• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

learning on skis

scout88305

SPONSOR
Northern Minnesota
Several years ago I was learning to fly. Winter quickly approached right on the heels of my first solo and the Champ I was using all of a sudden sprouted skis. My first year of flight consisted of more ski hours than wheel time. I got comfortable with the lakes and judging safe areas to land. Away from the rock hard drifts and debris left by fishermen. I also landed on rivers and fields and grass runways that had no maintenance. I was finding deeper snow all the time and this challenged me to some degree. I got stuck several times and learned to carry an aluminum grain scoop for shoveling and of course snowshoes. I was learning and having a ball. One day with a good 50 hours ski experience under my belt I dropped in over one of the many frozen rice patties in this area. It was a flat light overcast day. Coyotes, fox and other critters frequent this kind of terraign and there is always something happening. This day was to be no different.
I looked things over real well making two passes at different directions. Finally satisfied, I reduced power and glided over a ditch and what appeared to be a pumping station. This was in March after some warm weather. The lakes were thick with ice and the snow was heavy and in the melt stage. After a textbook landing I shut down out in the middle, got out and took a leak. I walked around a little and studied the animal tracks in the snow. I love tracks and the story they tell. Soon my tracks would tell their own story. "What a beautiful day" I thought aloud. Sipping on a cold Dr. Pepper and nibbling on some venision I glanced out across the far tree-line. I remember listening to the tick tick tick of a cooling Continental engine and the croaking call of a hoarse sounding Raven telling me to "beware". I started to reflect on the many freedoms we have like flying small planes to wild places. I was preparing to take a photo but something was terribly wrong causing me to choke on my summer sausage. It seemed to all happen at once. I heard and felt the ice shift causing my eyes to grow big as saucers. I also observed a considerable sagging on the rice patty near the plane. Right then and there I ran in 10 foot strides to the Champ and did one of them Indiana Jones light the fire I'm outta here take-offs. The Black-Sheep squadron would have been proud! I was airborne and combat ready in seconds yet no Japanese Zeros joined me and no arrows or spears rained down upon my beloved Champ; only a lone Raven witnessed the show of this fledgling ski-pilot. I was to find out later after returning to my home field that the rice patty was drained in early winter leaving a hollow shell beneath the ice. I had landed on maybe 6" of ice with a heavy snow load. Warm weather was weakening my placid runway from both sides. The drop to the bottom wasn't life threatening but to a Champ 6 feet would have swallowed us up and caused damage. I now consider rice patties a place to shoot ducks and harvest rice. I seldom have the desire to land on them anymore.

good story

Good story its almost like i was there when i was reading it.Maybe you
should write a book.

I am always amazed at the hidden talents on this site. Great story and great writing Scout. Rick :D :D :D :D :D :D

Its so much fun reading the posts on this site lots to learn tell me what you guys think tail ski or no tail ski I am about to put my skis on my 12 for the first time....

I've got to parrot everyone else. Great story, great writing. Six feet of airspace under the ice? Who knew...

Scout.....makes you wonder how the mind and body can take it....one second your relaxed, taking in the beauty of the area and the next your in the fight and flight mode. Great story!

Back