• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My J5

rrb

FRIEND
Tomorrow night I set out to pick up my J-5 and bring her back from NJ to Memphis. I've got the week off to accomplish my task.

Anything special I should know about a trip across NJ and PA, and down through OH and KY until I get back to TN? Current plan, weather permitting, is to get some training in her at Andover and then head back. First day would like to make it to Sporty's and back home on the second.

Congrats!
It will be a great trip. Nothing better than cruising around low and slow in the springtime when the colors are great!

Tim

Christina Young said:
Supposed to be high winds up here on Saturday, Sunday is looking better...

Excellent! Nothing better .
Leave the radio off when ever possible.
uj

Congratulations. You will enjoy the J-5. I flew one today and will continue to fly it until my SC rebuild is done. It's a grat airplane.

-Bob

J-5

You are going to love your "wide-body". After flying 45 years of everything from cubs to fighters to 747s, I am back in my J-5, which flies as nicely as any of them.

Don,t know what part of PA your cutting across, so watch out for area P-40 it grows bigger than what is shown on the charts when it is being used by so called VIPS. Which is about every weekend. I would strongly recomend that you get a full pilots briefing and file when flying within 150NM of washington DC . We have way too many roveing TFRs around here not to. :bad-words: Wish you tailwinds, have a safe trip, stay above 3,000' agl to cover your hindparts.

I got to fly a J5 today also. 135 hp, no electric with a Borer prop. Really gets up and gos. Always amazes me how good the ailerons work on J5s and PA12s after flying 18s and 11s.

click to enlarge

Still sitting in NJ. The winds were howling over the weekend. About 25 mph directly across the runway. Looking like we'll get some flying in this afternoon and evaluate where we stand.

Kase -- 135hp it must have been rocketship. I've got 75hp and climbs, at least with 2 people at full fuel, take a bit of time. She flies nice though and it sure is fun and comfortable.

Which seat do you all prefer to solo from? Although the back seems more comfortable, with the widebody you seem to lose a lot more visibility than in a J3.

Good BBQ in Owensboro at the Moonlight. Millian Air used to give you a car to go, assume they still do. Won't compare to Corky's or the Rendevous, but its still alright.

Just arrived back in Memphis with NC35620. Great two days of flying back. I'll post some details when I'm not quite so fried. It sure was fun to cross half the country at 80 mph.

I got a hangar across the river at AWM -- about a 10 minute drive for me. Hopefully some of my pics came out clear enough and I'll post them. Not real sure -- my camera isn't the greatest. I did get a great polaroid from an old timer who told a story about his first cross country being in a J5 -- before he had a dual cross country, he was also kind enough to donate a quart of oil to my trip. Met some awfully great people along the way.

I heard they have really cleaned up the West Memphis airport. I'll have to stop in there on my way to Memphis next trip. Congrads and welcome to the world of small airplane ownership. The trip in these old birds is most of the fun.

Ryan, when ya coming down to visit your uncle and let us check out your new ride ?? It's great to finally own your own, you've been waiting a long time. Congratulations Dave

Thanks Dave. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can bring her down to PIE. Of course it might be easier if we made a PA-12 / J-5 flyin somewhere between PIE and AWM.

Heres a J5 in barnstormers if anybody needs one. Its the same one I flew last week.

PIPER J-5 • $38,000 • FLY RIGHT NOW • Super 135HP Piper J-5 with 480 SMOH and 4875 TT. Highly modified with Lycoming 0-290D2, Bendix mags, aux fuel mod, auto fuel STC, seaplane door, extended baggage, turtle deck baggage, full greenhouse, Cleveland brakes, Scott tailwheel, Stitts finish, PA-18 tailfeathers, Micro VG vortex generators. Fly at 36 knots. Land and take off in 500 feet. Super Cub performance at half the price. Excellent logs. • Contact Larry Mayer - EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION CHAPTER 57 INC. located Billings, MT USA • Telephone: 406-652-4121 • Posted June 19, 2006 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Send a Message

a109867p245886226reg.jpg

a109867p533681556reg.jpg

a109867p714293928reg.jpg

Kase,
I saw that posted last night and wondered if that was the one you flew...My J5 is set up very similar to that one, only I have a 100hp up front...I would think that that plane could perform better than 500...? Mine will do that... Anyway...that is a real nice looking plane... would be better if it were orange...

Also going back to SD over the 4th...First Rapid City....then Watertown....
Haven't seen Art in a since the Valdez Fly-In...He was there as well as Artic in a little 11...

Ron

Congrats rrb on the plane...hope you like your as well as I like mine....it's a fun plane...

It probably does do better than 500' but were at 3700 msl and up. I know it will out run and out climb a 150 Super Cub but wont land and take off as short. Paperwork says empty weight 1020 with no elec. I was in Rapid City for a weekend last month. Really nice area.

J5Ron said:

"Also going back to SD over the 4th...First Rapid City....then Watertown....
Haven't seen Art in a since the Valdez Fly-In...He was there as well as Artic in a little 11..."

Ron: Watertown, SD is just a bit west of several members here in Minnesota. How are you travelling? If by Cub, you're probably an hour away from tptailwheel, lurker12 and me. Several others are in the twin cities and others "up north". Cubdriver (Dave T.) is not too far south. Sodak, in spite of his 'handle' lives in Minnesota. I think his heart must still be in SD or something. This group has members *everywhere*.

Maybe you'd have some time for a brief supercub.org get-together? How long will you be in the area?

Jon B.

Jon B.
I will be planeless in SD....I will be in Watertown July 6th -12th...then back to Rapid City....

Ron

Back