• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Comment Period Ending: Missouri R. Breaks Airstrips

centmont

SPONSOR
9S7 -- Montana's Missouri Breaks
Comment Period About To End. Comments on the airstrips in the Missouri River Breaks need to be in by April 26. I have been interviewing pilots/ranchers/sportsmen/recreationists who have been flying into these airstrips for more than 40 years. The BLM built and maintained all of these until the mid 90's. Fires have been fought, cattle spotted, wild horses collected, and children conceived over the years on these strips. They have been part of our past here in the breaks; they are part of our present as aviators, and they need to continue to be part of the future as places someone can fly into and enjoy. They are not wilderness, they underly a MOA with F-15's and F-16's overhead (sound should not be an issue). Please write in support of the 6 airstrips proposed to remain open by the BLM plus Woodhawk (a strip the BLM is now willing to reconsider). Tell them you respect wild places and things and that this is your method to get to them. Remind the BLM that airplanes are a traditional use of the breaks and that use should be continued. The enemies of this idea are well mobilized...we need your comments.

Comments TO: BLM; P.O. Box 1160; Lewistown, MT.; 59457
email: monumentrmp@blm.gov

These are great places to fly, hunt, camp...hope to see you there in the future. If I can help in any way, please PM me. Ralph Rogers, Winifred, MT

Has everyone mailed or emailed their comments?

About a week and a half left and none of us wants to lose these strips. The greenies are sending canned emails by the thousands, but the BLM is looking for concise, practical reasons for keeping the airstrips open. Don't waste this oportunity even if you never plan on coming to visit our great state.

Ralph,

Thanks for your BLM histories and other info on the Missouri Breaks.
Would it be OK for me to use some of your posts on other pilot forums to generate some more letters in our favor regarding these endangered Airstrip Trailheads?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Krall CFII

centmont said:
Comment Period About To End. Comments on the airstrips in the Missouri River Breaks need to be in by April 26. I have been interviewing pilots/ranchers/sportsmen/recreationists who have been flying into these airstrips for more than 40 years. The BLM built and maintained all of these until the mid 90's. Fires have been fought, cattle spotted, wild horses collected, and children conceived over the years on these strips. They have been part of our past here in the breaks; they are part of our present as aviators, and they need to continue to be part of the future as places someone can fly into and enjoy. They are not wilderness, they underly a MOA with F-15's and F-16's overhead (sound should not be an issue). Please write in support of the 6 airstrips proposed to remain open by the BLM plus Woodhawk (a strip the BLM is now willing to reconsider). Tell them you respect wild places and things and that this is your method to get to them. Remind the BLM that airplanes are a traditional use of the breaks and that use should be continued. The enemies of this idea are well mobilized...we need your comments.

Comments TO: BLM; P.O. Box 1160; Lewistown, MT.; 59457
email: monumentrmp@blm.gov

These are great places to fly, hunt, camp...hope to see you there in the future. If I can help in any way, please PM me. Ralph Rogers, Winifred, MT

Dave: Please feel free to use any of the information. If you need more, we'll send it. Thanks for your help. Ralph

Yes, folks, PULLLEASE send a letter on this issue. This is great country. It is not being overrun by airplanes, and there is absolutely no good reason NOT to keep the strips AND the river open.

I hope to do a little camping up there my own self this summer.

So, help us out, and even if you've never been there, write a letter, and tell em you may join me this summer.

MTV

I have mentioned this before, but Winifred, MT. (just a few miles from the Breaks Monument border) is working on a new hangar...when finished, we will celebrate in the normal Winifred manner ( we usually have horses in the bars...not sure a cub will fit). There will be a breaks backcountry flyin associated with the opening and I will certainly post it on SC.org. Please write in support of the strips...please consider visiting and camping. Ralph Rogers, Winifred, MT

I wrote - as soon as this 12 is done I want to NOT be excluded from remote strips. (one wing is almost ready for cover - it's very slow, but coming along)

centmont said:
I have mentioned this before, but Winifred, MT. (just a few miles from the Breaks Monument border) is working on a new hangar...when finished, we will celebrate in the normal Winifred manner ( we usually have horses in the bars...not sure a cub will fit). There will be a breaks backcountry flyin associated with the opening and I will certainly post it on SC.org. Please write in support of the strips...please consider visiting and camping. Ralph Rogers, Winifred, MT

Sent a few letters by snail mail.

The memory disc at the BLM was "full" when I emailed them another letter last night (therefore undeliverable)

Back