• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub Ferry North Central OK to Northern VA/Stops Advice

U

USCG Phil Perry

New to SuperCub.org and looking for advice on good stops (overnight/refuel) during ferry flight. Picking up my "new", completely re-built 1951 PA-18-160 at Ponca City, OK (KPNC) this week. A dream come true. Beautiful Super Cub to say the least. Plan to head back solo to my home airport, KEZF/Shannon; Fredericksburg, VA beginning this Thur (4 May 06). I got my taildragger endorsement in this plane, and only have about 25 hrs total time in a taildragger (all in this taildragger), so this should be interesting...and fun of course.

My "as a crow flies route" from KPNC to KEZF takes me from North Central OK, thru South Central Missouri, thru Southern IL, thru Northern KY, thru Central WV, and then finally into Northern VA. Looking for good stops anywhere within reasonable distance of this route. I don't mind taking my time, so a zig zag course to get into some nice fields w/ fuel (low taildragger time, so not looking for short or otherwise challenging runways this go around!). Prefer grass but not necessary. Minus a bunch of feedback on this in the short amount time this trip takes place (just nailed everything down yesterday), is there an easy way to find grass strips along any specified course w/o looking up every airport in the vicinity along the route?

For any personal replies, can use my home e-mail: philperry1@verizon.net

Regards,

Phil Perry, Commander, U.S. Coast Guard

Phil:

Congratulations, and have fun on your trip. Take your Garmin handheld and you'll have no navigation troubles. You can do it in one long day or two short days, no problem.

I made a quick check of your route on AOPA's flight planning software, and it looks like you'll be passing close the the Rainelle VOR (RNL). Within a few miles of the VOR is a grass strip with a restaurant that's only open on weekends. It was featured in AOPA Pilot a few years back. An old timer by the name of Squire is the unofficial tower on weekends. The food is good, and so are the guests.

You'll also be passing close to the Greenbriar, and even closer to the Homestead (Ingalls, KHSP). Two pretty toney resorts. The Homestead is a great place to take the Fun Police if she's travelling with you, but I've found the Greenbriar to be a bit stiff for my tastes.

Be cautious crossing the Blue Ridge Mountains. At times the weather stacks up behind them, and it can be hard to get across (unless the tops are below 12,000'). I've been trapped by weather along the Blue Ridge several times. This time of year the jet stream is likely to be far enough north that it won't cause you great concern, but if it dips south over your route where you cross the mountains you may encounter some strong turbulence and mountain waves. Don't fly too low, because you won't be able to outclimb the waves when they're pushing you down (a few years back a twin leaving Roanoak, VA westbound was driven into the ground by a wave).

Have a great time with your new Cub.

I've stopped at KMRC, Mt Pleasant, KY. They have a N/S grass strip.
I stayed overnight and used the FBO's courtesy car. From there to VA Tech's airport and then to Northern VA. This route takes you through the mountains via I-40 which helps in the event the weather is not cooperative.

SUPER CUB HOME IN VA (PREVIOUSLY SUPERCUB FERRY OK TO VA)

I just want say thanks to those that offered advice, etc. regarding bringing my "new" 1951 PA18-160 from OK to home aiport in Fredericksburg, VA (flight conducted 5-6 May). It was definitely one the best experiences of my life! Incredible to say the least. I wrote a story of the trip which will be in the "Oklahoma Aviator" magazine in this July's issue. I will try to post some photos of this trip once I figure out how (kind of new to this site).

I plan to do my next big cross country to the Holstein 2006 Super Cub fly-in this July. I hope a lot of members of this group are going as well. I really look forward to it.

Phil Perry
Fredericksburg, VA (KEZF/Shannon)
(proud owner of) 1951 PA18-160

Back