• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Is our own Doug Swingley burning up the trail or what??!!

cov06_mar08_01_01.jpg

Supercubber Doug on the trail... interesting sled, has he, I wonder if it's made out of super cub parts!

I'm rooting for Jeff King. Good guy, and the guy who had that 'interesting' sled first!

DAVE

I don't care who wins the race. I'm pulling for Susan Butcher.

Stewart

Was drooling over trade a plane the other night and I think Doug Swingley has his Cub for sale, Looks like a dandy.

4-time past champion, including 3 consecutive wins. She retired to have a family, which she now does. She was diagnosed with Leukemia earlier this winter. She's a very popular sports celebrity around these parts. Lots of us are hoping she's around for a good long time. I'm sure every musher on the trail is thinking about her as well.

Stewart

Even in California we know who Susan Butcher is, she has impressed me. From the sound of your posts my fear was what you just confirmed. What a shame. My prayers are with her and her family.

S.

Though there has never won a musher older than 47 (Robert Sorlie in '05),
Doug has the right spirit to win with a good team. Heard he is restoring a second Cub.
Good luck to Dee Dee, a tough women for sure, and all the other teams on the trail !

http://www.iditarod.com/

By-the-way, Jeff King has already taken the mandatory 24hour layover and is only one checkpoint behind Doug S. and the others with him. Jeff and Ally Zirkle are the real ones kicking butt now, becasue they've taken the 24 hour already. Yay!

Go Aliiy! That girl could haul all of em to the finish line. She's a great musher, and a great gal.

MTV

StewartB said:
4-time past champion, including 3 consecutive wins. She retired to have a family, which she now does. She was diagnosed with Leukemia earlier this winter. She's a very popular sports celebrity around these parts. Lots of us are hoping she's around for a good long time. I'm sure every musher on the trail is thinking about her as well.

Stewart

I have a good friend that got the same thing. One year younger than me. What it did and the radiation / chemo / etc did to her is indescribable, really really sad. The good news is she pulled through, but one very tough road (3+ years of nightmare conditions & treatments). She's just now recovering (still doesn't go out of her house after a year quarantine after going home from hospital following marrow transplant). They originally gave her less than 16% chance to live.

wacodriver said:
Though there has never won a musher older than 47 (Robert Sorlie in '05),
Doug has the right spirit to win with a good team. Heard he is restoring a second Cub.
Good luck to Dee Dee, a tough women for sure, and all the other teams on the trail !

I always used to root for Charlie Boulding, but he's not running this year. Guess he's retired?

I'd like to see Dee-Dee win once. She keeps on trying and something weird always happens to her.

xx

My wife and I had a game of collecting booties on the river while flying the trail after the restart (real start).

A pink booty from DeeDee's team would have trumped ALL the others together!

Sometimes a brown booty spotted from the air turned out not to be a booty at all! :Gparp:

Doug's gaining a few minutes on every leg of the race so far. It's going to be a very interesting finish. Very competitive in the top 10. DeeDee's hanging in there. Sure would like to see here win one!!

85Mike

What an exciting race! Congrats to Jeff King, Doug Swingley, Paul Gebhardt and Dee Dee Jonrowe, #1 through 4 respectively!

You can see the finish line videos at http://mushing.bssd.org/. (you will need Quicktime 7, the earlier versions don't support the compression used in these videos).

Back