• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Half Way Through Building 180 Hp Smith Cub in Texas #2

GeneHerzog

Sulphur Springs, Texas
My wife and I are approx 50% through building a Smith Super Cub with Superior XP-360 engine.

If anyone wants pics or a description of our installations please let me know. I have gotten a tremendous amount of info from this web site and will be happy to answer any questions I can in return. I have a great resource in having American Legend Aircraft as close friends and 2 hangars away from me here in Sulphur Springs.

Thanks Again to All

Always has to be a smart ass around. Funny though. I did one experimental project and don't know how I ever finished it. I did commit 4 years of all my spare time to it. My current experimental project is 90% complete with 90% yet to go. I've been working about a day a year on it. wonder why it is taking so long????

Don

Yard Dart,

The American Legend people are just going about their business and not saying much publicly. They went to mediation and the CC guys were evidently not too willing to negotiate.

The Amer Legend guys basically think its silly in the first place. Their production schedule is out to October, have 37 people on the payroll and are building new production facilities.

All is really well down here.

Gene

Battery location?

Gene,
Are you installing your battery in the stock location above the baggage compartment? Can you describe the way you are routing your fuel lines? 3/8" or 1/2" fuel lines? Do you have a wide body model? Thanks!

Barry,

It looks like we are going to put the battery under the rear seat in the storage box. I am using the master control box produced by Lamar Industries. It makes it easy to hook up and centralizes the elex components.

The cub is 4" wider than the normal cub, as I guess all Smith Cubs are.

The fuel lines are 3/8" and are routed from the 2 drain valves under and behind the back seat. They run from that point up to the fuel selector a long the left side of the plane. This is for the rear tank ports. The lines from the front tank ports both run down the windshield posts and meet at the fuel selector valve. I am using the Andair valve with left, rt and both selections.

I can send pics if you want to send me a PM so I can attach them.

My biggest problem is finding a prop for the Superior XP O-360 engine with the hollow crankshaft. The Sensenich 76/56 has a rpm restriction between 2150 and 2350.

We are going to the Clyde Smith seminar at Steve Pierce's place this weekend and wont be around to send the fuel line pics until next week.

Gene

What did you come up with for a prop for that engine? I looking at the same engine.

Gerald,
We decided on a Sensenich wood prop with a glass covering :
Part No. W80CM8-46G which is a 80" with a 46" pitch. The cost is exactly
$2465 and will dampen the vibrations and problem with the harmonics of the hollow crank engine. Have not actually put it on the airplane, but received yesterday.

Gene Herzog

Back