• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stearman Advice

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
A friend bought a Stearman today. Not a show winner but a good solid airplane. been reading my past issues of Stearman restorers Associtation mag and wondered if anyone here had any experience with them. It will be here next week for an extensive annual.

Steve,
They are fun to fly, cost a lot to run and maintain and are hard to sell these days...
Watch the brakes on landing..
Is that enough advice.....?????

Sam

8)

They say there has never been an inflight structural failure, except for Rollie Cole's engine mount. I found a bearing totally worn out in the elevator push rod, but the airplane still flew beautifully. If you can fly a J-3, you can fly a Stearman. Opinion.

I agree with the J3 analogy.

Besides wheelies, get the stick all the way back and keep it back, and it just rolls straight as can be. Most I have flown with who think they are squirely to land, let the tail drop, and the stick just bobs around where it wants.

They are a blast if you know how to have fun with them!

Mattias, thanks for that link. I never knew of John Mohr, what an amazing pilot. I have become bored with Pitts and Sukhoi acts. I rarely pay attention to them at air shows and fly-ins. Now this Stearman act is something I could watch all day!

Here is the video link if anyone wants to view directly (26mb - broadband only recommended):
http://www.primashock.com/mohr/promovideo_02.wmv

I'd heard about John Mohr (and his stock Stearman snap-roll directly after take off!) when I went to my first Sun'n'Fun in 2004. By lucky chance I met him at a party one of the evenings. And as one of my friends also got a stock Stearman and was very interested in John Mohr's act, we had quite a long conversation about Stearmans - and music. He's a talented guitar player too so it wouldn't surprise me if he's playing the music on the website.

Needless to say I watched his act the whole week...

/Mattias

Bob Huer used to do a good job in a Stearman as did Bob lyjak in his taperwing

Dave

Stearman

Steve,
Damian down at Andover Flight has had one for the past year. Maybe he can give you some insite.
By the way...Damian is an advertiser on this site, great instructor and looooads of fun to fly with in case anyone is looking for Top Cub or Stearman time. (I'd say more Damian....but then they'd need a shovel).
Llaura

NEVER pass up a chance to see John Mohr fly, it will be one the most amazing routines you'll ever see.

Steve

There is a young man, our age, in Louise Tx, small town between Corpus Christi and Hou that does Stearman restorations. His name escapes me now but I'll bet a phone call or two will turn him up. He has won Oshkosh a couple of times and would probably be able to answer any oddball questions that may come up. Very nice guy.

Holds a little fly in every year. Has his own strip with a set of high power wires over the center of the strip. Calls it the "under-the-wire" fly-in.

Bill

Got it. Memory like a steel trap, unfortunately rusted shut. Well a little penetrating oil, and here we go. Robbie Vajdos at the Flying V airport, in Louise Tx.

Got that name from David Martin also. He is getting me a phone number in the am. Small world this aviation thing. :D Thanks. Can't wait to go through this thing and get to fly another airplane of my dreams. :D

They are very basic planes, everything opens up nice and is easy to work on. Only thing I can think of on the airframe that might be tricky is the brakes if it has the one piece shoes. Take the time to adjust them up even or they can be grabby. Air Repair and Dusters and Sprayers are good for parts, etc. The military erection manual should have everything you need.

Make sure that extensive annual includes a lot of extensive flight tests..... Get in the back seat, it has the best visibility. Adjust the seat at low as you can, don't think keeping it high will help you see. All you get up high is beat up in the airstream and your toes on the brakes when you don't want them to be. Down low you get a better sight reference down the fuselage. Adjust the rudder pedals forward so you are not dragging on the brakes. While taxiing find a reference point in the airplane that aligns with the horizon when 3 point, usually a valve on the engine. When you lift the tail on takeoff, try to remember the attitude and peripheral sight picture when running on the mains. Landing approaches should be power on. Stearmans are all drag and glide like a set of car keys power off. A Stearman flys by tearing a big hole in the sky and shoving itself through it. Make sure the right shoulder harness is loose enough so you can reach the carb heat. If you have someone in front and a intercom, it makes life easier to have them work the carb heat. Make a power on approach with a slight slip keeping your touchdown point in sight along side the fuselage. When close to the ground, kick it straight, put your head and shoulders back and set the mains on still carrying power. Set up extra high the first few landings, the gear is taller than you think, and you will probably bounce a few, always be ready for the go around. When you get both mains down with some weight on them and everything is pointed in the right direction, start pulling the power and easing stick forward as the tail comes down. Hold the tail off as long as possible and stick into any crosswind. Dance the rudder till everything is down and stopped. It's a heavy airplane and if you let it get to far away from you, you will be fixing a wing tip and aileron. Don't let the airplane intimidate you, stay in control, get lazy or passive and it will bite you. That's all there is to it, have fun. :D

And also, everyone should go out of their way to watch John Mohr fly his Stearman. Great pilot and a good guy. It's even more impressive to pilots who have flown stock Stearmans to see what he can make that airplane do.

Edit - Along with Air Repair, I forgot Dusters and Sprayers for parts, manuals, and info, etc.

www.airrepairinc.com

www.dustersandsprayers.com

I own a Stearman currently and agree with everything that has been said. If your buddies has been converted to the Red Line brakes he need not worry about the brakes grabbing. The previous post is 100% true as far as good posture when performing take-off and landings. Sit up straight and and look through the back of the head of the person in front. Most Stearmans have to be soloed from the rear due to cg concerns and will be placarded.

People will tell you to fly at 70 on final, I consider this way to fast if the stall strips have been removed, as most have. I use 60-65 depending on the wind conditions. Never more that 65. 60 is so nice for consistent 3 pointers. No float, no bounce, less energy to tear things up in the unfortunate event of a ground loop. The machine is a very honest straight forward aircraft. They are not ground looping S.O.B.'s as most people who have never flown one would have you believe.

They are big and loud and a little intimidating to the beginer. Once you get use to that, they become as much a part of you as Super Cubs are to the fine people on this site. I wish I had a Super Cub!!!

Dave Hughes
pwr1830@fuse.net

I agree with Dave 100% here. I fly final at 70, but cross the fence between 60 - 65 with a 3 pointer and a straight line. Steramans are not hard to fly and they don't try to swap ends on you any more than a Supercub. Unless you have the larger engine, you will have to fly in ground effect a bit to pick up speed. Stearmans are large birds and need a bit of room to speed up before climbing out if you have the smaller engine. The biggest adjustment you will have to make is to re-adjust your 3 point reference as your butt is much higher off the ground in the Stearman than in the SC. We have the Red Line brakes on the one I fly and I would consider it a "must do mod" as it allows confident use of the brakes without worry.

Bottom line...it was built as a trainer and handles like one. Not really any bad tendencies other than the ones that the pilot puts into it. Fly it and have fun.

This is the one that I fly on occasion. Great camera ship from the backseat for air to air photos.

DSCF1257.JPG

-Low

Also wear a coat dark in color that you don't mind getting oil on and wear goggles. :D Also remember to secure everything in the unoccupied front seat.My buddy lost his front seat,a customer of mine thought it was me flying it and returned it to my shop a few days later.

That looks like Jimmy Berkeen's Stearman out of Colonial. 8) Have Redline brakes. I prefer three point landings if that will work. Does it land and take-off anything like an Ag Cat? I am pretty comfortable in them.

Ron, I don't think I can get Lee away from his e-mail long enough to do anything. :D Actually he sent me all the stuff un his Stearman. This one is not near as nice but is a good solid airplane from what I could tell.

Mark, I was impressed with all the access to things.

I can't wait to get her in the shop. I'm excited. :D

I don't have all that much time in Stearmans, but it is split evenly between front and back. I have the most time in an A75N1, and I found the visibility vastly superior in the front. The paperwork said it couldn't be overloaded or flown out of envelope, practically no matter who sat where and how heavy they were. It did do a nice wheel landing, but it did just as nicely 3- point. I always taught 3-pointers, with wheel landings later. It could handle almost as much crosswind as a Cub.

If you would like to try an aircraft with really limited forward visiblilty, try a UPF-7. Back seat is slightly better, but neither seat is anywhere near as good as a Stearman. Good intro to a Stearman is the back seat of a Super Cub. Master that with a big guy up front, and the Stearman is yours. Just another opinion.

Steve Pierce said:
That looks like Jimmy Berkeen's Stearman out of Colonial. 8)

Good eye! Jimmy still ownes 1/4 of it, but does not fly it more than once a year or so. Darin Butcher, Rick Rice, and I fly it most of the time so it flies at least 3 or 4 times a month. It is still at Colonial which is where the picture is taken. There are 3 other Stearmans at Charles Baker (2M8) that are owned by Milo High and a few others and we get together and fly with them a bit.

-Low

I too, fly Jimmy Burkeen's 220 Stearman from time to time. I't's like a big ole puppy dog. Flies sort of like a Chevy Suburban drives, but is very well coordinated. I carry some power till short final, and then 3-point it. A very docile airplane. I do recommend caution on taxi speed when making a sharp 180 taxiing turn from downwind back into the wind, as the gear is somewhat narrow and the windward wing is prone to lifting. It flies a lot like a heavy J-3 and visibility is about the same. I recommend either a turning approach or slipping till very short final to improve runway visibility. The front and rear airspeeds on Jimmy's Stearman read about 10 mph different, so indicated approach speed depends upon whether you're in the front or rear seat. In the front seat, it's about 80 indicated. Like Chris above, on liftoff, I level out in ground effect for a moment till I build up to climb speed. Anyone who is comfortable in a Cub can fly a Stearman, no sweat.

Jimmy's Stearman is for sale, is in good condition, and would be a great buy for anyone wanting a Stearman.

Chris, I can't open your new Male website -- just get a blank purple screen and a 'transferring data' message that never ends.

All the best,
JimC

Dan2+2 said:
I WANT ONE! looks great.

There's a 450 model for sale in Minnesota. They're asking $75k for it, I think.

Weber's Aero Repair, in Alexandria, MN. 320-763-4066; ask for Kevin. You can even mention my name and not have to pay extra.

Jon B.

JimC said:
Jimmy's Stearman is for sale, is in good condition, and would be a great buy for anyone wanting a Stearman.

Chris, I can't open your new Male website -- just get a blank purple screen and a 'transferring data' message that never ends.

All the best,
JimC

I am still kicking myself for not buying a share of it a few years back when they offered it to me and I was still single so I could afford it. It is a great plane and would make a good toy for anyone wanting a Stearman.

Jim, you mentioned Windows 3.1 in a prior message and it may not like the Flash into on the site so use this link and it will by-pass the Flash intro.

http://www.maulepilots.com/index2.html

This one will bypass the main site and take you straight to the forum.

http://maulepilots.com/Maulepilots/phpbb2/index.php

-Low

Chris, no joy.
I can bring the forum up and view it, using the second link. Hoever, attempting a response brings a neverending 'Waiting for reply' message. I sure will be glad when my primary computer is up and running again. Windows Three Eleven is a pain.
Jim
P.S. I hope to be able to catch up with you at M54 tomorrow. I'll call when my schedule is more definite.

Steve, Robbie is about as good as they come on Stearmans. His only business is rebuilding them. Great guy to.

Robbie Vajdos <flyingv>
979 648 2163
Louise
TX

Back