• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 w/ PA-14 gear STC for 8.50X6 tires???

I don't think it exists as a STC. The Cleveland conversion STC covers up to 8.00x6, but they are noticably smaller than 8.50x6's. All the legal 8.50 installations I know of are done as field approvals. There is an advisory circular about approving larger wheels on cubs, and it shouldn't be a big deal to get the field approval. You can probably get a lot of copies of prior approvals 337s if your FSDO as for it.
Short of switching to bush wheels, go for the 8.50's rather than spend money on 8.00's.
Chris

There used to be an STC SA99AL owned by Stoddard for putting 8.50x6 on a PA-12 with original gear or PA-14 gear. I had it on my plane until my current rebuild project. It involved cutting off the brake flange and welding on PA-22 axles stubs (1.5") which made for a significantly strong axle which in older days was highly recomended for skiis. It specified wheels 451-769 and brakes 451-718 which all came in a kit. The brakes were single puck and pretty whimpy, but the STC allowed for putting 2 brakes on each wheel. I don't know if this STC is still available or who the owner might be, but you could look it up or maybe call Stoddards in Anchorage.

I am switching to 18 type gear. If anyone would like to purchase this set up, gear, wheels and brakes, I'd be happy to part with it.

Rod

I'd stick w/ the field approval using the Cleveland conversion kit. That way you have double puck brakes that will conform to the AK Bushwheel STC, which you will be purchasing at some time in your future.
Chris

Thanks, everyone--but Mikey, here's my question: are the 8.00's really that much different? 1/2" doesn't seem much.
Problem is--this is first annual as new owner, and the IA won't sign it off as is. So, I'm grounded.
If I buy the 8.00 tires, I can fly now, and work on threading through the FAA bureaucracy to get a field approval for the 8.50's. Once I have that, I'll put 'em back on, but at least I can get back in the air. I need my PA-12 an an antidote to airline flying 8)
Sound like a plan?

Two recommendations: 1) change IAs (how far are you from Finleyville, PA?), and 2) spring for the 8.00 by 6s to get you back in the air until you get the 8.50s or Bushwheels approved.

Steve Krog has copies of the 337s that were used to put 8.50s on my PA-12. If you accumulate a stack of similar 337s it may help you get your FSDO to approve your request with less fuss.

OK--
1) Where is Finleyville? Don't see it in the index for my Rand McNally...
2) Will get the 8.0's and find another IA
3) Will call Steve this AM
Thank you

Anybody have an approved 337 they can copy. I sent v1 ro t8 the advisory from the FAA. If he can get a copy of a 337 it shouldn't be a problem.

This mechanic may know a bit more about PA-12s and paperwork requirements for tires and wheels. We haven't met and I don't know his work, but he may be able to help: [Copied from a thread under the repair section]: "Contact Cubs Unlimted, Inc. We specialize in supercub, J3 and PA12 restorations and modifications. We are located in Finleyville PA. just south of Pittsburgh. Our cubs have won numerous awards at Lockhaven. We know and fly CUBS. cubsunlimited@verizon.net or 724/348/7077" I
think his first name is John, and his Supercub.org user name is "cubsunltd"

An alternative would be to take your plane to Mark Drath (SuperCubMD). Mark is in New Holstein, which may be a bit out of your way, but he knows PA-12s (I take my plane to him).

Sorry, TJ, I probably implied something that I didn't mean to. Here's where I was going: over the years the IAs that have signed off my plane have found things that they didn't think were kosher. When they did, they were very helpful in getting the paperwork (337s) through the mill quickly, or in cost effectively correcting the problem. I may have read Rotate's posting the wrong way, but it struck me that his IA wasn't being particularly helpful, so that's why I suggested finding a new IA. I wasn't trying to imply that he should look for an IA who would sign off something that didn't meet regs.

I agree w/ MV. There is a surprising difference in size between 8.50's and 8.00. I know this guy w/ a -12 who used to have bootlegged 8.50's then after suffering from guilty conscience for years and getting a new IA, went to the 8.00's :wink: Then he found supercub.org and has since become enlightened to all the options that are legal and available.
Chris

Thanks to everybody for all the help--here's what I found in my research, and what actions I will take:
1. Ordered and received from UNIVAIR, the STC they hold for Cleveland wheels and brakes, good for just about all the Cubs
2. That STC is legal for 6.00X6, 7.00X6 and 8.00X6--ONLY.
3. There are NO STC's for 8.50's (that I could find), although Steve Krog has copies of some that apparently were filled out, but never submitted--they are unsigned.
4. Steve Pierce sent me a copy of an FAA Bulletin "HBAW 97-01B" (Amended) from 4-22-97, giving the procedural hoops to jump through in getting a field approval of up to 35X15 tires.
5. I bought some 8.00X6's so I can fly while my 337 for 8.50's courses through the FAA bureaucracy--who knows how long that will take.
6. And--oh yes!--I'm keeping my IA... :roll:
Happy flying...

We need to use 8.50's till the bigger tires get here on a pa-18.

Any updates on getting stc or field approval on the Super Cub..?

I am trying to do some leg work for the ia.

thanks, Kem

I'm not quite sure I understand if you have a 12 or an 18 from the thread title and your question but if its an 18 Dodge has an stc for 850's; if its a 12 with 18 gear Dodge has an stc, if it is a 12 with 12 or 14 gear you will need a field approval for 850's; or so I have concluded from my research.

Thanks mt12.
using the search, I came up with this 2006 thread. It seamed to fit my question.

I have a pa18. It has a F/A for 8.50s with Pawnee brakes. Sooooooo.

we will put on 31s, just not in near term.

Thx, kem

Hi folks.

I realize this is kind of an old thread, but does anyone have any updated information regarding an STC for the 8.50x6 tires on the PA-12 / PA14 gear with the Cleveland 40-60 wheels?

As best I can tell from all the searching If you want to put the 8.50x6 Aero Classic tires on a PA12 with the PA14 gear, then your choices are:
a) buy the Grove kit with approval for the larger tires, or
b) do a 337.

Is this still the case?

r.

I don't know of an STC for 850's on a 12 with 12/14 gear (see thread #17 above). I did just get a field approval 337 approved by the Helena FSDO dated 4-6-15 if that would help you. If you'd like it pm me with your email and snail mail address and I'll see if I can figure out how to make a scan or a copy and send it your way.

doug

I bought for my PA 2220 an STC for 8.50s from a fellow in Alaska I wonder if he has paperwork for PA 12?unfortunately I am not at the hanger and don't remember his name Steve pierse would know

Back