• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flight Through Canada ?

J5Ron

GONE WEST
Valdez, Alaska
Is there any difficulty in fliing an experimental through Canada to Alaska? Special Permits?

Off the top of my head:

1) Proof of Canadian insurance coverage

2) Pilot should have "restricted FCC license"

3) No handguns, US Customs form for rifles/shotguns

4) Survival gear if going far north

5) Good idea to have copy of logbook showing annual inspection, etc

6) Same goes for your BFR

7) If you have a DUI on your record, be prepared to turn around and go home

Otherwise, normal/experimental certificated aircraft transit should not be a problem. Usually, they are more concerned about the pilot than the aircraft.

Probably missing something, but hope that helps

No problem with an Italian Military paint job.. they let me right in.
I believe that they do not require a Radio License.
I was not asked for Canadian Insurance - perhaps they require it now.
Unless you are going to leave the airplane in Canada, you'll need a US Border Inspection Sticker. You can buy it at the US Border when you cross back into the US or you can get one ahead of time.
You can have alcohol for your own consumption and they'll probly ask if you have it. Definitely no hand guns. I had a shotgun.
The Canadians are great to deal with... but they can get testy... for example, I stated my arrival at a Canadian destination based on my flying time - I failed to account for the change in time zone. I was interrogated thoroughly over the telephone but they finally accepted my answer. The good part was that the Border Crossing reentry into Canada was approved over the phone.. and much more courtesly than the US Border folks.. When I entered Wyoming, I was met by Customs, DEA, INS - seven inspectors in all - , they made me take EVERYTHING out of my Cub.. and the drug sniffing dog pissed on my tires.
And this was BEFORE 9-11!
Be prepared to pay for Flight Service - they'll send you a bill.

ICAO rules (not Canadian) require a restricted radiotelephone operator's certificate when travelling outside the US. I've never heard of anyone being asked for one.

Also, when they ask you if you have any vegetable products, just say no. Depending on where you cross, agricultural issues are bigger than drugs.

MTV

flight through canada

I have nothing but good to say about my flight through canada last summer in my homebuilt. Both the Eaa and Aopa have some good info.
I did not get the radio lic. and no one ask for it.
I hear that this year you will need a passport to get back in the good old USA
Doug

They will ask for medical and liscence!

Also, have your passport or birth certificate.

Not only DUI, but any big conviction will get you turned around.

The canpass is good, but be prepared to be told to stand by and wait for the inspectors.

Hand guns, or barrels shorter than 18" are not good, but I heard that there was now a "locked box" provision that you can seal them up if you need to cross. I have heard about it here where we cross to the north. Check first.

Above all, Canadians are nice people, (up here anyway). I have had the customs guy wave me through at 35 mph in the past. But boy, show just a hint of dissrespect and you be in for a long stay. :morning:

US customs, some of them go to the same jerk school as the FAA.

HydroCub said:
Off the top of my head:

1) Proof of Canadian insurance coverage

My understanding is that you need proof of insurance, period. Does not have to be special to Canada, but should cover flying through Canada. I just got off the phone with my insurance agent because I'll be doing it this summer, and he told me just to make a copy of my policy to show them.

HydroCub said:
3) No handguns, US Customs form for rifles/shotguns

From my understanding you CAN bring handguns, but a lot of red tape needs to be done ahead of time. Go here for details:

http://panda.com/canadaguns/#howbad

and

http://panda.com/canadaguns/#entering

and

http://panda.com/canadaguns/#att

Christina,

There is a special form your insurance carrier will fill out for Canada. Would strongly advise you have it with you..... with original signatures. Contact me if you wish more specific info. Your underwriter knows what it's all about..... never trust an agent. Seldom do they ask, but if you don't have what they want, life will get difficult.

Yes, when transiting Canada, you may get handguns "sealed" for transit through.

HydroCub said:
Christina,

There is a special form your insurance carrier will fill out for Canada. Would strongly advise you have it with you..... with original signatures. Contact me if you wish more specific info. Your underwriter knows what it's all about..... never trust an agent. Seldom do they ask, but if you don't have what they want, life will get difficult.

Will PM you, but this excerpt about flying in Canada from the AOPA website also says you may simply bring your policy:

Insurance

Before departing the United States, you should check with your aircraft insurance agent to verify that your coverage extends to Canada.

Private aircraft, including amateur-built and ultralight aircraft, operating in Canadian airspace are required by Canadian regulations to carry liability insurance. The amount and types of coverage are based on the aircraft’s gross takeoff weight as shown below:

Up to 2,300 lbs.: $100,000 public liability only
2,301 to 5,000 lbs.: $500,000 public liability only
5,001 to 12,500 lbs.: $1,000,000 public liability and $300,000 passenger liability per passenger on board

The regulations also dictate that pilots carry proof of insurance on board the aircraft. Pilots should contact their insurance agent and request a certificate of insurance or a letter stating that the aircraft is carrying the appropriate amounts of coverage to satisfy the Canadian requirements. If a certificate of insurance cannot be obtained, then the whole insurance policy maybe carried as proof of insurance.

Complete regulations regarding Canadian liability insurance can be found in CAR 606.02.

Hi All,
For others who fly through Canada in addition to Hydrocub, what do you do for proof of insurance? An official Canadian govt certificate, or a copy of your policy?

Just curious... thanks!

What about 2" numbers? If they are legal on a U.S. plane will they let you through customs? Crash

Crash said:
What about 2" numbers? If they are legal on a U.S. plane will they let you through customs? Crash

Crash, there was a discussion here about this a few months ago. This was a problem that I had with my L-21B (not only small 2", but hidden under the horizontal stabilizer).

So I called AOPA and they told me that there is no ADIZ between the US and Canada, unless I'm crossing offshore which I'm not.

Back