does anyone know of a source for new shock struts for the J5 or anything that will fit and could be field approved (J3, etc)?

rrb said:
If I run across any cracking, does anyone know of a source for new shock struts for the J5 or anything that will fit and could be field approved (J3, etc)?

Call atlee and get the PA-12 shock struts for standard length -18 gear.

I think they are $120 each.

I would just call them J-5 shock struts and not worry about the field approval.

Tim

I don't have the drawings in front of me right now -- do you know if i went that route whether I would need to replace anything else?

J5 shock struts

I seen the post about using PA12 shock struts for J5 application. The J5 is different for the PA12. Univair has cords but no tool for putting them on, I bought a tool from Wag Aero for my J5, about $200 bucks. Don't know how it will work yet, givem your email and I'll let you know.

Jeffpa12

Re: J5 shock struts

jeffpa12 said:
The J5 is different for the PA12.

Jeffpa12

Correct...... But when you put the PA-18 gear style on you need to use shock struts. Atlee makes the PA-12 shock struts for the PA-18 gear, which are the same as a J-5A (shock struts) gear setup.

Tim

The Atlee shocks for the 12 with 18 gear use hydasorbs, so you will need hydasorbs for your 5 along with the Atlee shock lowers.

SuperCub MD said:
The Atlee shocks for the 12 with 18 gear use hydasorbs, so you will need hydasorbs for your 5 along with the Atlee shock lowers.

Thanks Mark-

When I talked to Steve he did not say anything about hydrosorbs. I guess I will have to find a set of hydrosorbs now and make up a yet another 337...grrr.

Tim

Back