• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tool-Time....WHOOF! WHOOF!

Frank T

Minnesota
I would like to get some input from the Pros here.

I need to get myself a pneumatic drill and rivet gun. I'm leaning heavily toward Sioux, but am open to all opinions (but I want GOOD tools, not junk).

First..what speed 1/4" drill? 2600, 3600, or 6000 rpm's. I was thinking 3600. The 6000 rpm is twice as heavy and just seems like overkill.

Second..On the rivet gun, should I get a 2X, 3X, or go all the way to a 4X. I would prefer to purchase just one really good gun.

Thanks Guys!

Frank

Bottom line, a 4X with a good throttle and a small, light drill that'll do at least 2500rpm with 3500rpm being optimal. I'm assuming this is for sheet aluminum work?

Some will disagree, but I am of the opinion that you can do it all with a 4X gun(except for maybe float work or big-jets for which you'll need a big-dadddy gun) . Get a 4X with a decent trigger..meaning...one that has a gradual throttle action. You'll probably need to actually use one you like and then purchase the same type. Just buying any old 4X gun that you're willing to "massage" the trigger and valve on is an acceptable way to get nice throttle action. (after others have called me a nut I'll present my arguments for why a 4X does it all)

On the drill: Pan-American used to have several drills in varying speeds for about 90 bucks apiece. They're not pretty like the Sioux's. But, you could own 3 different speed drills, or one regular and one 90 degree drill from PanAmerican.

I have a PA drill the same size as the small Sioux. The Sioux is decent, but spendy. Anyway, this little PA of mine (90 dollars in 1992) has lasted a while now. It even got used and abused after propwash filled it with sand and dirt while it was laying outside next to a project. After running it and have it grind to a halt, I dressed the vanes flat and it's run along time since that incident.

You don't have to spend big bucks to achieve very good workmanship. DAVE

Might want to get a drill that has reverse. That is my only complaint with the souix I have. They do make one with reverse....

Tim

Frank, check out ebay on tools.I have had good luck buying used tools.They have tons of aircraft and other tools.I have never got burned using ebay.I have tons of snap on stuff at my business( i run an auto garage).A year or so i started putting together a tool set for my hangar.I just could'nt justify buying all new,and hated running back to the garage for tools.I bought a used box for under 1000 with shippin,it listed for 6000 on the matco truck.I have also bought a bout a grand of used snap on stuff thru ebay as well.This stuff would have cost over 8000 on the snap on truck.One example i bought a used set of one inch drive tools,it included the ratchet,14 sockets and extensions with the case.The snap on dealer said it would have cost about 3 grand new,and i only paid 144 thru ebay and i think the shipping was about 35 bucks.

Chicago Pneumatic has a very nice 1/4" drill at a very good price.
7300 or 7300R if a reverse is desired. I have a Sioux and a IR that are
both excellent. I would by the CP if any needed replacement. Look on the
net, both are less than $100.00.

I built an RV8 and used a 3X gun for all work. A 2X would be too small
for larger rivets. A 4X is too large for some people, but I know sheet metal guys that use 4X for everything.

There are some very good experimental tool suppliers with high quality tools. Avery, Cleveland and Brown.

Back